Gripe Re SMS Messaging used by State

ebrke

Maybe I'm just an old crank, but I really have a problem with a message that popped up on my phone this morning. It apparently was from a source called NotifyMyStateName and instructed me to read an "important message" at the enclosed link and text YES to acknowledge receipt of the message. 

Am I paranoid because I refused to follow a link or worse reply YES to a message from an unknown source? Normally public service messages appear in their entirety in the text, not as a link. I quickly checked news sources for my state and municipality on line and saw that the sky hadn't fallen. Shortly after I received a VM which turned out to be from the same source--my state government encouraging me to get vaccinated. 

securitybreach

If your bank texts you, call your bank. Do not respond. This is 2021, most of your texts and phone calls will be scams.

I never considered clicking or replying. My point was that in my opinion this is an incredibly stupid way for the state to send an "important message". I just wondered if I was a little paranoid.

V.T. Eric Layton

I've never received a SPAM or malware type SMS. I use Signal for SMS on my phone.

Am I paranoid because I refused to follow a link or worse reply YES to a message from an unknown source?

No, I call that being smart. If it is legitimate and they don't hear from you, they will or at least should figure out another way to contact you.

My cellphone is rarely on and I always let the line blank for cellphone number. I fill out home phone (copper wired) and mailing address - let anyone who needs to contact me figure out what to do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

I got a spam message yesterday. You have received money from some unknown entity. Blocked and deleted. I don't answer the phone for this stuff so I sure will not respond to SMS.

• Haha 1

I received similar public service message from the State yesterday. It had the entire msg contained in the text--no click a link or reply to confirm receipt. Maybe they realized that no one in their right mind would ever see their first attempt. 

• Haha 1