This Slacker Running Current Now

V.T. Eric Layton

V.T. Eric Layton

Folks are LQ are suggesting that my really old (2014) version of Porteus may be this issue here. I agree with them:

Thanks for the replies and info. You're thoughts are backing up my own regarding this issue. I'll probably use the LILO method to remove the loader from the MBR. I'm not a fan of dd. I've used it before, but with much nervousness each time I tap that "Enter" button on the keyboard. wink.gif

I also agree with both of you regarding the older Porteus. I believe I'll go d-load the newest version right now and see how that one behaves.

I've just d-loaded the newest version of Porteus (64 bit). The old version I was using was actually 32 bit. I used it because I still had 32 bit machines back then. I'll burn the ISO tomorrow and see if that resolves the issues. I'll also remove the LILO from the MBR and see if that will resolve the above "checksum error". If not, then I'll just chroot in and reload the LILO to the MBR and leave it that way.

Going over to niece's house with g-friend tonight to partake of some libations and a few laughs. Y'all have a great weekend!

~Eric

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
5 hours ago, wa4chq said:

Good Libations.....didn't the Beach Boys write that?

I don't know about writing it, but a few of them definite partook. ;)

V.T. Eric Layton

Well, the newer Porteus now mounts all the drives properly.

I remove LILO from the /dev/sda MBR, and reinstalled on the /sda1 partition. That didn't work.... checksum error still. I removed LILO from the partition and put it back on the MBR.... all boots fine now.

When I try to fsck the partitions on the sda or sdb drive, they all come up clean and happy.

Still don't know why I can't put LILO on the partition, but I'll just live with it for now.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I don't know about writing it, but a few of them definite partook. ;)

LOL...ain't that the truth.

• Agree 2

V.T. Eric Layton

-- This Slacker Is NO LONGER Running Current! --

Solved the problem here FOR SURE!

I wiped the /dev/sda1 partition and reinstalled Slackware64 14.2, all updated and working fine now. No LILO issues, no bad superblock notices, and Porteus sees and mounts all partitions again. I'm happy now. I'll just be sticking with 14.2 for a while longer, I guess.

Oh, and Nouveau drivers are running my X. I didn't even bother to install Nvidia this time around. Don't need it in Slackware, anyway. I only need it in Windows for gaming. Previously, when trying to use Nouveau a few years back on what's now my shop system (ericsbane06), I could not get full screen resolution on this monitor (1680x1050). Works fine and dandy now, though. :)

In nearly 20 years of running Slackware as my primary OS, I've never installed Current before. Might be another 20 years before I do that again. ;)

Take care, all. Have a wonderful week. :)

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

Wow that was some marathon you ran there. Well done for persevering. An they say Arch is really hard to install and use, it don't hold a candle to Slackware. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Nice going, Eric.  Kinda like buying a new car.....I only bought new once and that was 45 years ago.  A decent used car will do the job.  Well maybe it isn't like buying a new car, but it sounded good.

Edited by wa4chq
  • Agree 1

I have always found that Nouveau worked OK for what I wanted to do in Linux. Now that Nvidia is dropping support for Kepler cards that'll be your only option going forward if you have a 700 or 800 series Nvidia graphics solution.

Even with a Maxwell card I had trouble in older systems with the latest Nvidia stack. I was getting 800X600 resolution and the driver had to be purged. So I'm back to Nouveau.

I did install the proprietary driver on the Acer system I gave to my son-in-law but that has a Pascal based GTX 1060 in it.

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
7 hours ago, abarbarian said:

they say Arch is really hard to install

The thing that mostly scared folks trying Arch for the first time was the CLI installer. The majority of non-techie folks (read as MS Win users) are not familiar with text ONLY interfaces. They're SCARY!

About 95% of what I do in Slackware, I do in the command line. Knowing that command line and being comfortable with it was one of the reasons I passed my Cisco cert test when 13 other people in that class failed. The Cisco test had quite a lot of command line questions.

So, yeah...

15TToWr.jpg

4 hours ago, wa4chq said:

Kinda like buying a new car.....I only bought new once

I've only bought one new vehicle in my life... my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer that my brother has been driving since 2011. I remember getting in that truck and starting it up to leave the dealership; it had 4 miles on the odometer.

I had my old Chevy truck, a Subaru Brat truck, and two HD motorcycles at the time I bought this Trailblazer. I had it eight years, and by the time I gave it to my brother to drive (he had no vehicle and needed to take a job in Fairfax, VA), it only had 11K miles on it. Heh! 11,000 in eight years; not much driving, huh? My brother has made up for it, though. I think it has 145K or so, now. Hęll, my '82 Chevy truck only has 125K on it right now. ;)

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

7 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I've only bought one new vehicle in my life... my 2003 Chevy Trailblazer that my brother has been driving since 2011. I remember getting in that truck and starting it up to leave the dealership; it had 4 miles on the odometer.

I had my old Chevy truck, a Subaru Brat truck, and two HD motorcycles at the time I bought this Trailblazer. I had it eight years, and by the time I gave it to my brother to drive (he had no vehicle and needed to take a job in Fairfax, VA), it only had 11K miles on it. Heh! 11,000 in eight years; not much driving, huh? My brother has made up for it, though. I think it has 145K or so, now. Hęll, my '82 Chevy truck only has 125K on it right now. ;)

OK about the vehicles.  Years ago, I started to not trust the car I was driving.  I had bought it used but back then I wasn't in to being on top of the maintenance.  My neighbor had an Izuzu pup for sale...diesel.  I bought it.  That was a great truck.  The only flaw was the frame was getting rusty.  At that time we had to get our cars inspected every six months.  Well it passed for several years until one day, the guy doing the inspection told me he would pass this time but would not be able to pass it next time around because the frame was shot.

• +1 1

10 hours ago, wa4chq said:

At that time we had to get our cars inspected every six months. 

That is a tad over the top, too much health and safety 😱

I bought my diesel Kia Sportage five years ago with 33,000 on the clock and now it has 120,000. Has never let me down and apart from tyres and brake parts has needed no work done to it. 😎

24 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

That is a tad over the top, too much health and safety 😱

Yes, it was.  I live in a small county so you had to know the guys who cut you some "slack".  We now have annual inspections.

I bought my diesel Kia Sportage five years ago with 33,000 on the clock and now it has 120,000. Has never let me down and apart from tyres and brake parts has needed no work done to it. 😎

I have a Kia Sportage too....sounds like my story.  I bought it maybe 5 or 6 years ago, had 33k on the od but it's gas.  I have about 98k on it and the only issues I had with it was passenger side rocker switch for window messed up and the shift mechanism locked up.  But I really like it.  Oh, and it's white and kinda dusty inside and out.

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
16 hours ago, wa4chq said:

...the frame was shot.

Hmm... are you in a cold weather environment? Do they salt roads there in the wintertime? That will destroy automobiles' bodies and undercarriages, pretty quickly.

Growing up, we were always told by old timers here in FL to never buy a used vehicle that came from any northern States.

securitybreach

The same thing applies in florida with the beaches. Driving cars on the beach in Daytona would cause erosion due to the sand.

• +1 1

1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Hmm... are you in a cold weather environment? Do they salt roads there in the wintertime? That will destroy automobiles' bodies and undercarriages, pretty quickly.

Growing up, we were always told by old timers here in FL to never buy a used vehicle that came from any northern States.

Well, they do salt the roads occasionally around here but I don't know if the fellow I bought it from got it from a local or not...He may not have been the original owner.   Driving on salted roads no doubt caused the frame to rust out.

5 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

The same thing applies in florida with the beaches. Driving cars on the beach in Daytona would cause erosion due to the sand.

Yeah, that's true.  Areas of Virginia Beach, people used to and still may, ride all over the beach.  One other thing in our area that can be a problem are higher than normal tides. 

16 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Yes to all three. 😎

• Agree 1