Jump to content

Printer re-installation help, please


SueD
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi Bookmem

There should be a reset button on the router to put it back to its original settings, and that password should be listed on the router's support web site.  It will also reset the wifi password and SSID to the ones printed on the router itself.

Yeah, no, I'm not doing that. With my luck I'd wipe everything out and never get back online again. Thanks anyways.

 

Ray,

I just spent 3 hours trying to fresh connect it to Steve Windows laptop. Ok, so 2 hours was spent trying to remember how to get around Windows. I was hoping it would change the SSID and PW and it did. At least now it shows the right SSID . However, it still won't print anything else. 

Any other ideas before I trash it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, SueD said:

Hi Bookmem

There should be a reset button on the router to put it back to its original settings, and that password should be listed on the router's support web site.  It will also reset the wifi password and SSID to the ones printed on the router itself.

Yeah, no, I'm not doing that. With my luck I'd wipe everything out and never get back online again. Thanks anyways.

 

Ray,

I just spent 3 hours trying to fresh connect it to Steve Windows laptop. Ok, so 2 hours was spent trying to remember how to get around Windows. I was hoping it would change the SSID and PW and it did. At least now it shows the right SSID . However, it still won't print anything else. 

Any other ideas before I trash it?

Are you able to print and scan from the Windows laptop?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is your Linux machine on the same local network as the printer? Try either sudo ifconfig or sudo ip addr to verify.

Then check in Printers to see if you have a printer listed. If so, remove and add it again. The computer should find the printer if it's on the same network.

One other question. Has your modem been fixed so it does not give out dhcp addresses or broadcast wifi? You don't want it competing with your router.

I am sure this is all a matter of getting the network right.

Edited by raymac46
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To print from Windows you have to add the printer and make sure the right driver is installed. Maybe Windows will work with your printer without installing the HP software but who knows?

If I understand you you can't print from Windows or Linux. I would reboot everything - modem, router, printer, PC(s).

Edited by raymac46
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can you tell me the model and make of your internal router and also of your ISP's gateway. Then I can do a little research on what networks we are dealing with here.

As an example my gateway when it was working to assign IP addresses used 192.168.0.X and my new router uses 192.168.1.X so you have to make sure every piece of equipment is on the 192.168.1.X net or you'll have trouble.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

To print from Windows you have to add the printer and make sure the right driver is installed. Maybe Windows will work with your printer without installing the HP software but who knows?

If I understand you you can't print from Windows or Linux. I would reboot everything - modem, router, printer, PC(s).

Mine isn't the same model, but the way I got it to work was to use the HP Windows software to set the printer up as a "network printer".  The in Mint I just used "Add a Printer" and chose "network" and the HP showed as an option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, raymac46 said:

Yes it's easy if everything is on the same LAN. But we have a router and a gateway here.

My impression is that it is still a her LAN but that without fist connecting with windows, you need to use the SSID, gateway IP and wifi password to fist setup the HP's connection to the LAN.  IOW, HP doesn't provide the Linux software to do that, so you have to do it manually.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

She has a bad gateway and put an old router behind it. The printer was on the original gateway SSID and passsword. Whether she's got it right now I don't know. If so it should be easy to add a printer with either Linux or Windows provided everything's on the same subnet. With my printer you can manually change the IP on a control panel but with Sue's that is apparently not possible so she'll have to use Windows or a smartphone app to get the printer configured right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

She has a bad gateway and put an old router behind it. The printer was on the original gateway SSID and passsword. Whether she's got it right now I don't know. If so it should be easy to add a printer with either Linux or Windows provided everything's on the same subnet. With my printer you can manually change the IP on a control panel but with Sue's that is apparently not possible so she'll have to use Windows or a smartphone app to get the printer configured right.

Let me see if I'm hearing what you are saying.  She has a modem/router with wired and wifi connections.  The computer is connected to the wired and the printer to the wifi.  The wifi went bad so she connected an old wifi router to a wired port on the original router and is trying to print through that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that's correct. I am not there so you'd have to ask Sue for sure. I assume she has also connected the desktop to the old router, not the gateway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

I think that's correct. I am not there so you'd have to ask Sue for sure. I assume she has also connected the desktop to the old router, not the gateway.

If that's it, then it's not going to work.  First of all, DHCP needs to be turned off on one of them and the computer and printer need to be on the same LAN.  It sounds to me that if it requires changing router settings, she'll stick with connecting via USB

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I understand. I have an ISP gateway here that has been dumbed down to a modem with a mesh network behind it. Everything is on the mesh net and everything works. The only DHCP and wifi is on the mesh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

securitybreach

So it sounds like what I do, use the gateway for the original connection and pass through to my good router behind it. In that case, it would have to be connected to the personal router as you all have said.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes if you get everything on the same subnet it should be fine. The problem is I don't know if Sue has dueling routers or nested subnets. I hope she returns because if we know the IP addresses she's working with we can get her printer functioning.

I had the same issue when I installed the mesh network because I forgot to manually change the IP on the printer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Let me see if I'm hearing what you are saying.  She has a modem/router with wired and wifi connections.  The computer is connected to the wired and the printer to the wifi.  The wifi went bad so she connected an old wifi router to a wired port on the original router and is trying to print through that?

 

Bookmem, that's exactly what I did.

 

If that's it, then it's not going to work.  First of all, DHCP needs to be turned off on one of them and the computer and printer need to be on the same LAN.  It sounds to me that if it requires changing router settings, she'll stick with connecting via USB

 

Ok, I understand what you're saying there. So I have no choice but to contact my ISP for a new modem? I can't do anything about that until next week, if that's the case. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you have the desktop Linux system plugged into your old router behind the ISP gateway, and the Windows laptop and the printer are all gettng IP addresses from that old router, then the printer should work from both Windows and Linux. You might have to remove the old printer setups and add the printer again but it should work. I have exactly that setup here and everything is working. The printer has an IP address, connects wirelessly and I can print from Linux laptops, Windows laptops, Windows desktops and Linux desktops. But everything has to be on the same LAN. If anything is getting an IP address from your original gateway you could have trouble. I cannot say for sure you have everything set up OK as I still don't know the IP of your gateway and other stuff on the LAN. The only thing that should plug into the ISP gateway is your old router.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

If you have the desktop Linux system plugged into your old router behind the ISP gateway, and the Windows laptop and the printer are all gettng IP addresses from that old router, then the printer should work from both Windows and Linux. You might have to remove the old printer setups and add the printer again but it should work. I have exactly that setup here and everything is working. The printer has an IP address, connects wirelessly and I can print from Linux laptops, Windows laptops, Windows desktops and Linux desktops. But everything has to be on the same LAN. If anything is getting an IP address from your original gateway you could have trouble. I cannot say for sure you have everything set up OK as I still don't know the IP of your gateway and other stuff on the LAN. The only thing that should plug into the ISP gateway is your old router.

Yes, if every thing is plugged into the old router, and the cable from the ISP's router is plugged into the old router's WAN port, then it should work.

  • +1 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

At this point,I can hardly keep up with the tries.I have the same printer on Mint 19.xx and it seems to work fine .But my suggestion is see if you can install it from a live DVD of your Distro. The experts here will comment if that is even possible.

GoodLuck

jolphil

PS my lpstat:

 lpstat -s
system default destination: WorkForce-610
device for HP_LaserJet_MFP_M28w_A9A304_: ipp://NPIA9A304.local:631/ipp/print
device for HP_LaserJet_MFP_M28w_A9A304_@NPIA9A304.local: ipps://NPIA9A304.local:631/ipp/print
device for WorkForce-610: usb://EPSON/WorkForce%20610?serial=4C484D593333383636&interface=1
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This coming week, my ISP is sending a work crew here for an pre-existing problem and I've asked them to bring me a new modem. I will reinstall the printer after. I'll let you know how that fares out.

  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know if you have an Android phone, but the HP Smart app for Android is excellent for checking up on the printer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...