Firefox - Pipe ERROR - Parent 13296

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

I posted this over at Jeremy's LQ.org a few minutes ago, but figured I'd post it here, too. Maybe Bruno's well knock me on the head and advise. If no inspiration comes from an alternate Universe, then maybe one of you has an idea or two. I-net Search was not much help with this one.

___

Hey folks,

I've noticed with this fresh install (a week or so old) of Slack64 14.2 that I'm getting a page worth of the same error notice on the shutdown screen.

It looks like this:

Code:
Pipe ERROR - Parent 13296 /tmp/firefox-68.12.0/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc line 568

Is this just a normal error due to system shutdown or what? I've never seen it before in Slackware.

Everything is working fine, so I'm thinking this isn't a major event. Also, there's nothing even close to this in my /tmp directory.

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, since the bug is still open, no one has found a cause/solution, evidently. It shows that it affects v66.x and v.70. I'm running v68.x, so it's probably affected also.

It probably happens every time I close FF, but I don't see the warning because I'm in the GUI. I see it when I shut down my machine (even though, FF has already been terminated via GUI) because the shutdown date scrolls when I telinit 0 to shut the system down.

That gives me an idea, though... I think I'll start FF in Terminal and then shut down and see if it displays the errors. Back in a minute or so...

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Yup... I LOVE COMMAND LINE! It's a great troubleshooting tool!

vtel57@ericsbane07~:$ firefox
[Parent 4187, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (42): Connection reset by peer: file /tmp/firefox-68.12.0/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 358
[Parent 4187, Gecko_IOThread] WARNING: pipe error (99): Connection reset by peer: file /tmp/firefox-68.12.0/ipc/chromium/src/chrome/common/ipc_channel_posix.cc, line 358

• Agree 1

securitybreach

Ok, after reading through various links trying to make sense of it,  it looks like Firefox IPDL is built on top of chromium's IPC. Basically this allows Inter-process Communication between browser processes.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I can easily resolve this issue, and a couple other ones, by installing the newest FF on my Slackware. Since this is a new installation of Slackware, I was trying to keep it as vanilla as I could without losing any of my necessary functionality. I liked v89.x when I was running it for a while before my last Slack Goes Boom episode.

Meh... I have my backups. I can always install the newest FF and if I don't like it, I can revert.

V.T. Eric Layton

Yeah... I should. I'm not planning upgrading to Slack 15 when it comes out... at least not for a while, so it probably would be a good idea to have the newest FF on my 14.2.

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

OK... running FF 90.0.2 now. There does not seem to be any shutdown errors anymore.

New useragent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Slackware x86_64; rv:90.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/90.0

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

HAHAHA! Seems I just can't win with Firefox these days. When shutting down last night, I got these errors from Firefox...

(firefox:1596): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_style_context_get_property: assertion 'GTK_IS_STYLE_CONTEXT (context)' failed

(firefox:1596): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_value_unset: assertion 'G_IS_VALUE (value)' failed

(firefox:1596): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_style_context_get_property: assertion 'GTK_IS_STYLE_CONTEXT (context)' failed

I'm pretty sure they're just theme-related baloney, so I'm going to ignore. All is working fine.

:)

V.T. Eric Layton

Interesting... I now have a completely new problem with Firefox that just started a few moments ago. 

When I click on the "Reply to this topic" box at the bottom of someone's thread, I get a "loading" notice that just stops and never loads the reply area so I can post something.

eQIkiCf.png

I've made no changed to FF since yesterday. I was able to reply here a couple times earlier, but not now. Works in other browsers. I'm writing this from Chromium.

I did notice a notification pop up a while ago in FF that said my DNS requests were now being secured by FF for my safety/privacy; some new FF feature, I guess. I wonder if this is what's causing it. I'll have to go look in Settings now... brb.

I turned off their DNS over https Cloudfare. I'm already using OpenDNS, so don't need the FF carp. That said, it didn't fix the issue above. :(

securitybreach
1 minute ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Hmm... even in Safe Mode, FF is still having the issue in the post above. :(

Must be an extension of something then.

• Confused 1

V.T. Eric Layton

I think you misread the above...

EVEN IN SAFE MODE, FF is still experiencing the problem. In Safe Mode in FF all themes, extensions, and addons are disabled, so since this is still happening in FF in Safe Mode, it cannot be a theme, extension, or addon issue.

It's some ****** rendering issue, I'm thinking. It started up all by itself, maybe it'll fix itself, too. ;)

*posted from Chromium

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... fixed it.

You'll never believe what it was...

... an error in my general.useragent.override string.

Funny that it didn't affect any other sites I visit, huh? *shrugging*

securitybreach
On 7/25/2021 at 5:02 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Hmm... fixed it.

You'll never believe what it was...

... an error in my general.useragent.override string.

Funny that it didn't affect any other sites I visit, huh? *shrugging*

Nice find :thumbsup:

• Agree 1