LibreWolf

securitybreach

securitybreach

Switched from Firefox after finding this gem.

"This project aims at enforcing privacy and security of Firefox without forking the project. Librefox uses more than 500 privacy/security/performance settings, patches, Librefox-Addons (optional) and a cleaned bundle of Firefox (updater, crashreporter and Firefox's integrated addons that don't respect privacy are removed)."

OD9mEJ0.png

https://librewolf-community.gitlab.io/

Available in the Arch's AUR

• Thanks 1
  • +1 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... interesting. Something to ponder. I may d-load and run as a binary installation just to see what's what.

• Agree 1

Looks interesting. Not in Debian repo though so I probably won't. There is an Appimage.

I never had any security or privacy issues with Firefox in ~20 years of using it, although I do a few tweaks to help with that for Justin.

• Agree 1

securitybreach

Granted, Leanplum is only on ios and android but still. Quote from mozilla:

“Firefox by default sends data about what features you use in Firefox to Leanplum, our mobile marketing vendor, which has its own privacy policy. This data allows us to test different features and experiences, as well as provide customized messages and recommendations for improving your experience with Firefox.”

They did remove it when it came to light but makes you wonder.. That said, I think it is much better than what chrome does.

8 hours ago, securitybreach said:

I consider that article to be rubbish written by someone with an anti-Firefox agenda. The headline "privacy nightmare" is overcooking the pooch in the extreme. Turning off telemetry is the first thing I do after a fresh install (it's under "Preferences" even)  as well as most of these tweaks - https://restoreprivacy.com/firefox-privacy/

I was going to rant on a bit but most of it has been said in the comments so I'll just quote:

The article’s headline is very clickbait-y, in my opinion. Without challenging the factual information of the article, I think it’s pretty reckless to word the headline in a way that implies privacy-concerned users should not be using Firefox, when virtually all of the alternatives are worse to an almost inconceivable degree. It cannot be seriously suggested that people use a Chromium-based browser instead. Even if the intention behind the article is to highlight issues and weaknesses in Firefox regardless of what their competitors are doing, it should give a minimal amount of context through an overview of the current state of the web and the browser market. Otherwise, it reads like an opinion piece by someone who wants to get back at Mozilla for some reason.

This article is a farce — Firefox moves to allow users more control over already carefully stripped and limited telemetry data, and somehow this is a privacy disaster? Almost every significant pc application collects some kind of similar telemetry data, and many of them do it in a far opaque way than Firefox. The extent to which you’ve overblown the issue is unreal.

Frankly, this is shameful mudslinging at a group that continues be one of the models for user privacy and transparent operation.