Bad Android Update

raymac46

If you have an Android phone you may be getting a bunch of random crashes in email and messenger. This is caused by a bad Google Chrome update. Update again and things should be fixed.

• +1 1

6 hours ago, raymac46 said:

This is caused by a bad Google Chrome update.

"bad Google" - there's 2 words I see together regularly these days.

• Haha 1

securitybreach

Ah, ok so it could be a Samsung issue. I have a OnePlus device and no issues here. My coworker did say that he got an update on his samsung device today.

I updated 3 Samsung devices yesterday. I don't use Chrome unless I have a Zoom link.

I also don't use the email app in android and I don't use Messenger so if there was a problem, I wouldn't notice it.

I guess I'll check if there is another update today.

Here's the reason

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/22/22345696/google-android-apps-crashing-fix-system-webview

Edited by zlim
more info

securitybreach

I ran across this at work for someone. Turns out that he had 14 updates in the galaxy store. His was crashing in the Samsung text app and the Samsung email client so it may be some Samsung updates that need applied. I'm kind of irked that they use their own store instead of normal Android store.

I don't use the Galaxy store for apps. Just choose what I want fron the Google Play Store. However the messages app may be from Samsung. I have not bothered to check.

Update: Looks like the messages app we use is from Samsung but it was already installed on the phone.

securitybreach

Yeah, all of the Samsung apps preinstalled use the galaxy store and that is the only way they are updated besides an OS update.