Your Computer Isn't Yours (Mac)

sunrat

Your computer now serves a remote master, who has decided that they are entitled to spy on you.

I decided long ago never to buy a Mac and drink their Koolaid. Now with recent versions' "telemetry" being more akin to spyware, I will never, ever, no way, ever get one. The latest ones with ARM64 chips and Big Sur bypass even the old geeky hacks that were possible in previous versions and won't run previous Macos versions. Even Win10 can be tweaked to block phoning home.

https://sneak.berlin/20201112/your-computer-isnt-yours/

Dear Frog, This Water Is Now Boiling
The day that Stallman and Doctorow have been warning us about has arrived this week. It’s been a slow and gradual process, but we are finally here. You will receive no further alerts.

Thank ${deity} for Linux.

• Like 1

Cluttermagnet
12 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I've never owned anything by Apple in my life. I don't plan on breaking that record anytime soon, either.

Ditto. I always felt that their stuff was overpriced. Also didn't like

that 3rd party software and hardware were fenced out of their

little enclave...

Clutter

• Like 1

Lots of folks in my 'hood have Apple phones and iPads but very few actual laptops or desktops. I let it be known I cannot support anyone who does own an Apple PC, as I don't have any Apple stuff myself. Not that I have that much influence over what they get. Mostly folks don't want to pay Apple prices.

In my limited experience Apple PC owners tend to be very nervous about getting hacked or are very inexperienced when it comes to computing. They pay for the security blanket.

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

I've never owned anything by Apple in my life. I don't plan on breaking that record anytime soon, either.

I owned a used iPad 2 for a couple of months, just to see what all the hype was about.  Of course, it wasn't my primary tablet.  I also had a Samsung Tab A 2016 at the time. (Rooted with a LOS custom ROM.) To say my iPad experience was underwhelming, is being polite about it.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, raymac46 said:

Lots of folks in my 'hood have Apple phones and iPads but very few actual laptops or desktops. I let it be known I cannot support anyone who does own an Apple PC, as I don't have any Apple stuff myself. Not that I have that much influence over what they get. Mostly folks don't want to pay Apple prices.

In my limited experience Apple PC owners tend to be very nervous about getting hacked or are very inexperienced when it comes to computing. They pay for the security blanket.

I think it has more to with the "status symbol" than security.  "Mine is bigger than yours."😄

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Bookmem said:

I think it has more to with the "status symbol" than security.

While I only know a couple of people who have Apple products, they certainly fall into that category. To them, smartphone means iPhone.

My neighbour has an iphone. And a Windows laptop. 😬 It's bad enough having either Apple or MS but mixing the two is crazy.

She asked me recently to help her send a photo from her phone but couldn't work out how to attach it. I managed to work out how to attach it but not how to subsequently send it! I have now sacked myself as her IT support.

I prefer pears anyway.

Apple stuff is ok, graphics are really good and they do wear well. However they are overpriced for what you get and the cables etc are just a plain old rip of. Folk have to spend their loot on something. 🤓