Devuan 3.1 Released

V.T. Eric Layton

One of the neckbeards' favourite distros. I don't care for it and consider it a waste of developer resources. Countless hours of dev time wasted so they can follow their "init freedom" philosophy. They don't offer systemd as an option so where is my freedom? It progressively becomes less compatible with the whole Debian ecosystem with each release. RMS would be proud though.

The comments section in that Phoronix article are shaping up to be an exciting and entertaining flamewar. Devuan is good at those. 😏

13 hours ago, sunrat said:

One of the neckbeards' favourite distros. I don't care for it and consider it a waste of developer resources. Countless hours of dev time wasted so they can follow their "init freedom" philosophy. They don't offer systemd as an option so where is my freedom? It progressively becomes less compatible with the whole Debian ecosystem with each release. RMS would be proud though.

The comments section in that Phoronix article are shaping up to be an exciting and entertaining flamewar. Devuan is good at those. 😏

If you want systemd you are free to run Debian, LOL.  Ironically, I think I read an article recently about Debian adopting some policies to include other init options.  Trying to pull Devuan devs back into the Debian fold?  What about Upstart?  Maybe they can pull former Ubuntu users upstream?  Or maybe they don't want them?  LOL!

This is one flamewar I don't want to enlist in, thanks. Regular old Debian with systemd works fine for me. I even like the LXQT desktop with Debian.

Edited by raymac46
  • Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

For the sake of calm and tranquility, I will not participate here in any SystemD vs. SysVinit discussions.

Have a peaceful day! :)

• Agree 1

securitybreach
2 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

For the sake of calm and tranquility, I will not participate here in any SystemD vs. SysVinit discussions.

Have a peaceful day! :)

Same.. BTW Systemd FTW  and Vim is the best editor. :hysterical: 

• Haha 1

V.T. Eric Layton
1 hour ago, securitybreach said:

You've been CENSORED.*

*Note: I made this posting using VIM in Slackware Linux with SysVinit. ✅

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Hedon James said:

What about Upstart?  Maybe they can pull former Ubuntu users upstream?  Or maybe they don't want them?  LOL!

Isn't upstart dead? You obviously haven't read Debian User Forums - nobody wants Ubuntu users upstream! 😏

3 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Vim may be the best editor for neckbeards, but nano is fine for us mere plebs. 🚒

6 hours ago, raymac46 said:

This is one flamewar I don't want to enlist in, thanks. Regualr old Debian with systemd works fine for me. I even like the LXQT desktop with Debian.

My bad Sunrat....i certainly didn't mean to throw sparks, but re-reading my prior response, I can understand how it could be interpreted that way.  As a matter of clarity, that whole post was tongue in cheek!  FWIW...

securitybreach
12 minutes ago, sunrat said:

Isn't upstart dead? You obviously haven't read Debian User Forums - nobody wants Ubuntu users upstream! 😏

Vim may be the best editor for neckbeards, but nano is fine for us mere plebs. 🚒

Neck beards? My beard covers my face, not my neck lol

3 hours ago, Hedon James said:

My bad Sunrat....i certainly didn't mean to throw sparks, but re-reading my prior response, I can understand how it could be interpreted that way.  As a matter of clarity, that whole post was tongue in cheek!  FWIW...

You quoted raymac...

3 hours ago, securitybreach said:

Neck beards? My beard covers my face, not my neck lol

Just a loose synonym for nerds. You are definitely one of those. 🙃

securitybreach
34 minutes ago, sunrat said:

You quoted raymac...

Just a loose synonym for nerds. You are definitely one of those. 🙃

It's pronounced Geek. Nerds are awkward and have no social skills. Geeks are just passionate about something. You can be a car geek,  arts and craft geek, scifi geek anime geek, etc etc. I just happen to be a computer/mechanical keyboard/phone/gun geek. 

Modern Geek Definition: A person with an intense interest in one or more subjects. A geek will have encyclopedic knowledge about these topics and may be an avid collector of tech or memorabilia related to the areas of concern.

Modern Nerd Definition: An intellectual who is focused on learning all there is to know about one or more topics and mastering the skills of the discipline. Some would say a nerd is a geek who either lacks social skills or else simply prefers solitary pursuits.

https://www.thoughtco.com/difference-between-geeks-and-nerds-609445

• Agree 1

securitybreach

Well when I was a kid, they were kind of interchangeable but that has long changed when nerdy stuff became popular with your average joe.

I like to describe myself as 50% hippy, 50% bogan, 50% nerd, and 0% mathematician. 🙃

Note to non-Aussies, bogan is a bit like a redneck but often also found in cities. We don't use guns as toys in Australia though.

• Haha 2

V.T. Eric Layton

Back in my high school daze, just a while after the ark made landfall on Ararat, we used to call nerdy types "Poindexters". Here's a pic of one...

poindexter-340x324.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Also, back in my day, geeks were usually found at circus and carnival sideshows. They were displayed in cages, usually, and were often seen eating live chickens or biting the heads of bats, lizards, etc.

geek.jpg

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, securitybreach said:

That's because they were taken away from you. I just like to go shooting at the range or out in the country as its very fun.

We do have sports shooting and other legitimate ownership like farmers, in fact there's a large gun shop 10 minutes walk from my place. Owners need a licence. We aren't allowed to carry assault rifles to our houses of government and don't have kids getting killed at schools though.

We didn't have guns "taken away from us" but rather we have sensible, responsible gun ownership. There are criminals and nutjobs everywhere of course who manage to get guns for evil purposes but it's very hard to do here.

Sorry my original statement was a throwaway line but you hit a nerve with your reply. 😒 I've been out shooting on friends' farms and it is fun so I agree with you there.

Anyway this is totally OT so I will say no more.

• Agree 1

On 2/16/2021 at 10:04 PM, sunrat said:

Vim may be the best editor for neckbeards, but nano is fine for us mere plebs.

Modern day artistic plebs use micro 😜

I like to describe myself as 100% Hedonist but if annoyed I can go barbarian 😄

On 2/16/2021 at 11:20 AM, securitybreach said:

And GNOME is the worst DE. Oh, wait, I just did a fresh Bullseye ("testing") installation (the dreaded systemd!) a couple of days ago, and I went with... GNOME!!! Also, too lazy to learn to use vim, so I go with nano. (I hear the sound of switchblades clicking open.)

11 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

I liked Gnome back in the 2.x branch days but it's been i3wm for about a decade on all my machines.

Yep, and that's how it goes. GNOME 2 wasn't a favorite of mine; I like GNOME 3 a lot better. And I enjoy a variety of DEs and WMs; I don't think I could stick with just one! Different strokes and all that, when it comes to Linux users! I've also had Devuan installed here, and antiX and MX, but I prefer Debian over any of those. I'm no anti-systemd person, but I'm glad we have options available for anyone who is.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Modern day artistic plebs use micro 😜

I like to describe myself as 100% Hedonist but if annoyed I can go barbarian 😄

If anyone here is 100% Hedonist, it's me.....come to the light Brother Barbarian!  😜

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton

My first experience with Linux and desktop managers was, of course, Gnome (in Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper Drake). I loved its simplicity. Unfortunately, very soon after that, I settled on Slackware as my main OS and Gnome wasn't an option. I had tried the Gnome variant available for Slackware, but development on that died, so it was KDE from then till v4.x. After dumping KDE, I went to Xfce and REALLY liked it because of its simplicity and similarity to Gnome 2. And there I am...

• +1 1

My wife is down at my daughter's home right now and she took the Thinkpad with her. It has Debian with GNOME 3 on it. I think vanilla GNOME is a little too gnarly for her liking so I added a Dash to Dock extension so she can launch Firefox easily. It seems to work OK for her.

Edited by raymac46
  • +1 1