CHOWN is my friend

wa4chq

Greetings all.  Trust everyone had a Merry Christmas.  I've been busy with my house project and haven't posted in a long time, but I have been "reading the mail". 

Lately, I've been messing with Raspberry Pi's.  I have several and another on the way.  I have one with Piaware installed for spotting and reporting data on airplanes in my area.  I have another Pi set up with RasPlex so I can listen to my tunes thru a cheap-o set of wireless speakers.  Early the other morning I was thinking what to do with pi #3..... I thought maybe something like a file server would be something I would hardly use but would be fun to mess with at 4:30am.  While in that thought mode I ran across something else foreign to me called "SAMBA".  I decided to look into that more.  Now instead of me messing with pi, I ended up messing(up) with SAMBA.  Did I mention CHOWN is my friend?  I forgot to mention that lately I've been using MX linux.  So after performing many sudo apt-get install's, I decided I needed to go back to bed.  So I shutdown and hit the rack.  When I got up again and tried to log in, it wouldn't let me!  The only way was as root.  To make a long story short, somewhere in the Samba install process, it changed my user ownership to root.  Everything in my home directory and sub-directories were now owned by root.  So I started doing a little research.  I remembered 'chown' but have only used it for changing something minor, like a folder with pictures.  But would chown change everything recursivley in my home directory back to normal?  It did! 

sudo chown -R [user]:[group] [path, directory name]

I know it wasn't the end of the world but I'm glad things are back to normal.  And what a simple fix!  

Take care everyone.

• Agree 1
  • +1 3

securitybreach

I am very surprised that you have not heard of SAMBA before. SAMBA is the industry standard application when sharing files between linux and windows systems. It has been around since 1992 and is very widely used. The name comes from window's SMB (server message block) network filesystem protocol. You should read up on it as it is a very good protocol for interoperability. I do not use it as I do not have any window's machines at home but I know that some of the network guys at work use it frequently. 

4 hours ago, securitybreach said:

I am very surprised that you have not heard of SAMBA before.  I do not use it as I do not have any window's machines at home

Hey SB.  I have heard of it but I didn't know what it was......I was going to use it between my Linux laptop and RPi, which is also Linux.  But that's all history now.  When following the article, I was doing a lot of cutting and pasting.  That's how the ownership got messed up. 

• +1 1

Yes, I have used sshfs between laptop and rpi....  I learned that when I first started to use ssh a few years ago.  I never had a need for it before getting into Raspberry Pi....   

• +1 1

It is cool running a 'headless' RPi and being able to control it's desktop on my laptop.  I recently got set up with internet here at the house project.....Atlantic Broadband.  It's been great not having to go to the library to use wifi.  And doing more things with Pi from my house has been great.  I still don't know all the things you can do with ssh.  Oh, the next thing I need to get going is my printer.  Gotta clean the head and buy ink.  Then I can start printing out Linux stuff and put the info in a folder.   

• +1 1

15 hours ago, wa4chq said:

It is cool running a 'headless' RPi and being able to control it's desktop on my laptop.  I recently got set up with internet here at the house project.....Atlantic Broadband.  It's been great not having to go to the library to use wifi.  And doing more things with Pi from my house has been great.  I still don't know all the things you can do with ssh.  Oh, the next thing I need to get going is my printer.  Gotta clean the head and buy ink.  Then I can start printing out Linux stuff and put the info in a folder.   

OR....you can just print to PDF, and then use "pdfmod" GUI (or similar program) to assemble the PDFs into a single linux document, and add bookmarks etc... to topics of specific interest.  At the very least, just print to PDF and place in a "Linux Folder" on your machine.  Inkjets are on the way out, FWIW.  Might as well look to the horizon, rather than over your shoulder?!  😉

• Agree 1

Hey Hedon James.  Thanks for the input.  That certainly is an option.  Saves paper and ink.  The only issue for me is sometimes reading pdf's is difficult.  Maybe it's because I'm using the laptop and not something with a larger screen.  The other issue is I like to be able to skip back and forth thru real pages.....I guess it's kinda like the Kindle folks vs. holding the real book folks.  I'm sorta in between the two.  I will certainly give a try.

I just gave it a try.  It might not be as bad as I thought.  I had bookmarked a site that explained how to make playlists when using RasPlex, a plex music server using a raspberry pi.  So I went ahead did print to pdf and opened it in xpdf and it wasn't bad reading it. 

Thanks again!

• Agree 1
  • +1 1

On 12/28/2020 at 12:55 PM, wa4chq said:

lately I've been using MX linux

Ha I had to use chown for a similar purpose recently.

Did you know that MX has a program that allows you to chroot into another os. I tried to use it when trying to fix my Arch that I was swapping from one nvme ssd to a larger one. At the time I could not get it to do what I wanted but that was down to my ignorance of the dark arts. 😎

19 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Ha I had to use chown for a similar purpose recently.

Did you know that MX has a program that allows you to chroot into another os. I tried to use it when trying to fix my Arch that I was swapping from one nvme ssd to a larger one. At the time I could not get it to do what I wanted but that was down to my ignorance of the dark arts. 😎

Good morning abarbarian.....tnx for the info.  I did not know that.  There is a lot I don't know...lol.  I just googled chroot so now I have to see if I can understand it.... 🧐  I'm using I3wm so I don't see a lot of things included with MX19.  I used dmenu and saw "ischroot"..... is this what you are talking about?  I can see myself getting into deepdoo using it...lol

Edited by wa4chq

@wa4chq I find it at: bottom left of screen,open menu>MXTOOLS>Chroot Rescue Scan. I am using MX-19 live at the moment as I have a problem with Arch 😎

• Like 1

On 1/2/2021 at 2:08 PM, securitybreach said:

BTW, Arch already comes with chroot on the ISO so why use another tool?

On my last fight with gremlins I did use the Arch .iso. This time around neither option was of any use.

One reason fro mentioning the MX Chroot tool was for general information for folks who did not know it existed. One reason for using it is that it allows you to chroot and still be able to access the internet for all those helpful hints that folk like me need. 😎

• +1 1

On 1/2/2021 at 9:06 AM, abarbarian said:

@wa4chq I find it at: bottom left of screen,open menu>MXTOOLS>Chroot Rescue Scan. I am using MX-19 live at the moment as I have a problem with Arch 😎

Yes, also saw chroot in dmenu.....but is the one you mentioned in the "normal" MX menu gui-based?  I'll have to switch window managers and take a look.

OK...switched over to XFCE and I saw Mx-tools and saw Mx-usermanager.  You can change ownership of groups with it.  I didn't see Chroot rescue scan.....  I'll have to look again.  It's nice to have several options of doing things so I appreciate the info

sudo chown -R [user]:[group] [path, directory name]

but ^^^ was pretty fast  😀

• +1 1

On 1/2/2021 at 2:06 PM, abarbarian said:

@wa4chq I find it at: bottom left of screen,open menu>MXTOOLS>Chroot Rescue Scan.

That is where I find it in the live MX.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
abarbarian

Thought hits snippet of information would be a useful addition to this thread,

https://github.com/teejee2008/groot

Groot Simplifies Entering Chroot On Any Linux Distribution

Groot simplified chroot utility

Groot is a helper tool which simplifies the chroot operation. It is based on the arch-chroot script available for Arch Linux, and it can be used on any Linux distribution.

Chroot is an operation that changes the apparent root directory for the current running process and its children. It's especially useful for installing and updating packages on systems that cannot boot, for example reinstalling the GRUB bootloader (or some other bootloader), removing, downgrading or upgrading some package that breaks the boot process, and so on. Chroot is also useful for testing and development, and more.

This is what Groot does:

• it automatically mounts and unmounts /dev, /run, /proc, /sys and other system directories
  • it enables Internet connection sharing, so you can run commands that require Internet access from the chroot session
  • it enables display sharing so you can run graphical applications that are installed on the chrooted system

Looks like a neat and useful tool.

😎

• +1 1

securitybreach

Neat but it is just basically automating the commands you run to get chroot. It is just saving you from typing the commands. That said, the planned features sound good:

• Repairing boot issues on BIOS and EFI systems
  • Re-install GRUB, rebuild initramfs, update grub menu, etc

V.T. Eric Layton

Ah, yes... chown. Lovely command! :)

root@ericsbane07/home/vtel57:# chown -R /home/Florida_Lottery/Jackpot!

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Thought hits snippet of information would be a useful addition to this thread,

https://github.com/teejee2008/groot

Looks quite useful for those special occasions. I had to look up the internet to find chroot instructions the 2 times I ever needed to use it.

• Agree 1

abarbarian
10 hours ago, sunrat said:

Looks quite useful for those special occasions. I had to look up the internet to find chroot instructions the 2 times I ever needed to use it.

Yup I always need to look up the instructions too. 😎

abarbarian
13 hours ago, securitybreach said:

That said, the planned features sound good:

Good for inclusion in a museum. Why on earth are folks still promoting a dinasour like Grub in this modern age ? For goodness sake they have simplified the partitioning with GPT  it is about time to get with the program and use a simple boot system like REFind or some other EFI boot system. 😜

18 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Good for inclusion in a museum. Why on earth are folks still promoting a dinasour like Grub in this modern age ? For goodness sake they have simplified the partitioning with GPT  it is about time to get with the program and use a simple boot system like REFind or some other EFI boot system. 😜

Something like? -

$ apt list grub-efi
Listing... Done
grub-efi/testing 2.04-17 amd64

🙃

abarbarian
10 minutes ago, sunrat said:

Something like? -

$ apt list grub-efi
Listing... Done
grub-efi/testing 2.04-17 amd64

🙃