Google Voice stopped working in Chrome and Brave browsers

Bookmem

I have used Google Voice for years but yesterday it stopped working in both Chrome and Brave browser.  The page won't load. But it still works in Firefox and Android app.  I can also access it from Android Chrome.  Tried from both Linux box and Windows 10 computers.

securitybreach

Might be worth a try:

This issue is caused by software on your computer and/or its web browser that is blocking things that Google Voice needs to operate.

Check your computer, for either browser extensions or security/privacy software (uBlock Origin. Malwarebytes, other similar products).  Do not block WebRTC.  Do not block javascript.  Do not block any [*.]google.com cookies.  After unblocking everything, clear your browser's cache, cookies and history, close and re-open your browser, and then try to load the Google Voice website:  https://voice.google.com

https://support.google.com/voice/thread/31520163/google-voice-isn-t-loading-on-desktop-computer-i-can-t-see-my-texts-or-make-any-new-texts?hl=en

16 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Been there, checked that.  This is happening on three different computer with both Brave and Chrome.  I made no changes to any of them and yet they all stopped loading. 

Just now, securitybreach said:

Even odder, it works fine here on chromium.

Works in Firefox too.  While Chrome and Brave are based on Chromium, they are not the same.  Just tried Edge.  It stuck trying to login to the email account.  And I have NO extensions loaded in Edge 'cause I don't normally use it.

7 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Worked in google-chrome too for me.

I got it to work in Edge but it still won't load in either Brave or Chrome even after I disable ALL of the extensions.  Just tried it on my laptop connected to my smartphone hotspot instead of my home router.  That didn't work either.  What version of Chrome did you install?  I have 90.0.4430.212 

13 hours ago, securitybreach said:

version 90.0.4430.212-1

I found out what's causing the problem, but the cure is worse than the disease.  The Brave browser blocks sites from tracking your history with an extension "Disable HTML5 Autoplay (Reloaded)" which is also available in Chrome.  But it also keeps sites from auto playing video/audio clips.  I HATE that.

Why this all of a sudden block Google Voice, I don't know.  But I'm not going to turn it off.  I'll just use Edge to access Voice since it will have no history to track anyway.

securitybreach

Yeah, it is BS but sounds like exactly what google would do. I haven't use my google voice number in a long time.