Amazon Fire HD 10 (2019)

Bookmem

As an old retired computer consultant, I spend a lot of time buying, restoring and selling computer stuff.  I install so many custom ROMs on tablets that I have to have Amazon purge the list of devices for my Kindle Unlimited account.  Each time you install a ROM that requires a data wipe, it thinks it is a new device and adds it to the list.  Right now I have a Samsung Tab A 2019, a Samsung S5e 10" tablet and a Fire HD 10 2019.  I bought the Fire HD on a whim because it was selling for about $100, brand new and shipping included.  Amazon sells these so cheap because they are tied so tightly to the co.  Turns out, if you know how to get rid of the Amazon apps and install the Google Play Store, the HD 10 is an excellent buy.  The battery life in particular, is exceptional.  I streamed the Sunday Night Football game, including the pre-game show, about 4hrs worth, and still had 70% battery left.  15 to 20 hrs of regular use, is typical.  My Samsungs only get about 10.  The way to turn it from an Amazon buying device, into a regular Android tablet, is to use the Fire Toobox V9.2 found in the XDA Developer's Forum, to disable all of the Amazon bloat and install the Google Services and Play Store.  

I was looking to buy a 10" Kindle at BestBuy because it was $80. I wasn't sure I could install googleplay on it so I passed on the purchase. I do have three other tablets (on currently stuck in fastboot so it is unusable) so it wasn't really that I needed it.

I don't want to be tied to only the Kindle apps. I did copy instructions I found but wasn't sure they would work. Have you done this?

If so and I see it "dirt cheap" again, I'll buy one and ask for a walk through to turn it into a 'droid tablet.

3 hours ago, zlim said:

I was looking to buy a 10" Kindle at BestBuy because it was $80. I wasn't sure I could install googleplay on it so I passed on the purchase. I do have three other tablets (on currently stuck in fastboot so it is unusable) so it wasn't really that I needed it.

I don't want to be tied to only the Kindle apps. I did copy instructions I found but wasn't sure they would work. Have you done this?

If so and I see it "dirt cheap" again, I'll buy one and ask for a walk through to turn it into a 'droid tablet.

As I said, you can use the Toolbox Windows app to disable just about all of the Amazon apps and install Google Services and Play Store.  I've done it on mine and it now works like a regular Android 9 tablet.  BTW, what model tablet do you have "stuck in fastboot"?  I may be able to tell you how to fix it.

12 minutes ago, crp said:

Are you sure it was a Fire10 HD from last year? that is not on the list for firetoolbox.

Yes, I'm sure.  I have it and it is listed. It just doesn't say HD but it IS the right tablet.

Compatibility:

• Amazon Fire 8/8+ (2020).
  • Amazon Fire 10 (2019).  This is the tablet and it is listed.
  • Amazon Fire 7 (2019).
  • Amazon Fire 8 (2018).
  • Amazon Fire 10 (2017).
  • Amazon Fire 8 (2017).
  • Amazon Fire 7 (2017).
  • Amazon Fire HD8 (2016).
  • Amazon Fire HD10 (2015)
  • Amazon Fire HD8 (2015).
  • Amazon Fire HD7 (2015).
  • Amazon Fire HD7 (2014).
  • Amazon Fire HD6 (2014).

Edited by Bookmem

Thanks. I just ordered a white one. I see it has twice the storage of my Samsung 10" Tab A which I love and it also has a micro sd slot.

Now to see if I can get googleplay on it.

20 hours ago, zlim said:

Thanks. I just ordered a white one. I see it has twice the storage of my Samsung 10" Tab A which I love and it also has a micro sd slot.

Now to see if I can get googleplay on it.

Getting google stuff is easy using the Windows Toolbox app I sited.  I have two Samsung tablets, an S5e and a Tab A 10" 2019.  I'm not into games but I have yet to find anything that works "noticeably" better on the Samsungs.  And they don't get anywhere near the battery life.

edit: BTW, did you ever get the tablet you had soft bricked working?  There is usally a way to recover from that.  If you can give me the model number, I may be able to tell you how.

Edited by Bookmem

The Asus tablet is stuck in quick boot mode. From time to time I connect it  to the computer and try some things I read about. So far, nothing has worked.

It is model K013 and ME176CX. When you search it is ME176CX. There is a model without the X and I found a ROM for that model but not for my model.

I'm not sure how to even get anything on it or reset it, if the computer doesn't recognize it.

The computer no longer recognizes it because android won't load.

94473f1360838645.jpg

I plug it into the wall wart and it shows the battery level and will charge to 100% but that's about it.

I've pressed several different key combinations to factory reset it but that hasn't worked.

Every once in awhile with some key combos, I can get menu choices but nothing on the menus work.

One possibility I've considered is letting it on with the loading screen showing for a few days and hoping the battery dies. I'm wondering if that would factory reset it.

1 hour ago, zlim said:

The Asus tablet is stuck in quick boot mode. From time to time I connect it  to the computer and try some things I read about. So far, nothing has worked.

It is model K013 and ME176CX. When you search it is ME176CX. There is a model without the X and I found a ROM for that model but not for my model.

I'm not sure how to even get anything on it or reset it, if the computer doesn't recognize it.

The computer no longer recognizes it because android won't load.

94473f1360838645.jpg

I plug it into the wall wart and it shows the battery level and will charge to 100% but that's about it.

I've pressed several different key combinations to factory reset it but that hasn't worked.

Every once in awhile with some key combos, I can get menu choices but nothing on the menus work.

One possibility I've considered is letting it on with the loading screen showing for a few days and hoping the battery dies. I'm wondering if that would factory reset it.

Zlim;  I found this thread in the XDA forums.  XDA is normally the best place to find Android solutions. 

I'll have a read through and perhaps try it next week.

Right now I'm busy with Thanksgiving dinner.

THANK YOU.

Even if it doesn't work, it is worth trying because the tablet is useless in it's current state. (Of course, I'm not sure what I do to get the tablet to see the micro sd card when I turn it on because it stalls at loading system).

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday Nov 30th and I managed to install googleplay on my Fire HD 10 (2019) tablet. I had written notes and watched a video.

I'm not ready to completely remove the android version that Amazon offers. (Toolbox is on the back burner if I later decide to wipe it).

Here's why I'm retaining what is on the Kindle. I got a credit for a book and downloaded a book at no cost on Friday.

I have an offer for a free 3 month trial of Kindle Unlimited so I'll use that to read some books. I probably won't do much reading before Christmas but I'll make up for it after Christmas.

Edited by zlim

• 1 month later...

I'm getting no where with getting my oldest tablet, Asus,  to boot. I read through the thread posted on Nov. 25th at the XDA developer's forum. The problem is, since the thread is from 2015, I can't find a file from Asus to download. Step 2 says to do this: Download the latest update from asus on your device's page (UL-K013-WW-12.10.1.17_KK.zip in my case)

Asus has only one file under drivers and tools:  ASUS MeMO Pad 7 (ME176CX) Kernel Code(V12.10.1.17) and I'm not positive that is what I want.They used to have files with different language versions.

I spent over an hour on Tuesday and several hours on Wednesday trying things and failing. I did get to a screen that allowed me to erase user data but when I rebooted, I was still stuck on the spinning.

On a positive note, when I plug it into the charger, the battery icon appears, then shows the amount of charge left and continues to charge.

I'm not at the point yet where I want to e-cycle it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I found a page with downloads that work

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/me176c-x-k013-collection-of-roms-and-updates.3012965/

I downloaded all of these and will see what I can do with them.

Edited by zlim

I have the time since I'm basically stuck in the house and there is just so many shows you can watch. I need something to get me to do a bit more thinking.

I had intended to keep it in my hubby's car so he can take pictures. (He is on the local Zoning board and when he sees violations, he likes to take a picture.) He used to use it to take pictures. His phone is an ancient flip phone which doesn't have a camera. Perhaps when I pry the old phone out of his hands this year and replace it with a newer flip phone that has a  camera, I'll e-cycle it. Till then, it gives me something to work on.

V.T. Eric Layton

Pretty soon he won't have a choice about that old v2.0 flip phone. The networks across the world are going to 5G (stands for 5th Generation, in case any of you folks didn't know that). The older 4G and 3G network capabilities will remain, but anything older than that will no longer function on any networks.

This is precisely what happened to me recently when I had to give up my old Motorola 2G flat phone for a new Google/NSA smarty-pants phone.

- old phone

oCtwPPM.jpg

- new one

th?id=OIP.riGDkVVWwCODBVtfEoBufAHaOi%26p

- my custom screen

hYvdllh.png

OK, now that I totally went off-topic on you... I agree with @crp above; might be time to move on from that old tablet. It definitely seems to have some major issues. :(

I researched last year and found an Alcatel flip phone for him. He is good through the end of this year using his old phone. (Boost is one of the last to end 2G and 3G service).  He doesn't want a flat phone with a screen to press numbers. He wants a "normal" keypad. https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone/alcatel-go-flip-3

We went to the store last year before everything closed, found they had the phone in stock, and asked about the plan so we will be good to go.

I also found a plan using T-mobile that costs $3/month for phone minutes and text. We don't text and he uses very few minutes in a month so it will work for him.

• +1 1

I have an old Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 that used to be stuffed full of kids games, but the grandkids prefer their Switch now. I've uninstalled a lot of stuff and I hope to use it as an ereader. It's still a dog though.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a Fire HD 10 2017 tablet for $76.62, including tax and shipping.  I have a Samsung S5e and a Tab A 10" 2019 and I'm replacing the two of them with the two Fire HD 10s. (2017 and 2019).  I find that for what I use tablets, the Fire HDs work just as well as the more expensive Samsung tablets. Primarily reading and streaming sports events.  I've been known to sit in my favorite pub reading a book on my Surface Book, watching a football game on one tab and a Nascar race on the other.  My idea of multi-tasking.😄

Edited by Bookmem
  • Like 1