Built for Comfort and Not for Speed

raymac46

After a few weeks with a mesh router system I am really pleased with how it works for me. I don't think it's for everyone though. You probably would not want/need a mesh system if:

• You are getting solid performance - no dead spots or dropouts - from your current router/gateway.
  • You have gigabit Internet coming in and you want to stream it to your devices.
  • You have a relatively small space or a single floor to cover with wifi - especially if your router is centrally located.
  • You have good wired Ethernet access throughout your domicile.
  • You have a need for speed on your LAN - local server or NAS system.
  • You don't have a bunch of devices competing to connect to wifi.
  • You don't want to spend $$$ on your router setup.

The one problem a mesh system solves is getting good wifi signals throughout your home. Speeds are good but not great. Reliability is excellent. That works for me, especially with the menagerie of devices I have around here.

• +1 1

1 hour ago, securitybreach said:

Why would that affect gigabit internet? Could you not get a gigabit mesh network instead?

No wifi mesh network can give those types of speeds unless you connect the mesh nodes with Ethernet. Some speed is lost through the backhaul connection between the nodes.

I have a weird home with main floor and basement, the router at one end of the house, and a living room at the other end around a corner and shielded by a wall of appliances. In addition my TV was on the extreme opposite corner of the house, so streaming was tricky. The mesh ends up solving all my connection problems and gives me a buffer-free Netflix experience.

securitybreach
16 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

No wifi mesh network can give those types of speeds unless you connect the mesh nodes with Ethernet. Some speed is lost through the backhaul connection between the nodes.

Here are some that offer wireless at 2,500 Mbps and another at 1,300 Mbps:   https://www.omnicoreagency.com/best-wifi-mesh-network-systems/

Well you can't really get those speeds in real life. My router is supposed to be 2.2 GHz but that adds up all the separate bands. I have seen some speeds around 900 Mbps on the LAN with certain mesh systems when you connect the nodes via ethernet.

I have 300 MBps at the modem and I get close to that on wired connection to my desktop. Normal speeds on the wifi are from 60-120 Mbps. That is pretty good given that it is very reliable.

• +1 1