Firefox Lost Almost 50 million Users

V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach

I am still perplexed by your browser default changing. I have had phones from a lot of different manufactures over the years and I have never heard of or witnessed this happen before.

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, it wasn't only that. My settings were being changed with each PUSH that the phone received. It would turn back on my camera, microphone, change my default messenger back to Google's, etc. It also added about 30 new apps each time it did this. Disabling Google Play Store stopped all of that.

securitybreach
2 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Oh, it wasn't only that. My settings were being changed with each PUSH that the phone received. It would turn back on my camera, microphone, change my default messenger back to Google's, etc. It also added about 30 new apps each time it did this. Disabling Google Play Store stopped all of that.

What kind of device are you using?

securitybreach

Also, disabling devices is literally part of the latest version of Android. Full permissions on any and all apps. It will prompt you to grant access for mic, location, camera, etc.

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
3 hours ago, securitybreach said:

None of that happens with T-Mobile

Heh! T-Mobile is my carrier. ;)

securitybreach
2 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Heh! T-Mobile is my carrier. ;)

What is the manufacturer? I have never heard of a phone being that invasive that wasn't an apple devices.

Bookmem, you said  "Not all Android phones come with Chrome installed" . If it doesn't have chrome, it is a subset of a true android version, like a Kindle.

Point out a true android phone that doesn't have chrome.

I'm buying my husband an Alcatel flip phone; it isn't a true smart phone. The OS is KaiOS, a subset of adroid so it won't have chrome. Is this perhaps what you mean?

Eric, clearly you made changes. I never saw a true android phone with only 3 icons at the bottom. Yours came with Pie, v 9 android so it had chrome. The screen pictured on the manual page shows 5 icons. If you do some hack to remove chrome (icon to the far right) which is a system app, then strange things might happen. I don't do anything to remove system apps. I disable when possible but I don't hack to remove them.

securitybreach
1 minute ago, zlim said:

Bookmem, you said  "Not all Android phones come with Chrome installed" . If it doesn't have chrome, it is a subset of a true android version, like a Kindle.

Point out a true android phone that doesn't have chrome.

I'm buying my husband an Alcatel flip phone; it isn't a true smart phone. The OS is KaiOS, a subset of adroid so it won't have chrome. Is this perhaps what you mean?

Eric, clearly you made changes. I never saw a true android phone with only 3 icons at the bottom. Yours came with Pie, v 9 android so it had chrome. The screen pictured on the manual page shows 5 icons. If you do some hack to remove chrome (icon to the far right) which is a system app, then strange things might happen. I don't do anything to remove system apps. I disable when possible but I don't hack to remove them.

He probably just used one of the 100+ launchers available for Android. I used Nova launcher for years now.

V.T. Eric Layton
55 minutes ago, zlim said:

I didn't remove Chrome. I just disabled it. There are two other screens to the left and right of that one pictured. In the left one, I have System Settings icon, and Nova Launcher that I use to customize/manipulate the screens. On the right side, is FF, Camera, Sound Recorder, and Calculator. The app I use to manipulate the desktop... er, phone top is pretty neato -> https://novalauncher.com/.

By the way, you can add/remove any icons on the screens of any Android phone, as far as I know. I removed the as-shipped carp and added the Contacts, Phone, Messenger myself before I ever stared using Nova Launcher. I also created a custom Lock Screen that has my full name, address, and home phone number... just in case some good Samaritan would like to return my lost phone to me. :)

---

15 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Never heard of that device manufacturer before

This is the company that makes them, evidently --> https://us.wikomobile.com/w-introduction-wiko

• +1 1

securitybreach

Yeah, I had looked them up and seen that they are a French company. I had just never heard of them before.

securitybreach

It's probably their version of android that is causing you the woes, reinstalling/re-enabling the apps and such.

V.T. Eric Layton

Meh... don't care. I disabled Google Play Store and it STOPS. That's all I know. I've been happy with the phone for months now... no changes of permissions, no PUSHED BS apps from Google. All's well. :)