need to transfer some files from host to guest VB

mhbell

Virtualbox I have installed and working in Linux Mint 20 I have a guest which is mint XFCE. It is installed on a virtual drive. I want to transfer a file and a directory from the host (Mint Cinnamon) to the guest (mint xfce) I have the guest extensions installed and Drag and drop enabled in the guest with host to guest enabled. I have tried to drag and drop but it doesn't work for me. I tried copy and paste still don't work. I tried to set up a share folder but must have something wrong as it doesn't work either. Anyone know if it works in Linux Mint 20 as host. How do you do it. any help appreciated.

Mel

• +1 1

Hi , Don't know if this will help,but every once in a while I have a single file to transfer, I use the Google drive to to upload the file on the source and download that file on the destination.

• +1 1

If you have provided a network connection in your guest VM, your guest VM should show up on the network.  Make the directory you're copying FROM shareable, mount in your guest VM (or navigate to the shared directory from within your VM) and copy to the guest.

Thanks everyone for the replys. I will try a couple of them out. I don't like to use the cloud or drop box. I don't feel they are secure enough. I may also try Hedon James suggestion too.

Mel

😃

As long as you can ssh into the VM, you can transfer files with sshfs.

sudo apt install sshfs

mkdir /tmp/share

sshfs user@remote_ip:/remote_folder /tmp/share

copy files to /tmp/share on the local system and they will magically appear in the folder on the remote host.

You can use either terminal or gui file manager copy files in both directions.

securitybreach

Well that would depend on how he setup the network on the VM. For instance, I have mine on virtual networks so they can't see other machines on my network.

securitybreach
1 hour ago, mhbell said:

Thanks everyone for the replys. I will try a couple of them out. I don't like to use the cloud or drop box. I don't feel they are secure enough. I may also try Hedon James suggestion too.

Mel

😃

Pcloud encrypts locally before uploading to their servers.

13 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

Well that would depend on how he setup the network on the VM. For instance, I have mine on virtual networks so they can't see other machines on my network.

true.  mine showed up on the LAN because I set it up that way.  I don't use VB anymore, so I can't confirm, but I think the network setting was "bridged".

Another option for mhbell would be to copy file to a usb/thumb drive, then "capture" that drive to the guest VM and copy where wanted.  Inversely, copy to the usb/thumb drive from the guest VM, "release" the drive to the host.

These are just workarounds though.  Something isn't setup right in mhbells configuration.  If the guest additions are installed (and match the version of VB), you should be able to setup a "shared" folder in the VB settings GUI.

Double check your settings here:

https://www.virtualbox.org/manual/ch04.html

Edited by Hedon James
  • Agree 1

securitybreach
27 minutes ago, jolphil said:

I do like this forum because ALL want to help and chip in wherever they can. Also thanks to the moderators for their efforts here.😎

jolphil

Thanks, we appreciate it :thumbup: