Just Curious

raymac46

How full would you let an SSD get before worrying about it? I have a 480 GB SSD, system drive partition with 430GB and it has about 350 GB in use right now. I don't save photos or data on it - just programs and some games. It seems to be OK and if I buy a new SSD it won't be a better performer as my old desktop only supports SATA3 - no NVME.

Edited by raymac46

I'll keep an eye on things, thanks. It's hard to add a lot of additional drives because I only have 2 SATA3 ports in my old desktop. Rather than buy more SSDs I'd rather put the money into a new system that supports NVME.

• Agree 1

Cheap and cheerful and certainly fast enough for storage and even light gaming. Depends on the game though.

StarTech 1 Port eSATA + 1 Port SATA PCI SATA Controller Card

plus

ADATA SU630 240GB 3D-NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD

You could probably find stuff even cheaper or better stuff for the same price. Depends on your motherboard and available slots. I run my nvme of a PCI-Express add-on card that cost less than £20 and it has worked just fine foe five years. 😎

securitybreach

Yeah, that depends on the partition type's requirements and how low the system requirements are. I know windows will not let you log in if you fill up a drive but linux will (I've filled up / before due to a drive not being mounted).

• 2 weeks later...

I got a good deal on an ADATA SU800 1TB drive so I picked one up. It's now in place and working well. I have another 500 GB of capacity. I had to clone the old drive, install the new one, reset the BIOS and reconfigure the boot order but all is well now.

• Like 2

This is the dektop my wife uses all the time. She freaks out if there's the slightest glitch, or it isn't blazing fast. It took a while but everything is OK now and I do have the extra capacity. I'll probably use the old SSD in an external drive enclosure for backups.

• 2 weeks later...

After a couple of weeks I am still doing OK with the new ADATA 1 TB drive. Not a big difference in performance but it is nice to have the extra capacity and not worry about over filling the SSD.

securitybreach
3 hours ago, raymac46 said:

After a couple of weeks I am still doing OK with the new ADATA 1 TB drive. Not a big difference in performance but it is nice to have the extra capacity and not worry about over filling the SSD.

Nice. SSDs really improve the performance. :thumbsup:

Hello,

My rule is about is about two-thirds to three-quarters full depending upon how write-intensive the use is for the drive. 

Because it is still a new technology relative to conventional hard disk drives, SSDs can fail in unpredictable ways so it is a good idea to ensure any valuable data you have stored on them is backed up elsewhere (hard disk drives, etc.).

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Thanks 1

Thank you, Aryeh. I was at over 80% on my older 480GB SSD and now with the 1 TB drive I am around 38% of capacity. This feels much more comforting. I wouldn't get anything less than 1 TB today given the pricing.

I keep only the O/S and games on the SSD. My data files are on an HDD (1TB.) Even with all my photos I still have plenty of capacity and I've got backups of everything on another 1 TB HDD.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes I think if I was upgrading the mobo etc. I would go for a 2 TB NVME and that would be fine for some time. I don't store a lot of movies or large video files as I am mostly a still photographer.

Edited by raymac46