Linux Mint 20.1

raymac46

I have just upgraded to Linux Mint 20.1 (Ulyssa) on my main Linux desktop. I used the in-place upgrade method to avoid the need to reconfigure my hard drive setup with my SSD. Everything went seamlessly and I am now using Linux Mint 20.1

I'll report later if I encounter any glitches or see any noticeable improvements.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • +1 3

securitybreach

Well you can run a server on pretty much any distro but mint wont have some of the enterprise tools that Cent has. You can run email, web, ftp, etc servers on basically any distro out there though.

I haven't run Linux Mint in a very long time, but I remain very impressed by this project. I think that maybe I appreciate it now more than before, realizing how important it was for me as one of the distros I was using early on after I started running Linux. I'll probably download Linux Mint 20.1 just to test it out on one particular laptop of mine. I see good things being said about Mint's out-of-the-box hardware support in the DistroWatch comments section this week.

securitybreach
26 minutes ago, saturnian said:

I haven't run Linux Mint in a very long time, but I remain very impressed by this project. I think that maybe I appreciate it now more than before, realizing how important it was for me as one of the distros I was using early on after I started running Linux. I'll probably download Linux Mint 20.1 just to test it out on one particular laptop of mine. I see good things being said about Mint's out-of-the-box hardware support in the DistroWatch comments section this week.

Now, LinuxMint is a great distro that I have been suggesting to people for years. I have a couple of coworkers who I helped them install LinuxMint years ago and none of them have asked me about anything since.

I have said this many times, but the reason I run Linux Mint is that the desktop looks a lot like Windows 7, and other people who use it besides me do not have any problems doing what they want with it. Also it's good for my grandkids who have school remote learning PCs running Linux.

As for server use I think Debian might be a bettter bet if you want to dabble in the APT universe.

Edited by raymac46
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

I have said this many times, but the reason I run Linux Mint is that the desktop looks a lot like Windows 7, and other people who use it besides me do not have any problems doing what they want with it. Also it's good for my grandkids who have school remote learning PCs running Linux.

As for server use I think Debian might be a bettter bet if you want to dabble in the APT universe.

There are "severs" and then there are "SERVERS".  I've hosted both a FTP and WordPress website on a RPi 2B.  Of course the traffic was very light, but it still handled triple key word SQL searches of a 50,000 entry DB.

• +1 1

On 1/13/2021 at 8:06 AM, Bookmem said:

There are "severs" and then there are "SERVERS".  I've hosted both a FTP and WordPress website on a RPi 2B.  Of course the traffic was very light, but it still handled triple key word SQL searches of a 50,000 entry DB.

I need SERVER to migrate our CentOS8 to.

11 hours ago, crp said:

I need SERVER to migrate our CentOS8 to.

I'm not very versed in servers, as I don't have a need and don't use them, but I do read a LOT; and I have read that there are several distros "on the way" to fill the CentOS void.  I wonder if any of them would suit your needs:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/cloudlinux-readies-centos-linux-replacement-almalinux/

https://itsfoss.com/rhel-based-server-distributions/

• +1 1

securitybreach

Any linux distro can be a server. A server is simply a machine that is running some software that serves. You can run a webserver off of a raspberry pi or a full HP Proliant blade, the only thing that matters is the machine's performance and if it can handle the load. For instance, I run archlinux on my servers but use the LTS kernel and only install major versions 5.xx not 5.xx.xx. so I do not have to reboot as much but that is because I chose to run mine on a rolling distro. Distros like CentOS, Debian, RedHat, Slackware, etc. do not update as frequently so they are better fits for most people who want to run a server. But even ubuntu offers a version with servers included.

• +1 1

On 1/15/2021 at 10:33 AM, securitybreach said:

Any linux distro can be a server. A server is simply a machine that is running some software that serves. You can run a webserver off of a raspberry pi or a full HP Proliant blade, the only thing that matters is the machine's performance and if it can handle the load. For instance, I run archlinux on my servers but use the LTS kernel and only install major versions 5.xx not 5.xx.xx. so I do not have to reboot as much but that is because I chose to run mine on a rolling distro. Distros like CentOS, Debian, RedHat, Slackware, etc. do not update as frequently so they are better fits for most people who want to run a server. But even ubuntu offers a version with servers included.

I DO run a server for my movies and music.  I have a GorillaBox computer with a heavily customized Lubuntu distro, dedicated for the sole purposes of dvd/cd ripping and serving content.  Installed software for those purposes includes Banshee, Handbrake, VLC, KODI, and PIA vpn.  This box uses KODI as the "master server" software throughout my house.  It serves content to a LibreELEC settop box, a settop NUC with the same software as the Gorilla, 2 Roku devices, and Android tablets with MediaHouse installed.  Very pleased with the setup.  100% freeware, does everything I want it to in a reliable manner, and flexible enough to do other stuff if I want.

But that is 100% of my experience with servers.  I just told you EVERYTHING i know!  LOL!

• Agree 1

Finally downloaded Linux Mint 20.1 (Xfce edition), copied the iso to a flash drive, and booted up a couple of laptops with it. Looks like an excellent live session, and I thought both laptops booted up rather quickly with it. I'll take a close look at things later.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton
3 hours ago, securitybreach said:

you don't need a "Server Distro" to run servers.

YES YOU DO, Hedon. Don't let him fool you. You need SLACKWARE for servers. ;)

securitybreach
45 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Well Slackware doesn't provide enough prebuilt binaries and dependency h311. ;)

Wow, what a sweet-looking distro! I spent some more time with Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce today, in another live session, on a third laptop. Very impressed. The live session is one of the nicest I've seen. I've only looked at the Xfce version. The release has a comforting feel to it. It's easy to use, out of the box.

• +1 1

securitybreach
Just now, saturnian said:

Wow, what a sweet-looking distro! I spent some more time with Linux Mint 20.1 Xfce today, in another live session, on a third laptop. Very impressed. The live session is one of the nicest I've seen. I've only looked at the Xfce version. The release has a comforting feel to it. It's easy to use, out of the box.

Sounds nice. I may give it a go so I can honestly suggest it to new penguins :thumbsup:

18 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I must admit that the lack of constant updates sounds enticing.  😆

• Haha 1
  • +1 1

securitybreach
1 hour ago, Hedon James said:

I must admit that the lack of constant updates sounds enticing.  😆

Just run Debian Stable and you wont have to update for years.

1 hour ago, securitybreach said:

Just run Debian Stable and you wont have to update for years.

Debian stable is supported for 5 years, I'm told.  Currently running Debian Buster (10) on my main machine, with plans to migrate all my Lubuntu machines to Debian Stable when the Lubuntu support ends.  I hate re-installing OSes.

I like all my OSes to be homogeneous, for ease of troubleshooting and commands, and it's nice to know the idiosyncracies of ONE distro on all my machines.  But I'm contemplating Arch or Manjaro for my main production machine so I don't have to ever reinstall the OS again.  It'd be nice to have all my machines the same, but it's not practical for me to keep 3 desktops, a NUC, and a laptop all updated with the same rolling distro.  So stable LTS is my cross to bear.  I WANT option C, but A &B are the only options available.  For now...

V.T. Eric Layton
4 hours ago, Hedon James said:

It'd be nice to have all my machines the same

You can do that easily with MS WIndows. ;)

20 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

You can do that easily with MS WIndows. ;)

you musta missed the "customized" part of the discussion?  😎

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Hedon James said:

But I'm contemplating Arch or Manjaro for my main production machine

Why on earth would you even contemplate Manjaro ? If you take a bit of time and take it step by step you can install just the programs you need on a Arch install that will be as stable as the Rock of Gibralter.

If you install Manjaro you will get a load of crud that is of no use to you and you will be relying on programs that have been fiddled with by the Manjaro devs to fit in with their ideas.

On a Arch build you will get the programs unaltered and as they were created by their original developers.

Just saying is all.😎

• +1 1

7 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

If you install Manjaro you will get a load of crud that is of no use to you and you will be relying on programs that have been fiddled with by the Manjaro devs to fit in with their ideas.

That would be true for all prebuilt, ready-to-go distros including Mint and even siduction to a tiny extent. It's a main reason I don't use MX any more. Debian netinstall is similar to Arch in that you can start with the basic packages needed to run and personalise it as much as you like.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, sunrat said:

That would be true for all prebuilt, ready-to-go distros including Mint and even siduction to a tiny extent. It's a main reason I don't use MX any more. Debian netinstall is similar to Arch in that you can start with the basic packages needed to run and personalise it as much as you like.

That is so true. There is nothing wrong with pre-builts and theses days there are some pretty slick reliable ones around. Me I just like personalising most everything I own, making it fit me. 😋

• Agree 1