Red Hat kills CentOS - where do you go next?

Peachy

This week, Red Hat announced that CentOS is officially dead and CentOS 8 will be EOL mid-2021, not 2029 as originally promised. Red Hat also said the rolling distro CentOS Stream is not its replacement. So, what else can you move to? Here are some alternatives.

• +1 3

1 hour ago, sunrat said:

I see Debian getting some more corporate use from those who are pissed off about this. Of course if you want a distro compatible with CentOS there are options ( 😏 ):- https://centos.rip/

i used Debian more in the office due to it's ease in updating to new versions.

Which CentOS could not do.

This is a bummer, as i just installed CentOS on a new pc to migrate to from a CentOS 5 . {sigh}

In the late summer I was asked to re-host a web site for a playwright to do some research the subject of said site. It was last up in 2014 and so I built a Digital Ocean droplet that was compatible with it, CentOS 6. I got a notice a couple of weeks ago from DO that they will no longer be supporting that version and I had 30 days to migrate it or they would delete it. Hopefully the research is done and I will delete it and make a backup to a Raspberry Pi for archival purposes.

• +1 1

securitybreach

Well I figured that this was coming once Redhat announced that they would be taking over after allowing CentOS to join the Redhat umbrella.  After all it was a clone of their costly Redhat Enterprise, just without the paid support. 

Many web host providers (such as mine) use cPanel for administration. cPanel only works with RHEL, CentOS and Cloud Linux (depends on RHEL/CentOS.) From what I can see my web host provider uses Cloud Linux. I guess they'll have some work to do.

Edited by raymac46