New toy....aka micro MX

wa4chq

Greetin's all.... I downloaded MX-Fluxbox for Raspberry Pi this afternoon.  I have a spare monitor and put some velcro on the base and also on the Pi.  So now I have a preety cool micro setup.....  Right now, since I'm still building the house, I have it sitting on top of the old PC I put together back in the late 90's.  So the pic I'm including shows that.....  Operating from the floor isn't the best but until I get the house done and furniture in, it'll do.  Anyway, I am just playing ...

IMG_20210528_163006269_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • +1 1

24 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

I have one mounted on the back one of my TVs as well

Cool....are you running RPi, LibreElec or something else? 

securitybreach

I am running Archlinux ARM on it with some emulators and other various applications including a Pihole dns sever.

Hedon James
16 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Rarely use it for anything on my tv anymore but its still there hooked up.

Do you still update regularly?  Or not at all?  In my experience with rolling releases, the surest way to bork the install is to wait too long between updates.  Rare use is the prime ingredient for me to do exactly that!

securitybreach

I am always connected to them all via ssh and gnuscreen. The PI is running Pihole DNS for my network so it has to stay up to date.

Hedon James
3 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

I update all of my systems every single day.

aha....so you DO use it....every single day.  for at least the duration of a software update.

how many Arch installs do you administer in your home network?  Do you administer them all via ssh?  If so, manually, or a script of some sort?

securitybreach

6 archlinux installs are regularly updated and I admin all but 2 via ssh:

2x servers

1x main desktop/workstation

3x laptops (2 at home and one that I leave at work) I have 5 total but do not use 2 of them anymore.

1x RPi 3 (got 2 more PIs but do not use them).

I used to use a local repo to update them all but I stopped doing that as they do not all use the same packages. 

securitybreach

On the servers, I hold back the kernel package and only update on major releases so 5.12 but not 5.12.5. The next kernel package I will install will be 5.13. That helps so I do not have to reboot the servers daily ;)

Hedon James
On 5/29/2021 at 9:59 AM, securitybreach said:

6 archlinux installs are regularly updated and I admin all but 2 via ssh:

2x servers

1x main desktop/workstation

3x laptops (2 at home and one that I leave at work) I have 5 total but do not use 2 of them anymore.

1x RPi 3 (got 2 more PIs but do not use them).

I used to use a local repo to update them all but I stopped doing that as they do not all use the same packages. 

Tell me more about this local repo method.  Or share a link.  Sounds interesting!

Hedon James

it seems the primary problem solved with pacserve is the elimination of redundant downloads and, I guess to a certain extent, ensures greater homogeneity of software/packages.  so this would solve 50% of my perceived issues with keeping a rolling release (Arch) updated.  Is there a companion tool, or script, to update all Arch installations on a LAN?

EDIT:  I guess I'm asking if there's a way to update my main OS, and simultaneously update all other (nearly) identical installs on my LAN?  I.E.  ONE manual update, but extended across ALL found instances?

Edited by Hedon James

securitybreach

I mean you could do it with Ansible but it would be an overkill for just updating:

Ansible is a radically simple IT automation engine that automates cloud provisioning, configuration management, application deployment, intra-service orchestration, and many other IT needs.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Ansible

securitybreach

The easiest way would be to set up a local cache, update that daily or weekly and set the client machines up to pull down their updates from it on a daily or weekly cron job. You can simply point to your local repo for Core, Community and Extra in your /etc/pacman.conf file.

Hedon James
19 hours ago, securitybreach said:

The easiest way would be to set up a local cache, update that daily or weekly and set the client machines up to pull down their updates from it on a daily or weekly cron job. You can simply point to your local repo for Core, Community and Extra in your /etc/pacman.conf file.

hmmmm.....hadn't thought of a cron job.  have to think my way ALL the way through, but this might work for me.

I use my main machine every day, so keeping that up to date is no big deal.  even on those rare occasions I take a vacation, I'll only miss a week or 10 days.  no big deal.  it's the OTHER 4 machines that I use infrequently (but I DO USE!) that I worry about borking due to infrequency.  if I can keep my everyday machine up-to-date, and monitor the update warnings, and have the OTHER 4 automatically update the same packages I've already vetted.....that might work?!

I need to bookmark this for reference!