One Dead Mouse

raymac46

The Microsoft mouse I use with my main laptop fell apart today. The latch that holds the battery door shut just broke off. The battery door won't stay in place and the battery falls out when I try to mouse around. So I guess the mouse is  a goner.

I have a few other mice around so I'll swap one of them in until I can get a new one from Amazon after Christmas. No point in trying to shop for one in person as we are headed into another retail lockdown here in Ontario.

This is the first time I ever had a mouse pack it in this way. Used to have trouble with the old mechanical rollerball mice but never with an optical one.

Wow, I'm surprised. We have 3 MS mobile mice (optical) which I prefer to Logitech. The on/off switch is easier to work and the battery compartment opens easier on the MS model.  I do have 2 Logitech mobile mice as backups so if something breaks, I don't have to find a replacement immediately. (When I see a good sale, I buy one).

I also buy what's on sale. This time a Logitech looks like the best deal - at least on Amazon Canada. I use both MS and Logitech and they are interchangeable as far as I can see.

No I have owned it for many years. Probably would cost more to ship it back than it is worth.

I got the new Logitech M325 and it's installed and working fine.

• 1 year later...

Well another Microsoft mouse has started to clap out. This time it's an M5000 which is part of my wireless keyboard/mouse setup on my main desktop. This mouse eats batteries so I was never that fond of it anyway. Now the scroll wheel has started to lose its rubber coating so it feels weird and bunches of rubber keep flaking off.

I have splurged and replaced it with a Logitech MX Master 3. It was a bit pricey but wow what a difference. It is rechargeable so no more batteries needed. There is a second thumb scroll wheel which I set to jump between browser tabs. I think I'm a Logitech fanboi now.

Edited by raymac46

I still prefer MS to logitech. I have to use logi on my chromebook, which I'm currently on. It doesn't slide as well on my mouse pads. I've tried several mouse pads until I find one that works the best.

I wouldn't have a preference if the Microsoft mice didn't break on me. I don't have a Chromebook, but I don't understand why a Microsoft mouse wouldn't work with it. Microsoft works well with a couple of Linux machines I have.

All I can tell you is I had no mouse when I tried the MS mobile mouse. And yes, they did work when I tried them on various live linux distros.

• 2 weeks later...
securitybreach

Odd that ChromeOS won't pick up the mouse considering it is just Gentoo and most mice do not require any drivers to function. It's just an input device with a dongle, it should just work on any OS... Google must be doing something screwy there.