Smoothwall and other assorted goodies

wa4chq

Unpacking some of the stuff I had in storage yesterday, I came across a small bin with 6 hard drives in it.  One was marked, the others weren't.  The one I had marked was Slackware 9.1 with "save" underscored...lol.  Anyway, I had to see what was on the other drives.  One booted to a Windows error, one booted to Smoothwall and the rest didn't really do too much.  I booted 9.1 and that was righteous.  I was using Fluxbox at the time and had xsnow doing it's thing after startx.  It brought back memories but the Smoothwall didn't jog any.  All I remember was wanting to build a firewall but having no idea what it did...lol.  But hey,  I am prepared if I ever do!

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Slack 9.1... HAHAHA! That was the version just before my very first "official" (primary operating system) Slackware installation. I installed 10.2 on 11 September 2006. Read more about that on this old and entertaining thread.

http://www.slackware.com/announce/10.2.php

https://distrowatch.com/?newsid=02900

Ah... the memories. ;)

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Read that thread I linked to above, Josh. It'll bring back some fun memories of many folks who used to be regulars here. Sadly, some are gone, not just from this forum, but from this plane of existence... Bruno, Frank Golden, Fran, etc. :(

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

HAHAHA! The ol' dancing of the Irish jig on my computer event. That was a baaaaa-aaaad night. I remember it too well. ;)

aYFUb8m.png

All the intermittent problems I was having with that systems was caused by a faulty (new-out-of-the-box) Seagate drive. After finding this out and discussing it with a Seagate engineer, he actually authorized a refund and sent me a prepaid shipping package to return the drive to him personally. He wanted to dissect it and find out what the problem was. This was my 1st and LAST Seagate drive that I purchased.

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Oh, and so sorry for trashing your thread here @wa4chq... you just got me reminiscing. It's one of those old people bad habits. ;)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Oh, and so sorry for trashing your thread here @wa4chq... you just got me reminiscing. It's one of those old people bad habits. ;)

Hey, you ain't trashing my thread...it's fun reading all the stuff....  I need to plug that drive in again and check some of the dates on the mail.....maybe even take a picture of the desktop. 

• Haha 1
  • +1 1

startx.jpg

OK....just finished looking at the Slackware 9.1 (SAVE) hard drive and going over the email, dates show 2005...06....up to around 2010?  My beer recipes show Dec 04 to 08.....  I'll have to look up Slackfire cuz I apparently had that install during boot...9.1_boot.jpgfluxbox.jpgbrew_list.jpg

Looks like I brewed a lot, but there were several duplicate dates for some reason.  Qbrew must still be on the HD...one day, I'll have to look.

Edited by wa4chq
  • Agree 1
  • +1 1

Eric, looks like we started Slacking around the same time.  But I can't find anything about Slackfire when I Google?  hmmm

I don't go out of my way to buy Seagate but I have one in my old Acer desktop and it's still going after 9 years. I have a 2TB Seagate HDD in my new Dell desktop. I have never tried any Seagate SSDs.

V.T. Eric Layton

Heh! I actually have two Seagates on this main system. I didn't buy them, though. They were dug up late at night from the computer graveyard, which is where most of the hardware for this Frankenputer came from. I have MS Win 10 on one and the other is the Clonezilla backup mirror of the Win 10. ;)

My important drives (Slackware and its mirror) are on a WD and Maxtor drives.

• Like 1

Hedon James
15 hours ago, raymac46 said:

I don't go out of my way to buy Seagate but I have one in my old Acer desktop and it's still going after 9 years. I have a 2TB Seagate HDD in my new Dell desktop. I have never tried any Seagate SSDs.

At one point in time, I was fine with WD or Seagate.  But then I had an external Seagate fail from an (assumed) power surge and couldn't recover the data....it was backup data, so only a minor catastrophe.  Couple of months later, another external Seagate HDD crapped out on me WHILE I WAS USING IT!  Again backup drive, so no huge catastrophe, but that was 2 Seagate failures within a 3-4 month window, so my confidence in Seagate took a huge hit.  Replaced the 2nd Seagate backup drive with a WD external that I found in my basement.  During the setup/connection process, I accidentally knocked it over and dropped to the floor, with the plastic black "book" encasing breaking off, exposing the hard drive.  I thought "dayummm.....today is NOT my day", but that drive still worked just fine when I plugged it in.  I crazy glued the enclosure back on, and everything was fine....still have it here in a box somewhere.

From that day forward, I became a WD man.  Only WD HDD in my machines!  I've had Samsung, Crucial, Kingston, and Patriot SSDs in my builds.....with no issues ever from any of them (knock on wood).  Maybe it doesn't matter with SSDs, because there's no moving mechanical parts to fail?  But when it comes to standard HDDs....WD all the way, baby!  😎

• Agree 2

Well like I said I don't go out of my way to buy Seagate. In fact there are only two places I use HDDs now - I have them in my DIY Linux desktop (Toshiba) and my newest prebuilt Dell XPS (Seagate.) The Dell desktop also has a USB backup drive (Samsung - I think Seagate owns them now.) The desktops also have an SSD for the O/S and most programs.

For SSDs I've had Toshiba, Samsung, SanDisk, WD, ADATA, and all of them have been OK. They keep changing names (I think Toshiba is now Kioxia) but they all have worked well. I never store massive amounts of data in a laptop so where I can  take out the HDD and replace it with an SSD.

abarbarian
19 hours ago, wa4chq said:

fluxbox.jpg

Hmmmmmm they look suspiciously like Window Maker Dock Apps, unless me eyes are playing up.😎

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Hardware and software choices are a lot like restaurants or other bad experiences. I once got ptomaine from a ham/cheese sub at Subway. I didn't eat again there for nearly 30 years... and when I did it was something cooked (meatball sub). I'm the same way about hardware/software. If I have a bad experience with something, I tend to avoid it in the future.

3 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Hmmmmmm they look suspiciously like Window Maker Dock Apps, unless me eyes are playing up.😎

You may be right.  I know I used to also mess with GKrellm but I'd have to check to see. 

Edited by wa4chq

Abarbarian, you are correct.   GKrellm did vertical stack.  What I had going was horizontal and on the bottom.  Look at this page, about half way down.  https://www.korseby.net/computer/themes/index.html  Window manager was Fluxbox.  BTW, what a pain it is not having a mouse for the old pc.  I could not access the top menu for MC and don't remember keystokes to get me there.  Looked at the man page for it but it was too much to read...lol. 

• Thanks 1
  • +1 1

On 7/8/2021 at 9:08 PM, wa4chq said:

Abarbarian, you are correct.   GKrellm did vertical stack.  What I had going was horizontal and on the bottom.  Look at this page, about half way down.  https://www.korseby.net/computer/themes/index.html  Window manager was Fluxbox.  BTW, what a pain it is not having a mouse for the old pc.  I could not access the top menu for MC and don't remember keystokes to get me there.  Looked at the man page for it but it was too much to read...lol. 

Super neat link 😋