Removing unwanted fonts in Gimp

wa4chq

Greetings.  This may be common knowledge but I'll pass it on anyway.  I enjoy using Gimp but when I wanna add some text to a project I'm working on, I hate having to scroll through a lot of fonts I'll never use.  Turns out, the default fonts are system-wide and not Gimps.  To remove the ones I didn't want, I had to first become root.  From there I had to go into

/usr/share/fonts/truetype

and select the folder that contained the unwanted fonts.  I used Ranger to manage this.  To make sure I didn't do something I'd regret, I renamed the folder, saved it away then deleted the original.  Once done, I rebooted and opened up Gimp.  I looked through my fonts and the unwanted ones were gone!  BTW, the folder with those fonts is called "noto".  Now to download more cool fonts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My truetype fonts directory is just over 500MB and 450MB of that is Noto (and there is 250MB of opentype Noto fonts). I use Noto Sans as the default system font. The best reason to not remove it is it contains fonts for a vast range of languages so I can visit websites or read documents from most countries and have them display correctly.

KDE Plasma System Settings has a nice font manager which allows you to view all fonts and delete any you don't want easily.

13 hours ago, abarbarian said:

I find trying to change or set up a font to use very very confusing. :fish:

I was only doing this for Gimp.  I hate scrolling through 2000 different fonts...1790 being foreign and useless for my art.  As far as setting up font for the OS, that shouldn't be too difficult.

22 hours ago, wa4chq said:

I was only doing this for Gimp.  I hate scrolling through 2000 different fonts...1790 being foreign and useless for my art.  As far as setting up font for the OS, that shouldn't be too difficult.

You think ! I spent half of the morning successfully not getting sound to work on me fresh Arch install. 🙄

• Confused 1

V.T. Eric Layton
16 hours ago, abarbarian said:

I spent half of the morning successfully not getting sound to work on me fresh Arch install.

And what, exactly, does sound have to do with fonts. Do you listen to your letters? I normally just read mine. ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

And what, exactly, does sound have to do with fonts. Do you listen to your letters? I normally just read mine. ;)

Nothing whatsoever I am just following the grand tradition here of skewing threads of course 😝

1 hour ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

@abarbarian, you seem to have forgotten your motto:

Install archinux!

You'll never need to install it again. I did and I'm really happy!

Yeah I wrote that when I was young and foolish :hysterical:

1 hour ago, crp said:

Funnily enough crp I was going to post this today,

MuseScore Created New Font in Memory of Original SCORE Program Creator

Way back when I was just starting out with the penguins I used Knoppix on a usb stick. A blind friend bemoaned  the high cost of commercial music score programs to me one day whilst I was giving him a lift. He said he could not afford the £400 for a commercial program which he would like to buy for his wife and daughter. I found out about MuseScore and installed a copy on a usb running Knoppix and gave it to him. It blew him away to find that he could have for free a program that was almost as good as the commercial £400 one. 😎

securitybreach

BTW I have been using linux since the early 2000 and I do not think I have ever removed a font in all that time. I understand the reasoning on the thread but its just something that I have never had to do. I have added a font before but that as years ago.

• Agree 1

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Nothing whatsoever I am just following the grand tradition here of skewing threads of course 😝

Ah... IC. Good job! :)

2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Yeah I wrote that when I was young and foolish :hysterical:

HA! Yes... I know that feeling. ;)

• +1 1

V.T. Eric Layton
2 hours ago, securitybreach said:

I do not think I have ever removed a font in all that time.

Oh, I do it all the time. Slackware comes with some atrocious fonts like Serto and Estrangelo, etc. I usually remove those right away. I'll never use any of them.

• Agree 1

securitybreach
31 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Oh, I do it all the time. Slackware comes with some atrocious fonts like Serto and Estrangelo, etc. I usually remove those right away. I'll never use any of them.

Well Arch doesn't install a bunch of fonts, you generally only get what comes with the application unless you install more.