Uses for an old pc...

wa4chq

Uses for an old PC

It's hard to say what I'd do with an old PC after finishing the house.  I have my old tower I built years ago from bits and pieces and new stuff from NewEgg and another recent acquisition from my brother.  The company he works for got new stuff.  I think most likely they will reside in the room that will be my Ham Radio Shack.  I will use the one I built for Amateur Radio Digital modes.  I installed a HD switch and I know I have 2 HD's in it.  So ham radio and maybe games.  That leaves the other one...  Using it for a music server is an option but I'm using my Raspberry Pi for that.  Using it for storage maybe?  Well I'm also using a Rpi for that.  So maybe I could use it for video editing?  I like doing that, so maybe that's what I'll use it for.  Then there's the laptops....  Dang, I forgot about them!  Maybe I should have built another room....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • +1 1

43 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Nah, using it for HAM stuff.

It really is.  Back in the day doing things like RTTY (teletype) or SSTV (slow scan tv) was very costly and bulky.  Now, beside the radio you use a computer with a sound card and software.  If no sound card, a simple interface. 

• +1 1