Ad Blocking using a Raspberry Pi

wa4chq

Good morning all.  I enjoy toying with Rasberry Pi's.  Nothing major but simple things for my simple mind.  I've been seeing Pi-hole mentioned a lot lately and started looking at it a little closer.  In a nutshell, it's an ad blocker.  I won't try and explain it because it won't make sense if I do, so here are a few links for you to check out if you want.

https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-pi-hole/

https://pi-hole.net/

I had a spare pi sitting around and decided to give it a try.  At first, I could not get my Netgear router configured right.  It was very frustrating until I found a post from someone who also was having problems setting up his router.  As it turns out, the solution was very simple.  If I can find the link, i'll post it, but most of you guys probably understand networking a lot more than me and won't have issues.

Here are a couple of pix....  if you're like me, you'll end up staring at that thang for hours.....😆

2021-02-12-070353_1366x768_scrot.png

Screenshot_2021-02-12 Pi-hole - rapi.png

• +1 1

7 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

I've been using Pihole for some years now on a RPI 3. It just works.. 

Very cool.  I've gotta RPi zero W on order and I'll be using it instead of the RPi4....  Is it just my imagination or does it really speed things up? 

securitybreach
10 minutes ago, wa4chq said:

Very cool.  I've gotta RPi zero W on order and I'll be using it instead of the RPi4....  Is it just my imagination or does it really speed things up? 

Well it does kill most ads if you have it set up right. :)

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Well all you do is set the dns in your router to the Pi-Hole and that is it. Everything connected to your router is protected 

Yes, that I do know.  But they say your mobile device can be protected on the go.  I'd have to figure out how to access my network/router when I'm driving.  They mention Pi-hole + VPN.  That's getting a bit over my head.  lol

• Like 1

securitybreach
1 hour ago, wa4chq said:

Yes, that I do know.  But they say your mobile device can be protected on the go.  I'd have to figure out how to access my network/router when I'm driving.  They mention Pi-hole + VPN.  That's getting a bit over my head.  lol

There is another thing you can do on mobile devices. If you have a fairly up to date phone, go into Settings - Wi-fi & Network -- Private DNS. Change that to Private DNS provider hostname and use dns.adguard.com

20 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

There is another thing you can do on mobile devices. If you have a fairly up to date phone, go into Settings - Wi-fi & Network -- Private DNS. Change that to Private DNS provider hostname and use dns.adguard.com

Sounds good!  I just enabled it on my phone.  Tnx

• Like 1

My Raspberry Pi Zero W arrived this morning.  Boy that thing is tiny compared to the regular pi.  Took the RPi4 offline and now have the zero doing the work. 

zero.jpg.3c2c3d5471d687d200e2d17e35307a4a.jpg

Screenshot_2021-02-13 Pi-hole - pi-hole.png

pizero.jpg

Edited by wa4chq
  • Like 1