USB wifi adapter

zlim

Someone new to linux has finally got a USB stick to boot into Mint but he can't get online with his old wifi adapter.

Can anyone point me to a USB wifi adapter that works well in linux?

7 minutes ago, zlim said:

Someone new to linux has finally got a USB stick to boot into Mint but he can't get online with his old wifi adapter.

Can anyone point me to a USB wifi adapter that works well in linux?

Ndiswrapper is still available in Mint and should allow them to use the Windows driver for their wifi adapter.

Thanks, Josh. I will throw him the link.

Ndiswrapper is still available in Mint

Sorry, that is too hard for someone completely new to linux. This person struggled even to make a live USB stick.

Hedon James, sorry but I don't know what Bolse is.

15 minutes ago, zlim said:

Thanks, Josh. I will throw him the link.

Sorry, that is too hard for someone completely new to linux. This person struggled even to make a live USB stick.

Hedon James, sorry but I don't know what Bolse is.

Bolse is just a brand/manufacturer of usb wifi dongles that I've had 100% success with.  I was gonna post an Amazon link for you to see, but i don't see any Bolse in the list.....looks like maybe they went under, or got bought out?  But I did see this one in the list, advertised as linux-compatible, and speeds up to 867 mbps if connected to a 5Ghz signal.  That would be really good speed for a home network.  And I'm a huge fan of the nano/micro designs, especially for laptops, as the small size makes it unlikely you'll bump the stick and bugger up the usb port.  FWIW...

https://us.amazon.com/D-Link-Wireless-Internet-Supported-DWA-181-US/dp/B07YYL3RYJ/ref=sr_1_20?dchild=1&keywords=usb+wifi&qid=1634044560&s=electronics&sr=1-20

@ HJ I have researched a bunch of AC adapters and it appears that Linux performance can be a bit spotty as compared to the slower old school N wifi adapters. Tried and true Atheros does not seem to make an AC chipset, and of the two that do - Mediatek and Realtek, Mediatek is preferable because in most cases its drivers are in the kernel. Realtek can be made to work but you may have to make and install the driver as well as put the module in the kernel.

I haven't tried a modern AC adapter in Linux because I still get decent performance out of my N adapters. Right now I am getting close to 200Mbps on my Intel dual band N adapter in the Thinkpad.

Here's the current wifi situation for me in Linux:

Thinkpad - Intel dual band N

Lenovo - Atheros single band N

Old Dell desktop - Realtek single band N

Home built desktop - Atheros single band N

Toshiba netbook - Atheros single band N

All have internal wifi except for the old Dell which has a TP-Link nano adapter.

Edited by raymac46

I've had a lot more problems with older wifi adapters not working with Windows, in the last couple of years, then with Linux.  I think any new wifi adapter should work with Linux if you are using a version with a fairly up to date kernel.  But, as I stated earlier, Ndiswrapper should make any adapter usable.

The only wifi adapter that gave me trouble in Windows was an Atheros AR956X internal one in a Lenovo Flex2 laptop. That one used to disconnect randomly in Windows. Since I switched the laptop over to Linux it works perfectly.

2 hours ago, raymac46 said:

The only wifi adapter that gave me trouble in Windows was an Atheros AR956X internal one in a Lenovo Flex2 laptop. That one used to disconnect randomly in Windows. Since I switched the laptop over to Linux it works perfectly.

I've had wifi adapters that worked fine in Win 7 but failed completely when the box was upgraded to Win 10.