Reply problems

Digerati

For the last couple weeks, I have been having significant problems trying to reply in threads. Sadly, it is intermittent and I cannot duplicate it upon demand, so I know it will be a challenge to troubleshoot and fix. 

It just happened again this morning when trying to reply to that Chromebook and USB C hub thread. No matter how I try, when I click on quote, or if I highlight something someone said and click reply, or if I just click the "Reply to this topic" button at the top of the page, or in the Reply box at the bottom, the full reply text box opens for a second, then immediately closes. 

I hit refresh, log out and back in, close page then open again - nothing works, then suddenly it does. 

I typically use Edge but I just tried Pale Moon and it does the same thing there. It happens only on this site. No problems elsewhere. 

Anyone else have these issues?

Edited by Digerati

43 minutes ago, Digerati said:

For the last couple weeks, I have been having significant problems trying to reply in threads. Sadly, it is intermittent and I cannot duplicate it upon demand, so I know it will be a challenge to troubleshoot and fix. 

It just happened again this morning when trying to reply to that Chromebook and USB C hub thread. No matter how I try, when I click on quote, or if I highlight something someone said and click reply, or if I just click the "Reply to this topic" button at the top of the page, or in the Reply box at the bottom, the full reply text box opens for a second, then immediately closes. 

I hit refresh, log out and back in, close page then open again - nothing works, then suddenly it does. 

I typically use Edge but I just tried Pale Moon and it does the same thing there. It happens only on this site. No problems elsewhere. 

Anyone else have these issues?

I am replying to you from Linux using Google Chrome. Before quoting you I used the red button. No issues so far. The reply box stays open.

Similar to what you are experiencing, since I don't use quote, Paste never works properly for me here. It has been that way for years. I hit ctrl+V and nothing seems to happen. (If I click the paste icon, I'm told it doesn't work so I have to use ctrl+V).  I do it again and again nothing seems to happen.

Perhaps when you click the quote icon, it doesn't seem to appear in your post but would show up once you hit submit reply.

I never realized that you have to click an icon to preview something; I'm so used to seeing preview in words down near submit reply. (Hopefully, I will remember this!)

Anyway, I hit submit reply and I discover I have 2, 3 or more images of what I tried to paste and never appeared. Then I have to edit my post.

Well, I just tried to reply to this thread by clicking in the "Reply to this topic" box at the bottom of the page and I couldn't. Again, the box fully opens then immediately closes. This time, I logged out of the site and signed back in and reply worked. But that does not always work either. 

V.T. Eric Layton
54 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Perhaps it's an extension or something but not being able to paste is extremely odd.

Yes, seriously odd. I can highlight, copy, paste, quote, post, etc. all over this board with no issues at all using FF, Chromium, Seamonkey, and even TOR browser. I run an adblocker and have my browsers VERY locked down re: cookies, scripts, etc.

I don't have any idea what's going on with you folks' issues here. There is a software upgrade pending on the board. Once Scot takes care of that, maybe it will fix the problem???

• Agree 1

securitybreach
1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I don't have any idea what's going on with you folks' issues here. There is a software upgrade pending on the board. Once Scot takes care of that, maybe it will fix the problem???

Surely, that isn't it but perhaps 😕

V.T. Eric Layton

I don't know... just guessing. I did scan the changes/fixes of the 5 releases since our current one. There are A LOT of fixes.

• Agree 1

Well, I just tried to reply to this thread by clicking in the "Reply to this topic" box at the bottom of the page and I couldn't. Again, the box fully opens then immediately closes. This time, I logged out of the site and signed back in and reply worked. But that does not always work either. 

I copied Digerati's post above and pasted it into the quote box. This is how it turned out. No problem with Google Chrome on Windows 10.

V.T. Eric Layton

I copied Digerati's post above and pasted it into the quote box. This is how it turned out. No problem with Google Chrome on Windows 10.

I copied/pasted/quoted yours and his without any issue.

This, of course, doesn't prove feces because they're (Zlim and Digerati) are still having their issues. Wish I could figure it out, but I'm beginning to think it's on their end of things... a setting in their browser, a lack of something in their OSes, a corrupted cookie, browser profile, etc.??? I just don't know.

• +1 1

I have no problem clicking reply to topic and having a box to type in.  (Win 7 FF ESR)

Well, I just tried to reply to this thread by clicking in the "Reply to this topic" box at the bottom of the page and I couldn't.

The ctrl +V works when I click on quote.

It doesn't work when I try and paste an image from off site. It does actually paste with ctrl+V but it never shows in the post as I type it.

My problem is different than Digerati's but I've learned how to work around it.

Edited by zlim

V.T. Eric Layton

I still think this is a browser issue for both of you. It could be something very simple... an extension, a theme, a choice of fonts, etc. Just the other day, I couldn't get the Quick Reply box to open here. I found that it was caused by my having edited my useragent string in Firefox. Removing one comma from that string fixed it.

10 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I still think this is a browser issue

How can it be a browser issue? As I noted above, it does this with Edge and Pale Moon. Those are totally different browsers with Edge based on Chromium and PM being a forked version of FireFox. They use different rendering engines too. It only happens on this site. I visit many sites every day and it only happens here. And clearly, not every time - though it took about 10 tries to make it this time. 

It is NOT a quote issue so I wish/hope this thread does not get sidetracked over quotes. It also is not an extension issue either. While I use adblockers on both, I use AdGuard with Edge and AdBlockPlus with PM. And I have tried it with them disabled too. 

V.T. Eric Layton

I say it's browser issue because it's happening to YOU and no one else here, regardless of the browser being used (slight exception for Zlim's issue, but it's different than yours).

Normally, to eliminate a particular browser from being the issue, you would try a different browser. Since you've done that, I don't know what else to say here to assist you. If EVERYONE on this board was experiencing the same issues with numerous different browsers, then I'd say the problem was on Scot's end of things; that's not the case, though.

Also, doing numerous online searches regarding these issues and Invision Power Board as variables, I couldn't find any relevant data to compare to your troubles.

Do you have a VPN? Are you using a firewall? Do you have anti-virus/scripting apps installed on your system? The odds are here that the issue is on your end of things, Bill. Do you have another computer/laptop available to login here and see if it also has these issues?

I'd be aggravated as H3LL if this were happening to me. I'm sorry I can't resolve it for you.

I am doing nothing fancy in terms of VPNs, firewalls or other security. I am pretty much at fully default W10 Pro settings, using Microsoft Defender and Windows Firewall (at their default settings). I have other computers I will try when I get a chance and let you know. 

7 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I say it's browser issue because it's happening to YOU and no one else here

Just because no one else has reported it, that in no way means it only affects me. I mean if you look at the All Things Windows forum, or any other forum on this site for that matter, the site has not exactly been inundated with recent visitors replying to threads. 

And again, two totally different browsers so while I won't yet rule out my machine, I don't see how it could be the browsers. 

V.T. Eric Layton

Yes, but what I'm saying is that of the people who do post here regularly... me, Sunrat, Josh, Corrine, etc., none of us are experiencing any problems.

You say above that this only started happening just a couple weeks ago. NO  CHANGES have been made to this board during that time. Did you get Windows updates in that time period? Or browser updates? Or Firewall/Antivirus updates? Something very simple like these updates could have changed something and started causing this issue. Have you dumped all your browser cache/cookies and tried? One corrupted cookie could cause this, too.

Is this your ONLY computer to test with?

I'm not sure when it started, but I noticed it a couple weeks. 

I just tried it with my notebook and no problems. So I came back here to reply to you, and again no problems. So as noted above, it is intermittent - thus much more difficult to troubleshoot. 

And yes, I've cleared cookies and temp files several times. 

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
4 minutes ago, Digerati said:

intermittent - thus much more difficult to troubleshoot. 

YES! Intermittent problems are a major pain in the posterior areas to resolve. :(

• 5 months later...

For the record, this is still problem for me. And now it is consistently happening, but, oddly, not in every forum here. It definitely does it the Security & Networking Forum and Hardware forums - which is irritating I spend most of my time there. 

To recap - when I get an email notification of a new thread, or of a reply in a thread I am following and click the link to go to that thread,  when I click in the reply box to reply, it opens, then within a second or two, it closes. I cannot type my reply. This now happens every time in those forums. I did find a work around. I can go to that forums index page then go to the applicable thread that way. Then when I click in the reply box, it opens and stays open. 

Here's another oddity that may, or may not be related. When I click on the "Got to this Post" in the notification thread, it always takes me to the thread's opening post. Never to the last reply. 

Now that I have discovered that workaround, it has become a minor, annoyance so this may best be left for the new admins to deal with and I'm okay with that. 

• Like 1

@Digerati - next time this happens, can you try and pull up the javascript console from your browsers Developer tools ?

If you're able to get the javascript console open and then try clicking reply / taking actions that cause issues, it might help us narrow down the issue. There's also a pending software update, so it's possibly it's a bug that was previously fixed, but hasn't been updated on SNL yet.