News and Interests on the Windows Taskbar

Corrine

With the release of the Windows 10 May 2021 update, those who didn't already have it will see the new "News and Interests" ion their taskbar.  For information about the available settings, see this Microsoft Support article:  Stay up to date with news and interests, which includes instructions on how to turn it off.

Also note that News and Interests has been a phased rollout as indicated in this article, Group configuration: news and interests on the Windows taskbar, published last month:
News and interests on the taskbar will begin rolling out to Windows 10 users today. We are taking a measured approach starting with the April 2021 Cumulative Update Preview for Windows 10, and broad availability will occur in phases. Devices running Windows 10, version 1909 (and later) who have installed the May 2021 Windows monthly update (or later) will be included in this phased rollout.
  • Like 1

I disabled it too.  Not only is it a feature I don't need, I found it "obtrusive".  I wouldn't have minded just the icon if it also showed the temperature rather than just if it is full sun, partly cloudy, etc.  Although the icon didn't ppp up the News and Interests as easily as the "show icon and text" when moving the mouse past it, it still managed to launch it and get in the way of what I was doing.