Bling in the Box

raymac46

IMG_1066_zps4b8edae1.jpg

Have you ever actually bought or built a "gaming computer" with all the bling? I mean glass panels, LED fans, flashing lights, glow in the dark RAM etc. Ever been tempted to try?

At my age and with my computer needs I have not. The most "gamey" looking PC I have is this Cooler Master case from 2013 or so. It has a rather aggressive looking front panel, but inside is a rather unremarkable AMD system. No see-through anything.

Even when considering my most recent prebuild, I went with a basic black box with no sign of it being anything but a business grade desktop. It sits on a shelf attached to the computer dsek and you'd never see anything inside it anyway.

I guess I'll never be a candidate for World's Oldest Teenager - but there ya go.

I was more fascinated with the HP printer. It looks similar to my aging 5550 that I use almost daily. Heaven help me when that dies. I will be in mourning for a year!

I tried to buy a simple printer a few years back. Everything is all-in-ones.

• +1 1

securitybreach

My main machine has lights and such on the motherboard and the Nvidia card. I turn off as much as possible but my case is lit up.

My mechanical keyboard also had RGB lighting but I disable that.

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, raymac46 said:

Have you ever actually bought or built a "gaming computer" with all the bling? I mean glass panels, LED fans, flashing lights, glow in the dark RAM etc. Ever been tempted to try?

I've put together systems in pretty fancy-schmancy cases before, but NOT the Full Monty you're talking about. And no... I'm not tempted. ;)

4 hours ago, zlim said:

I was more fascinated with the HP printer. It looks similar to my aging 5550 that I use almost daily. Heaven help me when that dies. I will be in mourning for a year!

I tried to buy a simple printer a few years back. Everything is all-in-ones.

it *is* a 5550 which I keep around so the grandkids can print stuff without coming upstairs. Right now I think the ink is pretty low. My son-in-law gave it to me when he went wireless a few years ago.

Mostly I use an all in one wireless. I need to scan from time to time.

Just checked out the 5550 and as expected the thing works but the tricolor ink cartridge is low. I guess the kids will have to use my Envy 7155 when they come. Boo hoo. A new tricolor is megabucks unless you get a refurbished one.

V.T. Eric Layton

H3LL, my HP printer almost always has empty cartridges. I don't have the $$$ for them and I don't print enough to worry about it. Besides, they usually end up just drying up in the machine after installation. :(

The Printer Company Business Plan is an awesome profit-maker for these folks; not so good for us folks, though. 😡

V.T. Eric Layton

Reminds me a little of mine. This pic was from when I was bench testing it just after building it. The case came from @amenditman, actually. :)

6Ih18HW.jpg

• Like 2

abarbarian

I built a pc for a friends child way back. Used a standard grey box. Cut out almost all of one side panel. Glued on a sheet of clear plastic. Stuck on a funky light up graphic that was only a couple of £.The graphics on the side label lit up in sequence. Added glowing light up inner cables. Light up fans with glowing add on surrounds. A funky colour changing fan control panel. A can of electric blue spray paint and a can of silver paint for the internals. All the pc bits mobo,gpu etc were brand new but last years stuff and bought dead cheap in sales. Whole thing cost neat to nowt and was good fun to build.

Child loved it and ran for about four years.

Funky pc build album

35kvAaU.jpg

UPRQtUf.jpg

😜

• Like 2
  • +1 1

I just bit the bullet and bought a genuine HP tricolor cart. I dragged out an old cart that was missing cyan and put that in because the problem with cart light was blinking. The light doesn't blink with it in but all the prints have a greenish tint. I don't print anything important so I can live with greenish print.

I always used refurbed carts from LD but I've had problems with a few so I'm not buying from them any more. I drove to a Cartridge World store and bought from there just to figure out if the printer was finally on its last leg or it was the cart.

My 5550 always ends up with plenty of black ink because the kids burn through the tricolor cartridges. Right now it says low on color ink but I still got a test page that was not terrible. I'm not going to worry about it as I still have a working printer upstairs.

Hello,

I have always gone for cases with solid side panels and no LEDs.

I am of the opinion that computers should look boring and do amazing things; not the other way around.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Edited by goretsky
added missing word
  • Like 1

securitybreach
6 hours ago, goretsky said:

Hello,

I have always gone for cases with solid side panels and no LEDs.

I am of the opinion that computers should boring and do amazing things; not the other way around.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Well the problem is it's getting difficult to find a motherboard or video card that doesn't have RGB lightening.

• Like 1

LED outputs that help with diagnostics and provide temperature readouts are great. Otherwise  the old school desktops that have solid panels suit me just fine. Can't see blingy stuff anyway when it's under the desk.

securitybreach
1 hour ago, raymac46 said:

LED outputs that help with diagnostics and provide temperature readouts are great. Otherwise  the old school desktops that have solid panels suit me just fine. Can't see blingy stuff anyway when it's under the desk.

I agree but I needed a fancy case and motherboard, hence the lights I don't want

V.T. Eric Layton

Nah... every so often I take it outside and blow it out with compressed air. Surprisingly, I only have to do this once ever couple years. It takes a while to get dusty/hairy in there. Besides, only one inside cat these days and she has short hair. When my hair is long the way it has been the past couple years, I shed more hair than the cat does. ;)

At least it doesn't look like this inside my case...

dirty_computer.jpg

• Haha 1

Hello,

That's quite true.  While there are still some cases in the enthusiast space that are can be purchased which are "all dark" like from BeQuiet, Corsair, Fractal Designs, Nanoxia, and so forth, it was difficult to find something at the value end that did not have a see-through side panel, grills with RGB fans, etc.  I ended up using a Zalman T6 case, which worked out fine for that build.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 6/9/2021 at 4:37 AM, securitybreach said:

Well the problem is it's getting difficult to find a motherboard or video card that doesn't have RGB lightening.

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, goretsky said:

While there are still some cases in the enthusiast space that are can be purchased which are "all dark" like from BeQuiet, Corsair, Fractal Designs, Nanoxia, and so forth, it was difficult to find something at the value end that did not have a see-through side panel, grills with RGB fans, etc.

I use and recommend Corsair Carbide Series™ 100R Silent Edition Mid-Tower Case  Currently 65 bucks at NewEgg. 3 speed fans which are dead quiet on low. Good dust filtering too - I recently opened it up for the first time in over a year and could barely detect any dust at all.

CC-9011077-WW-100R_Silent_001.png

• Like 2