Fixing the Webcam

raymac46

My son-in-law came out yesterday and brought the grandkids for a brief visit. He also brought the family laptop (ASUS Vivobook i5) and asked me if I could get the webcam to work. The kids were having trouble with Google Meet. Sure enough, no picture.

I checked the cam with a couple of online tests and it failed. So I checked Device Manager. It said the camera was working normally.

I removed the camera from Device Manager and rebooted. No joy. Camera still failed although it reinstalled OK.

I was about to tell my SIL to contact ASUS tech support, when I noticed that there was a button on the keyboard to switch the camera on. I pressed the button. Problem solved. :oops:

Interesting. I'll have to store that info away when someone complains that the camera is not working. None of our laptops (2 Windows and a chromebook) have a key to turn on the camera. I used to keep the cameras disabled but with all the online meetings these past 17 months, I found it easier to keep enabled and just bought sliding covers to fit over the lens.

• Like 1

I also have an ASUS Vivobook but it is an AMD Ryzen 5 model and it does not have a camera button. I guess only the Intel-based Vivobooks have it.