TLDR replacement for man.

securitybreach

securitybreach

The tldr-pages project is a collection of community-maintained help pages for command-line tools, that aims to be a simpler, more approachable complement to traditional man pages.

Maybe you are new to the command-line world? Or just a little rusty? Or perhaps you can't always remember the arguments to lsof, or tar?

It certainly doesn't help that the first option explained in man tar is:

-b blocksize
   Specify the block size, in 512-byte records, for tape drive I/O.
   As a rule, this argument is only needed when reading from or writing to tape drives,
   and usually not even then as the default block size of 20 records (10240 bytes) is very common.

There seems to be room for simpler help pages, focused on practical examples. How about:

animated svg of the tldr client displaying the tar command

This repository is just that: an ever-growing collection of examples for the most common UNIX, Linux, macOS, SunOS and Windows command-line tools.

https://github.com/tldr-pages/tldr

It's available in the Arch Community repo and I setup mine with an alias for man in ~/.zshrc:

8fyByYh.png

TL;DR stands for "Too Long; Didn't Read". It originates in Internet slang, where it is used to indicate that a long text (or parts of it) has been skipped as too lengthy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • +1 1

saturnian

I installed tldr in Kubuntu 20.04. I don't see this as a "replacement" for man, but tldr is cool, I'll definitely use it! Lol, there's a short man page for it, and also the tldr tldr command.

securitybreach
10 hours ago, saturnian said:

I installed tldr in Kubuntu 20.04. I don't see this as a "replacement" for man, but tldr is cool, I'll definitely use it! Lol, there's a short man page for it, and also the tldr tldr command.

Replacement as in alternative if you are looking for a quick syntax usage.

securitybreach

Well maybe the developer doesn't use Debian or Archlinux. I always tend to install the version from the distro's package manager, otherwise you must manually update to newer versions.

abarbarian

Neat little tool. Has been mentioned here at Scot's before.

There are a whole ton of different versions of the client,

tldr pages clients

the official Arch version is based on python,

https://archlinux.org/packages/community/any/tldr/

there are several more versions in the AUR

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/?O=0&SeB=nd&K=tldr&outdated=&SB=n&SO=a&PP=50&do_Search=Go

I have no idea what the differences are in the versions apart from the code used to build them. these two links give a little more information on tdlr use and customisation,

tldr-bash-client

tealdeer

An of course there is always a better version with more bells and whistles,

A Better TLDR

tldr++

I thought this tip might be of use,

Autocompletion

When the following lines are added to ~/.bashrc or run in the current session, then tldr will autocomplete, which means possible tldr page names will be suggested when tapping the Tab key twice on an incomplete tldr page name:

cachedir=~/.local/share/tldr # Or whatever else the location of the tldr cache is
complete -W "$(q=($cachedir/*/*); sed 's@\.md @ @g' <<<${q[@]##*/})" tldr

😎

Edited by abarbarian