Linux Cookbook

wa4chq

I'm looking at the edge of my copy of "Linux Cookbook".  I bought it from Barnes and Noble many years ago.  I wore that thang out judging by the "colors" along the edge of the pages.  Either the original color of the edge of the paper was brown or my crubby phalanges tarnished that tome.  I feel sad, yet I feel happy and free.  Forgive my rant..... Peace

• +1 1

Two of my favorites were Linux in Easy Steps and Beginning Ubuntu Linux. Both date from my early days trying to get a grip on Ubuntu.

Today I'd probably get the ebook, or try to find answers online or in the appropriate forum. Technology moves so fast that a lot of the info in printed format is obsolete - particularly if you have a problem. The books are still great if you are dealing with the basics like file structure, and CLI commands for general tasks like copy and move. But things like systemd have been game changers. Ubuntu 21.04 is a different beast than Ubuntu 8.10 - for sure.

securitybreach
1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

Wow you have books on linux. Real books :worthy:

BTW you can order those books used off of amazon as well ;)

I've had mine for years except for the Sed and Awk one and I bought that like 3 years ago.

10 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Sed and Awk

I'd get lost in the intro and I would struggle to understand Linux for Dummies 🤣

When I first saw the thread title I thought it was for a Eskimo 101 ways on how to cook penguins cookbook 🤣

Edited by abarbarian
  • Haha 1

On 9/14/2021 at 6:34 AM, raymac46 said:

Two of my favorites were Linux in Easy Steps and Beginning Ubuntu Linux. Both date from my early days trying to get a grip on Ubuntu.

Today I'd probably get the ebook, or try to find answers online or in the appropriate forum. Technology moves so fast that a lot of the info in printed format is obsolete - particularly if you have a problem. The books are still great if you are dealing with the basics like file structure, and CLI commands for general tasks like copy and move. But things like systemd have been game changers. Ubuntu 21.04 is a different beast than Ubuntu 8.10 - for sure.

I had the first edition of Linux Pocket Guide by Daniel J. Barrett (https://www.linuxpocketguide.com/). I used that and an old, used Unix textbook to learn some basic commands. I don't remeember what happened to those books. Later I picked up the second edition of Linux Pocket Guide, which I still have.

• Like 1

securitybreach
2 hours ago, saturnian said:

I had the first edition of Linux Pocket Guide by Daniel J. Barrett (https://www.linuxpocketguide.com/). I used that and an old, used Unix textbook to learn some basic commands. I don't remeember what happened to those books. Later I picked up the second edition of Linux Pocket Guide, which I still have.

Ha, I had that one as well. I do not know what happened to it though. I do not remember it being very useful by the time that I picked it up.

How about this one lol

0edK7Fj.jpg