Two monitors by mistake

wa4chq

Good morning all.  I may have mentioned in another post about the Dell PC my older bro gave me.  They were updating at work and he brought the whole 9 yards to me, tower, speakers, mouse, keyboard and a nice 22" Lenovo monitor.  Well the other day I decided to plug the monitor into my laptop.  I thought it would mirror what was on the laptop screen.  But it doesn't.  The laptop shows my terminal and the Lenovo monitor shows everything else...browser, gimp, etc.  Getting control of the mouse has been hit or miss but shaking it violently and cursing under my breath tends to work most times.  I'm using I3 window manager that boots up with rxvt in the first window and my browser in the second so I wonder it that is why the monitors are split like that?  And to find out, I'm gonna reboot into Slack that is not using I3 and see what happens.  Have a great weekend.

split_screen.jpg

OK.  Figured it out.  I rebooted into Slackware using KDE.  The laptop displayed everything while the Lenovo monitor just showed a nice blue KDE background.  But if I pressed ctrl and dragged ie: GIMP to the right, it would appear on the big monitor!  So I learned two things, the other being how to control the mouse.....  So I rebooted back to MX-19 using I3 and discovered if I toggle the terminal to float instead of being full-screen, I can press ctrl and drag it over to the large monitor!  Righteous brothers!!

• Like 1

securitybreach

Or you can do like I do and set each monitor as a workspace. It sounds like i3 already configured it that way so just hit your mod+shift+2 to move the window to the second monitor, etc

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, securitybreach said:

Or you can do like I do and set each monitor as a workspace. It sounds like i3 already configured it that way so just hit your mod+shift+2 to move the window to the second monitor, etc

Hey SB....that certainly does it!  Thanks for the info! 

• Like 1

securitybreach

No worries, works the same no matter how many minutes. You can also use the mod+shift+h/j/k/l to move windows using vim movement keys. Personally I have used vim for many years but still prefer the numbers as it mines it to the display and not from one to the other.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Very interesting. One of these days, I might hook another monitor (I still have my very nice HP out in the shop) to this system just to appear more "techie" when non-techie friends come over to visit. I'll need some tips from you guys if I ever decide to do this. ;)

securitybreach

You know I can advise you on that. I've had 5 monitors for years now. And before that it was 3

I can also toggle the cursor between the big screen and the term on the lappy by using mod+1 or mod+2....darn, more things to remember!  lol

• +1 1

8 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

You know I can advise you on that. I've had 5 monitors for years now. And before that it was 3

Geeze!  Why not one huge screen and I3?  lol

securitybreach
24 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

Geeze!  Why not one huge screen and I3?  lol

Because I have them set as separate workspaces.

• Agree 1

OK, I think I know why after booting i3, I have a term on the laptop and browser on the big screen.....it's because I have I3 configured to open a term in window #1 and my browser opens in #2.  So now with two monitors, window #2 is the second monitor...duh....  So I reckon if I had a third monitor and i3 was configured to have Gimp open in window #3, it would open up on the third monitor....

SB, am I on the right track?  Now I know how Columbus must of felt...I feel like I've just discovered a new continent!

Hedon James
16 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Very interesting. One of these days, I might hook another monitor (I still have my very nice HP out in the shop) to this system just to appear more "techie" when non-techie friends come over to visit. I'll need some tips from you guys if I ever decide to do this. ;)

My advice would be to tell 'em you run Slackware.  That will probably also impress your "techie" friends, unless they're Arch or Gentoo users.  LOL!  😎

• Agree 1

securitybreach

👿

Basically right but I do not have things opening automatically. That and they're workspaces, not windows. It's like how kde, gnome and others come with 4 workspaces. Heck, windows has them now. I just set each monitor to be a different workspace, so instead of them being virtual workspaces, they are literally them

securitybreach
18 minutes ago, Hedon James said:

My advice would be to tell 'em you run Slackware.  That will probably also impress your "techie" friends, unless they're Arch or Gentoo users.  LOL!  😎

No not necessarily, I was using Slackware before Arch.

OK...  In workspace 1, I can have several windows open...ie 3 terms each running something different, on workspace 2 I will have my browser but I can open another window in that workspace....OK, I'm seeing it...tnx for the correction!

Edited by wa4chq
  • +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
5 hours ago, Hedon James said:

That will probably also impress your "techie" friends

Heh... the only "techie" friend I have in my area is @amenditman.

All my other friends are MS Windows users. When I tell them I run Slackware GNU/Linux on my computers, they give me a really dumb look and say something like, "Is that a Windows app?" ;)

I converted my brother and my aunt to Ubuntu years ago, but the extent of their computer knowledge is how to check their emails and play a few games. ;)

• Like 2

securitybreach
6 hours ago, wa4chq said:

OK...  In workspace 1, I can have several windows open...ie 3 terms each running something different, on workspace 2 I will have my browser but I can open another window in that workspace....OK, I'm seeing it...tnx for the correction!

Glad to help, it's very useful. I couldn't imagine going back to one monitor.