i3wm: an excellent and aesthetically pleasing window manager

securitybreach

securitybreach

It has been a while since I tried a new tiler. Lately, I have been having a  ‘good time’ building a vanilla i3wm desktop. In keeping with my preference of ‘less is more’  (the K.I.S.S. principle), I have made a serious attempt to use fewer, rather than more, add-ons. My preference is to use add-ons that are at once powerful, simple and not complex. Those add-ons I do use, I try to stretch to their fullest.

i3wm offers a very resource rich ecosphere. But too often available add-on tools seem to add complexity and bloat without actually accomplishing their ‘stated task objective(s)’.  Given that add-on applications tend to increase (software) bloat, I really wanted to see if I could build a nice, highly functional, pretty to my old eyes, environment that consumed about the same RAM as my dwm setup. (You will be excused if you think of this as technical elitism.)..........

https://eirenicon.org/i3wm-an-excellent-and-aesthetically-pleasing-window-manager/

• Agree 1

Looks interesting and I've considered it before as a lighter option on my music production system. I might try it out once my current 357 pending projects and chores are done. 🙃

How do you think it would handle Dolphin as file manager @securitybreach? The one main thing from KDE I wouldn't want to do without. What do you use as FM?

The Conky shows 2.5GB RAM used with Firefox and Dropbox (Nemo?) running. I have to open a lot of programs or browser tabs to get that high in KDE Plasma!

securitybreach
1 hour ago, sunrat said:

Looks interesting and I've considered it before as a lighter option on my music production system. I might try it out once my current 357 pending projects and chores are done. 🙃

How do you think it would handle Dolphin as file manager @securitybreach? The one main thing from KDE I wouldn't want to do without. What do you use as FM?

The Conky shows 2.5GB RAM used with Firefox and Dropbox (Nemo?) running. I have to open a lot of programs or browser tabs to get that high in KDE Plasma!

I think it would do fine with dolphin but I prefer pcmanfm as a gui file manager and fff or command line operations as my cli one.

securitybreach
15 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

Wow....I just remembered I could float the windows, resize and move them around!  Why did I forget this?  🤔

Well, I do not ever use it unless I show someone that I can move a window across all of my monitors (a rare occurrence as no one really come over). I think at one time, I had to use it for a game at one time but I cannot think of why it would be used. I am probably missing an obvious example though.

1 hour ago, securitybreach said:

Well, I do not ever use it unless I show someone that I can move a window across all of my monitors (a rare occurrence as no one really come over). I think at one time, I had to use it for a game at one time but I cannot think of why it would be used. I am probably missing an obvious example though.

Hey SB...I have a few things I like to run and watch on my screen.  Just using a laptop....for now.  I was just creating 2 windows up top and 1 on the bottom....cutting it into thirds, I guess.  There was a lot of empty space around the window running my stock quotes and the other window running ssh, monitoring pihole.  Both of these are the two windows up top.  I didn't like it.  I was going to put borders around them.  I went to Dot Share to find example configs for I3wm when I noticed a lot of folks had "floaters"...lol   Anyway, I went with it.

before.jpg

after.jpg

• +1 1

2 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Cool

Well kinda....I'm noticing the stock report hasn't changed since taking the screenshot.  It's supposed to update every 5 seconds.