SSD Data Recovery Advice?

snminc

Greetings to all,

I have recently replaced my Power Supply, on booting for the first time the PC went into BIOS.

Have swopped aroud some cables it seems my Crucial 120GB SSD is dead.

When connect to a laptop vis a USB adaptor cable Disk Manager reports the SSD as 'No Media'

I have tried using EASEUS & Disk Recovery but neither package 'sees' the SSD.

Can anyone recommend how to bring the SSD 'Back to life' or failing that how to recover the

data fom a Documents Partition?

Many thanks,

Scott

Edited by snminc

securitybreach

This is very odd. If you did not format it, the data should still be there. There are no moving parts on an SSD so its not really prone to the failures of SATA drives. Download a linux distro and boot it live to see if the drive shows up. I would think maybe the master boot record got messed up or something. Perhaps windows cannot see it but linux will be able to (had that happen dozens of times).

The best way to recover data from a dead SSD is to restore your backup. If you don't have a backup, make sure you do next time.

“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Spinrite isn't good for ssd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpinRite#Solid_state_drives

In episode 194 of the podcast

Security Now! Gibson said that he could "see absolutely no possible benefit to running SpinRite on a solid-state drive" and later "SpinRite is all about mechanics and magnetics, neither of which exist, by design, in an SSD"

46 minutes ago, crp said:

Absolutely WRONG!

wikipedia needs to be changed.

my goodness, that is from 10 years ago.

Exactly what is wrong about it?

Here's the whole section in case you didn't read it:

Solid state drives

Spinrite can be run and can be effective on SSDs, but running in a higher-level mode than 1 or 2 is detrimental, as it wears the SSD by writing to it unnecessarily. In episode #387 of the podcast Security Now! Gibson said "Run Level 2 because Level 1 is not permitted to fix anything" "The difference is both Level 1 and 2 are read-only, and that's the key. You don't want to run Level 4" [11] In episode 194 of the podcast Security Now! Gibson said that he could "see absolutely no possible benefit to running SpinRite on a solid-state drive" and later "SpinRite is all about mechanics and magnetics, neither of which exist, by design, in an SSD".[12] In episode 338 Gibson clarified "it is actually detrimental because [solid-state drives] don't like to be written", but also pointing out that a read-only run could be beneficial: "SpinRite's Level 1 is a read-only scan, and doing that on an SSD makes a lot of sense. Do a read-only scan of an SSD, it'll show the SSD's controller that it's got a problem reading a sector, and then it'll map that out or rewrite it in order to strengthen that sector, if possible. So that ends up being a value for SpinRite on solid-state drives."[13] Also, Gibson posted on his website that "SpinRite is seeing many successes [...] with non-spinning solid-state (thumb) drives!".[14]

V.T. Eric Layton

Having benefited from MUCH via Steve Gibson's site back in my Widoze daze, I would tend to believe that data on his site is kept up-to-date and is still applicable.

Just my opinion, though...

3 hours ago, crp said:

Your loss.

Maybe you could explain what you are talking about. There are 2 people now who don't understand what you are saying is wrong in the Wikipedia article.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
Cluttermagnet

I have been tempted, off and on, to buy a copy of SpinRite over the years.

I've known about it for something like 2 decades now. Still tempted

today. What do you guys think- is SpinRite still a useful tool to have

around?

Clutter

7 hours ago, Cluttermagnet said:

I have been tempted, off and on, to buy a copy of SpinRite over the years.

I've known about it for something like 2 decades now. Still tempted

today. What do you guys think- is SpinRite still a useful tool to have

around?

Clutter

Depends on how many mech drives you have.

If you have a faulty drive with important data on it then $89 might be a worthwhile spend.

If you have a lot of drives and want to do regular maintenance on them then $89 might be a good spend.

How often should SpinRite be run for preventive maintenance?

transpixel.gif

This is mostly a matter of personal taste. For example, how often should you backup your data? However, a general rule of thumb would be that SpinRite should be run every two or three months. Running it more often provides greater safety at the expense of the time consumed. Running it less often provides more opportunity for new problems to go undetected until they become severe. Once every few months should be often enough to catch and detect any early trouble.

How does SpinRite compare to ScanDisk?

transpixel.gif

SpinRite and ScanDisk are entirely different types of products. ScanDisk replaces the original DOS CHKDSK command, which verified the logical file system structure of the hard drive (the newer CHKDSK command no longer performs that function). Microsoft created ScanDisk because people were switching off their computers without first exiting Windows. This resulted in corruption of the file system.
transpixel.gif
ScanDisk can also perform a read-only "scan" of a drive's surface to check for any unreadable sectors which it will then remove from use by the file system. However, ScanDisk does not perform data recovery, maintenance, or surface analysis of any kind. Unlike SpinRite, it does no data pattern testing, defect scrubbing, data relocation or unreadable sector repair and recovery. ScanDisk was never designed to perform those functions.
transpixel.gif
If your hard drives are acting up, the best thing to do is to run SpinRite first (a quick scan at level 2 is fine) to check for and repair any obvious read-trouble on the drive. Then, knowing that the "lower-levels" of the drive are okay, run ScanDisk to check and verify the "higher-levels" of the drive's file system. SpinRite is the best and only tool for long-term low-level data integrity maintenance, and ScanDisk is a useful free tool for checking the operating system's file system at a higher level.

https://www.grc.com/sr/faq.htm

If you have some spare loot buying a large ssd or several small cheap  ones and making backups might be a better route.

😎

This is a little over $89 but I bet you could get something even cheaper if you hunted around.

Samsung - 870 QVO 1TB SATA 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive Single Unit Version - $104.99Your price for this item is $104.99 Save $15 Was $119.99

• Like 1

Hello,

I would consider it a tool of last resort, only to be used when other data recovery software or backups are not an option and have failed, and a commercial data recovery service is not an option.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky
  • Like 1