Printer re-installation help, please

SueD

Hi All,

Been a while, eh? You've taught me so well I haven't really needed any help until now. 

I'm running Ubuntu 18.04.5. Last summer I bought a HP laserjet pro mfp m28w. I had some issues installing it but finally got it, kinda. The printer worked with my PC but the scanner only worked from my phone. Yeah, didn't seem important at the time so I just left it. It worked until it didn't

Turned on the printer yesterday, went to print something quite important and nothing. My printer isn't even in the Device Manager. So, I went to this site,  the same one I used when I installed the printer last summer. I skipped down to Step 4:Configure HP printer. Printer is connected via temporary cable to my PC, run hp-setup, Device Manager comes up, I choose the Wireless 802.11 option and get an error: No devices found on bus: usb. Try the other 3 options and still nothing. 

What did I do wrong this time?

Hi Josh :)

I tried the HP site earlier without luck. I still get the error message, no devices found on bus.

BUT...

The askubuntu site worked!! Thanks so much Josh, I really appreciate it. :)

• Like 2

Aaaaand I'm back.

I seem to be stuck in a loop. The HP Device Manager keeps popping up, telling me to configure my device. I do, it goes through the motions right to the end where it tells me wireless has been configured. I'm told to disconnect the usb cable, and run hp-setup. And it will only print while connected to the temp cable. Yeah, no, kind of defeats the purpose of having a wireless printer, eh. 😕 

ETA...when it does print, it goes nuts and prints the same page repeatedly till the paper tray is empty.

Edited by SueD

Warning and wifi lights are still flashing. Once it says it's connected, it tells me to run hp-setup. And it takes me right back to setting up the wireless, again.

When the usb cable is disconnected can you ping the printer from the computer? Are both on the same network? Have you tried power cycling the router, PC and printer? Tried another distro like Mint or Manjaro?

• Agree 1

Hey Ray,

Not sure what you're asking so I'll say I don't know. 

Error message when I boot up now is HPLIP Status Service, Unable to start, Exiting

sue@sudevlin:~$ journalctl -xe
-- 
-- The start-up result is RESULT.
Apr 27 11:00:40 sudevlin anacron[13419]: Anacron 2.3 started on 2021-04-27
Apr 27 11:00:40 sudevlin anacron[13419]: Normal exit (0 jobs run)
Apr 27 11:17:01 sudevlin CRON[13627]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for
Apr 27 11:17:01 sudevlin CRON[13628]: (root) CMD (   cd / && run-parts --report 
Apr 27 11:17:01 sudevlin CRON[13627]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for
Apr 27 11:28:33 sudevlin dbus-daemon[1101]: [session uid=1000 pid=1101] Activati
Apr 27 11:28:33 sudevlin systemd[1003]: Starting GNOME Terminal Server...
-- Subject: Unit UNIT has begun start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
-- 
-- Unit UNIT has begun starting up.
Apr 27 11:28:33 sudevlin dbus-daemon[1101]: [session uid=1000 pid=1101] Successf
Apr 27 11:28:33 sudevlin systemd[1003]: Started GNOME Terminal Server.
-- Subject: Unit UNIT has finished start-up
-- Defined-By: systemd
-- Support: http://www.ubuntu.com/support
-- 
-- Unit UNIT has finished starting up.
-- 
-- The start-up result is RESULT.

securitybreach

Odd, it should show up there if the service is failing. Can you post the output of 

systemctl status HPLIP.service 

Or whatever the service is called.

sue@sudevlin:~$ systemctl status cups.path
● cups.path - CUPS Scheduler
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/cups.path; enabled; vendor preset: enable
   Active: active (running) since Tue 2021-04-27 05:45:46 EDT; 6h ago

Apr 27 05:45:46 sudevlin systemd[1]: Started CUPS Scheduler.
lines 1-5/5 (EN

Sorry, my boo-boo.

sue@sudevlin:~$ lpstat -s
system default destination: HP-LaserJet-MFP-M28-M31
device for HP-LaserJet-MFP-M28-M31: usb://HP/LaserJet%20MFP%20M28-M31?serial=VNB3F31510