Microsoft May C Release Preview for Windows 10 Versions 21H1, 2004 and 20H2

Corrine

Microsoft released KB5003214, the monthly “C” release preview cumulative update with non-security improvements and fixes for Windows 10 Versions 21H1, 2004 and 20H2.  The Release Notes include a long list of improvements and fixes.  Included in the highlighted changes is News and interests on the taskbar is now available to anyone who installs this update.

Prerequisite:

You must install the May 11, 2021 update (KB5003173) before installing the latest cumulative update (LCU).

Microsoft now combines the latest servicing stack update (SSU) for your operating system with the latest LCU. For general information about SSUs, see Servicing stack updates and Servicing Stack Updates (SSU): Frequently Asked Questions.

If you are using Windows Update, the latest SSU will be offered to you automatically. To get the standalone package for the latest SSU, search for it in the Microsoft Update Catalog.

For information about the the types of updates released by Microsoft each month see Windows 10 update servicing cadence primer.

Update:  To get the update, go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.  The link to download and install the update can be found in the Optional updates available area.

Windows 10 update history

securitybreach

So do you know what is up with the goofy naming convention from 19.** to 20H*? What does the "H" denote?

Hello,

The naming convention is YY (the last two digits of year), followed by an H for half-of-the-year, and then a 1 or a 2 for whether it is released in the first half or the second half of the year.  So, Version 21H1 would be a release in the first half of 2021, while Version 21H2 would be a release in the second half of 2021.  This replaces the YYMM convention that Microsoft initially started with for Versions 1507 (planned for release in July 2015)  through 1909 (planned for release in September 2019), but Microsoft discontinued as they fell further and further behind their intended release schedule, with versions gradually being released a couple of months after the MM date in the version number.  For example, Version 1909 (September 2019) being released in November 2019, the eleventh month of the year.

By switching from a month in the version number to half of the year versioning, Microsoft makes the release date more opaque, and it does not look to analysts or investors that they are falling behind schedule anymore, which helps maintain the price of their stock.

Microsoft has adopted a tick-tock release cycle, similar to what Intel did for several years, with incremental upgrades and fixes occurring in the smaller "tick" or H1 release, and more new features and functionality being added in the larger "tock" or H2 release.  There may also be some differences in how long the tick and tock releases are supported for enterprise customers in order to allow them to have more stable versions of Windows installed for a longer period.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• +1 1

securitybreach

So basically they over complicated things because they couldn't keep up with their own release schedules? Sounds about right.... Jeez..

securitybreach

It would just be easier to follow the previous naming. You could have up to a hundred releases. Like 20.01, 20.02, etc until it was a major release; then it would be 21.0. 

Hello,

Well, that's one way to look at things, but I think the underlying problem is that when you make something that's used on a billion computers it is only going to be more complex and complicated over time, not less.  So, the fact that they've scaled up so that their release cycle is still twice a year with a minor update followed by a major update is actually a good thing.  It also helps customers plan out their own upgrades, so it's good for them, too.

I was kind of curious about how big Windows 10 had gotten over the years, so just to compare things, the Windows 10 Home/Pro Version 1507 Build 10240 (x64) .ISO file I have from September 2015 is 3.80 GB in size.  The Windows 10 Home/Pro Version 21H1 Build 19043 (x64) .ISO file I have from  May 2021 is 5.42 GB in size, or has grown 40% larger in size over 5 years and 8 months.  Now, that's not an exact linear measurement, because not everything in the original .ISO is going to be a part of that latest one, but it is indicative that they are fixing things, adding support for new hardware and software, and so forth.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

21 hours ago, securitybreach said:

So basically they over complicated things because they couldn't keep up with their own release schedules? Sounds about right.... Jeez..

securitybreach

Or just doing like they were previously and just building on top of previous builds. It's been based on the NT since 1993 so actually surprised that it hasnt gotten even larger. You would of think that a complete overhaul would be required at some point. I know.. there have been an insane amount of changes over the years but an overhaul could streamline the OS and get rid of the goofy bugs with no real origin. Of course, I've only been using windows (at work only) for the last 6 years. Before that, it was like 15+ years since I used windows.

It would be nice to see a Win10 base version with everything like Cortana, Edge, games, telemetry left out. In my current installation I have stripped out as much as possible with the Win10Privacy application, but it should be available from MS like that IMO.

An indication of Windows complexity was when I got a new desktop recently. From bootup to getting things back the way I wanted took 2 days of futzing around. Then installing and configuring Linux Mint on the old desktop took 90 minutes. You can figure it out. Nice hardware on the new one though.

securitybreach

Yeah. Even if you wanted windows, it would be best to format the harddrive on any new machine and just reinstall windows. You can get the ISO straight from microsoft and it will activate using the key that came with your machine (built in or labeled). That way you do not have a crap ton of recovery partitions with all the extra crap that gets preinstalled on the machines nowadays. If you have an issue with the microsoft drivers on a component, simply download the driver from the product support page of the model you are using.

Or do like I would do... Do not even boot into windows and agree to the their EULA, wipe the drive and install Linux as soon as you plug it all up.

securitybreach

You used to be able to get the $25 or whatever the microsoft license costs then if you never agreed to the terms. If I remember correctly, it was a process but it could be done.

I want Windows for my train sims that do not run in Linux. Also my photo management program is Windows only. Most of the IT was getting the sims reinstalled and running well. They are monsters. Also I got rid of McAfee, banished Cortana, and turned off a bunch of notifications. I had to install my FOSS browsers and office apps. All that stuff comes standard with Linux.

When I got my off lease Thinkpad a few years ago it had been refurbed with Windows 10 and I don't think Lenovo really supported it. No matter, it's been running Linux from the get-go.