wow, tucows no longer sharing

crp

25 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

I gurss you'll have to go to Download.com for your bloatware fix now.

Bloatware and PUPs. I thought BonziBuddy was really cool when I first used a computer, until I found out what it did in the background. Many of those sites were just PUP distribution centres; Tucows, Major Geeks, Download.com, FileHippo, Softonic, Snapfiles, ZDNet Downloads etc.

These days I look for an open source program to do anything I need on Windows rather than download sites. Tixati is a good one, and SumatraPDF Reader. It's pretty rare I install anything but games on Win these days as almost everything can be done in Linux with less worry about nasties under the hood.

V.T. Eric Layton

So, to get just a bit controversial here and have Josh delete this post and give me a warning, but...

On 1/26/2021 at 8:21 PM, sunrat said:

I thought BonziBuddy was really cool when I first used a computer, until I found out what it did in the background.

Is their sin any worse that than what Google, Facebook, many major ISPs, etc. are doing these days... and for many years past?

Edit: word correction ~Eric

I take exception to Major Geeks mentioned as a PUP distribution center/centre.

I agree on the others and avoid downloading from the other sites but I do download clean files from Major Geeks.

If you have a problem with any download at MajorGeeks Jim or Tim wants to know about it. https://www.majorgeeks.com/content/page/aboutcontact_us.html

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Back in my Windows days, I utilized the services of Major Geeks quite often. I never had any issues with anything I downloaded from that site. I can't speak for current times, of course, but I'd trust @zlim's feelings on it.

• Like 1
  • +1 1