Copy dvd ?

abarbarian

Hi I need to copy a dvd. Any suggestions ? I would prefer not to use k3b as it draws in too many KDE dependences.  Thanks. 😎

securitybreach

Are you trying to rip it, does it have DRM? If its just a dvd  with no protection, run this:

dd if=/dev/dvd of=image_name.iso

Replace /dev/dvd with your device name.

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach

Well if its that kind of dvd, I prefer handbrake

Handbrake is a powerful open-source tool for encoding and editing video. It includes a graphical control panel to manage your encodes and even preview the result. Part of what makes Handbrake such a favorite in the Linux world is its ability to encode off of a DVD, effectively making it one of the best tools available for ripping DVDs.

The legality of ripping DVDs can be murky in some countries. The purpose of this article is to inform you how to make archival copies of DVDs that you legally own, but be sure to check the laws in your area before continuing.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/install-handbrake-linux-rip-dvd/

;)

I'm not sure Handbrake was available when I was ripping DVD's...  I think it was available for BeOS first back in the early 2k's.

• +1 1

Hedon James
21 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Are you trying to rip it, does it have DRM? If its just a dvd  with no protection, run this:

dd if=/dev/dvd of=image_name.iso

Replace /dev/dvd with your device name.

I thought the same thing.

If it has DRM, I used VLC to determine the appropriate "chapter" to play, then ripped with Handbrake, which I saw below.  Between dd, VLC, and Handbrake, I think all the use cases are covered.  JMO...

• Agree 1

Thanks follks. I will have a go once I find my dvd unit and some blank dvd's. I just want to make a backup of some homemade videos. 🤔

Hedon James
59 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Thanks follks. I will have a go once I find my dvd unit and some blank dvd's. I just want to make a backup of some homemade videos. 🤔

I converted some old VHS movies to mp4 about 10-15 years ago.  It was quite the task back then.  If yours are already on DVD, you should be in pretty good shape.  You're smart to make backups, as DVDs are breakable and will degrade over time with light exposure.  Since you're already moving in that direction, I would suggest you consider ripping the backups as MP4s, or similar digital format.  I chose MP4 for universal compatibility across nearly every device and software player.  I expect the MP4 patent to expire in 2023, much like MP3 did several years ago.  If the proprietary format goes against your personal ethos, there are several other format options.

With the DVD ripped to digital format (MP4, ISO, Ogg-Theora, etc...) just leave it in that format.  Digital format doesn't degrade over time, or with use.  It's easily backed up or copied for sharing, on a flash drive, via e-mail attachment or link to cloud based storage.  And backup/copy of digital files is MUCH QUICKER than a DVD copy/rip.  The tool for this job is definitely Handbrake, and there are numerous pre-sets to choose from.  You could rip to formats for Apple Devices if you choose.

There is no downside, IMO.  JMO, for your consideration...