Running Linux on Real Junk

raymac46

Being a junk conoisseur I'd really suggest a Thinkpad T430 or such like for your project. Built like a tank, solid components, easy to service.

On 11/8/2022 at 4:11 PM, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Well, y'all seem to be having fun playing with your "junk". Unfortunately, the only junk I have around here these days is my old shop system (ericsbane05 - 2012) and my main machine in here (ericsband07 - 2016). Both are old and decrepit like me; yet, still working fine running Slackware. Although, the shop system has been down for a couple years (bad PSU).

So, no tinkering for me these days. I do enjoy reading about you folks' escapades, though. :)

My 1017 Skylake build is still running very well with Arch installed.  so it ain't that much younger than yours mate. If you could get of yer arse and reinstall on that ssd you have you would certainly have a much better computing experience. 😝

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Meh... I've pretty much decided that this (main system) will be my last computer. Once it takes a poop, I'll be outta' here for good. I really don't have a pressing need for the Internet... and can't afford it, anyway. I'll be lucky to be able to keep my electricity and water turned on. When you're poor, your priorities are very different than those you thought were priorities when you had $. It is what it is...

7 hours ago, Corrine said:

Best that system keep running, Eric, because SNF would most definitely not be the same without you.

I'll second that motion.

How to Build a Bicycle Generator

The project was created as part of Infrastructure Academy's environmental technology curriculum for high school students, so it is intended to be both achievable and affordable.

You could give this project a try Eric. 😎

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
52 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

VTEL, you signed a contract, remember?  You're stuck here.

Yes, but it was in ink, not the blood signing that Josh did. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Yes, but it was in ink, not the blood signing that Josh did. ;)

but was it Josh's blood?  might not be as binding as you think?  😜

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

securitybreach
5 hours ago, Urmas said:

Well, well, well. Howdy, mortal!

Hey Urmas, nice to see you around chief. Hope you are doing well my friend.

• +1 1

Most of the Real Junk i repurposed with Linux was done in the early 2010s when a lot of folks in the neighborhood were getting rid of their Windows XP desktops. Many of these featured quite solidly built hardware - even if they were made by eMachines. The Windows 7 replacements people got at the time were largely consumer grade laptops (which were coming down in price.)

Now if someone is replacing one of those Win7/8 laptops I am not interested in getting the old one because most of them are hard to work on or not worth upgrading. My daughter has had 2 cheap HP Envy laptops and they usually ended up with broken hinges or cracked screens. She now has a Dell Inspiron 15 so we'll see how that holds up.

Edited by raymac46