Chromebook and USB C hub

zlim

I want to get a USB C hub for my chromebook. In the past, I've always purchased hubs that are powered. My old hubs are powered USB type A. If I understand correctly, my two USB C ports, which are also charging ports and support Display Port over USB C will supply enough power that I do not need a powered USB C hub. Can anyone confirm or deny before I start looking.

securitybreach

It also depends on the amount of ports.  For instance, a 4 port hub might not require power but a 10 port would. You would want to use the powered USB-C port though.

a 4 port hub might not require power

This is specifically what I'm asking about.

It is as clear as mud. How do I determine if a 4 port USB C hub requires external power? What should I be looking at?

The chromebook has two USB C ports and two USB A ports. One of the A ports has a mouse dongle so I'm looking to get access to more A-type ports for all my USB sticks, external DVD burner (Y-connector requires two A- type ports), USB sd card reader and micro sd card reader and portable external hard drives. I don't want to have to remove the mouse every time I want to use more than one USB A port.

securitybreach
Just now, zlim said:

This is specifically what I'm asking about.

It is as clear as mud. How do I determine if a 4 port USB C hub requires external power? What should I be looking at?

Well it would specifically say if it needs power or not and it would come with the power attachment.

• Like 1

securitybreach

I just meant that most all 4 port hubs do not need power as they do not require as much electricity as a 10 port hub would. I was on mobile when I first replied.

22 hours ago, zlim said:

I want to get a USB C hub for my chromebook. In the past, I've always purchased hubs that are powered. My old hubs are powered USB type A. If I understand correctly, my two USB C ports, which are also charging ports and support Display Port over USB C will supply enough power that I do not need a powered USB C hub. Can anyone confirm or deny before I start looking.

Would this article be helpful.

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-usb-c-hubs-and-docks/     😎

It is NOT about the number of ports. What really matters is what you intend to plug into the hub's ports and the amount of power those connected devices will demand through those ports. If the ports are going to just pass data only, you can have dozens of devices through many ports. But if the hub will need to supply power to the connected devices too, then the number of connected devices will significantly be limited - regardless the number of available ports.

So if you want to maximum the number of devices you can connect via this hub, make sure the connected devices have their own power source. 

And frankly, because you don't really know today what you might want to connect next year, I would make sure the hub has its own power supply. 

abarbarian, thanks but those are overkill. I don't need an sd slot, DP connector, more USB C ports. All I really need is 4 USB A type ports.

securitybreech, that looks like what I need but anytime Thunderbolt is mentioned, I worry that it isn't for my device.

Digerati, about the most power I would need is for the DVD burner which uses 2 USB A ports on our current laptops. (Y-connector)

All the other items plug into a single USB A port. So, I'll look to see how much power my burner uses and two USB sticks. That would be the maximum I would need. I also don't think I'd be burning a DVD while writing to two USB sticks at the same time.

The chromebook was bought as a portable device and with a battery lasting 10 hours, I don't normally keep it plugged in.  So I'd prefer a hub that doesn't need power so it is portable. I guess I could buy one with power and not use the power connector unless needed.

First I tried to buy a USB C male to USB A female adapter, which would give me a 2nd USB A port. I got a lot of no longer available. So I decided buying a hub would be easier.

securitybreach
1 hour ago, zlim said:

securitybreech, that looks like what I need but anytime Thunderbolt is mentioned, I worry that it isn't for my device.

Well it does specifically mention chromebooks on the description.

Hello,

If you visit the manufacturer's page for your Chromebook, does it mention whether or not the device's USB-C ports support Power Delivery?  Alternatively, if the Chromebook charges via its USB-C ports, what does the charger for it say it outputs (i.e, volts and amps)?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1
  • +1 1

18 hours ago, zlim said:

Digerati, about the most power I would need is for the DVD burner which uses 2 USB A ports on our current laptops. (Y-connector)

And the DVD does not have its own power supply? 

If not, perhaps a USB to wall adapter for those devices might be best. I always keep a couple of these in my notebook travel bag and in my trouble-call tool bag too. Plus, it always seems, for some reason, that one ends up missing after a visit from one of my kids or grandkids. 🙄

Digerati, no, the portable DVD burner uses a Y-USB connection to get power from two USB ports. There is no place on the DVD drive to plug in an outside power supply so it would be impossible to plug it into a wall outlet.

It is similar to this

https://www.newegg.com/lite-on-model-enau708-112-slim-dvd-burner/p/N82E16827106379

only 1 port on the back for the Y USB cable.

goretsky here is the manual wording one on each side, exactly the same

AV9clGO.jpg

It also says this later in the manual

Delivers up to 3 A at 5 V DC for USB charging.

The charger give lots of output numbers.

5 V  3A 15 Watts

9 V 3A

12 V 3A

15 V 3A

20 V 2.25A 45 Watts

Am I correct in assuming from all the numbers that the USB C ports are able to deliver power to devices that need 5, 9 12, 15 and 20 volts to operate?

Edited by zlim
pasted twice

Thanks but I'm sure I can find something in the US. I also don't do eBay. I stick to Amazon, NewEgg, Walmart, Target, Staples, etc.

If the following is too political, feel free to remove it. Criminals in the US have been walking into stores with huge bags and walking out with whatever they want. No charges are filed. I have a suspicion that most of the stolen items end up being sold on eBay.

Edited by zlim
  • Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
1 hour ago, zlim said:

Criminals in the US have been walking into stores with huge bags and walking out with whatever they want. No charges are filed. I have a suspicion that most of the stolen items end up being sold on eBay.

Not political.

Anyway, 99% of those snatch and grab gangs doing these running shoplifting rampages are NOT selling on eBay. According to an NBC Evening news story last week, they are being sold to shady thrift stores and other neighborhood places. eBay has a relatively strict policy controlling sellers on their site. I know. I am one. All you have to remember to purchase safely at eBay is that sellers with numerous 99% approval ratings are almost always legit. Also, eBay guarantees EVERY purchase you make. You won't get scammed out of your money.

I've used eBay for 15+ years or so to buy and sell with nary an issue.

• Agree 2

securitybreach
3 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Not political.

Anyway, 99% of those snatch and grab gangs doing these running shoplifting rampages are NOT selling on eBay. According to an NBC Evening news story last week, they are being sold to shady thrift stores and other neighborhood places. eBay has a relatively strict policy controlling sellers on their site. I know. I am one. All you have to remember to purchase safely at eBay is that sellers with numerous 99% approval ratings are almost always legit. Also, eBay guarantees EVERY purchase you make. You won't get scammed out of your money.

I've used eBay for 15+ years or so to buy and sell with nary an issue.

Agreed and like you said, all of it comes from china anyway.

• 4 months later...

Hello,

That's a regular 45 Watt USB-PD (USB Power Delivery) schema, so you could leave the AC power adapter plugged into the first USB Type-C port, and connect the USB Type-C hub to the second USB Type-C port on the Chromebook.  Here are some hubs which do not support USB-PD power delivery:

Or, you could get a USB Type-C hub that supports USB-PD and provides pass-through power.  The AC power adapter would be plugged into the USB Type-C hub, and then the plug the hub into the Chromebook.  Here are some hubs which do support USB-PD  power delivery:

I've used other hardware from all of the vendors previously and they all worked fine.  Of the ones I looked at, the second Uni one looks like it would match your requirements and keep one of the Chromebook's USB Type C ports free for other devices.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I decided I didn't need a hub. I have a powered USB type A hub. (In fact, we have two or three of them).  I kept my mouse in the one type A port, plugged my hub into the other type A port and was able to plug in my DVD burner with the Y-connector. I actually did this to test for someone if a purchased DVD would play. It doesn't so I told the person not to waste time buying an external DVD drive.

I found this:

Chromebooks can connect to the following accessories:

External storage (SD and USB hard drives, thumb drives, USB CD-ROM, and read-only DVD-ROM)

Source: https://support.google.com/chromebook/answer/183093?hl=en#zippy=%2Ccompatible-accessories-for-chromebook

Truthfully, I rip DVDs into mp4 files and put them on a micro sd card. It is much easier than attaching a DVD drive and carrying around assorted DVDs.

My two USB C ports on the chromebook are charging as well as Display ports. I don't currently own any devices that use USB C on both ends.

• Like 1

securitybreach

Well a usb-c dock is kind of universal. I once plugged my Android phone into one of our USB-C docks at work and my phone came up just fine on a 27" monitor.