Another Arch Install

raymac46

On 3/14/2021 at 9:39 AM, Hedon James said:

As for music, I see many LXQt folks using Clementine.  I just dont like it.  I REALLY liked the Banshee Media Player, but that's a GTK toolkit and development seems to have stalled or ceased a long time ago.  This is one of those apps that I would have made a "GTK exception" for, but I was having issues with Banshee before my switch, and I'm not making an exception for buggy software.  Looked around and ended up settling on Cantata, which is a GUI frontend for mpd.  I don't LOVE it like Banshee, but it's the closest I could get to what I liked about Banshee.  At least it's lightweight.  I added Puddletag to manage mp3 metadata that Banshee used to handle, and I don't rip CDs anymore, so I've got TWO music softwares to replace the functionality of Banshee, which would be 3 music softwares if I installed a CD ripper.  Other Qt music players I strongly considered before settling on Cantata were Sayonara and Yarock.  I've recently stumbled on Tauon Music Box, but haven't had a chance to fully vette it for my needs/tastes yet.  May not be in Debian repos anyhow, but I'll bet someone has it in AUR, or will soon.

Doing a little selective quoting here. I've been using Audacious -- in Arch as well as in Debian and Kubuntu. I recently found DeaDBeeF, and I've been testing that one out. It's available in the Arch repos, but not in the Debian or Ubuntu repos. Their site has installation instructions for Debian and Ubuntu, though. I tried it in Arch, then added it to one of my Buster installations.

Just wanted to mention it here for those who might prefer this sort of music player, especially since Arch happens to have it in the repos. From what I'm seeing so far, I'm liking DeaDBeeF as much as Audacious, if not more.

(See: https://deadbeef.sourceforge.io/)

Hedon James

Audacious is my 2nd option!  In my music studio, it's my 1st choice, as the ability to slow down music and stay on pitch is an amazing feature when it comes to deciphering new music; and slowing down or increasing pitch comes in handy when I realize that the recording is in a different tuning than my instrument.

• 2 weeks later...

Continuing with configuration on my Lenovo laptop. I installed Bluetooth and enabled it just in case. Also I installed Digikam to manage a digital photo collection. Samba works here so I downloaded the photos from my LAN storage drive.

• +1 1

On 3/15/2021 at 4:09 PM, raymac46 said:

@saturnian At least you can take one of your laptops running Arch to the coffee shop and look cool - well you can once you're vaccinated.

Ah so you are one of theses folk then

m62q9kohvue61.png

On 3/16/2021 at 8:29 PM, raymac46 said:

MX-Linux used Conky and I got used to having it on screen so I'm glad to have figured out how to configure it in Arch.

MX linux has a ton of different conkys which you can play around with by using their conky-manager2 tool. You can install conky-manager2 on an Arch build and use those MX conkys by copying the relevant folder over from a MX install.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/conky-manager2-git/

https://mxlinux.org/blog/new-conky-configurations-in-latest-updates-and-a-new-conky-manager-as-well/

You can copy the new conky configurations folders to your ~/.conky folder if you want to use them.

😎

• Thanks 1

securitybreach
29 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Ah so you are one of theses folk then

m62q9kohvue61.png

Nah, they just install Manjaro and use an Archlinux wallpaper.

3 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Nah, they just install Manjaro and use an Archlinux wallpaper.

Then I can haz Arch too! 🤪

arch.png

Judging from the number of hits for a DDG search for "Archlinux wallpaper", Arch users spend most of their time creating wallpapers! 😁

• Haha 2
  • Agree 1

On 3/28/2021 at 10:54 PM, sunrat said:

Then I can haz Arch too! 🤪

arch.png

Judging from the number of hits for a DDG search for "Archlinux wallpaper", Arch users spend most of their time creating wallpapers! 😁

Arch users spend most of their time creating wallpapers oo watching anime. Well at least one of the devs spends a fair amount of time watching anime.

http://allanmcrae.com/category/anime/

An watches some very good anime too 😋

securitybreach
7 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Arch users spend most of their time creating wallpapers oo watching anime. Well at least one of the devs spends a fair amount of time watching anime.

http://allanmcrae.com/category/anime/

An watches some very good anime too 😋

He is also the creator of pacman.

• +1 1