It's Been several Months

mhbell

It's been several months since I've been in the Forum. I just turned 82 yesterday and still going strong. I use Latest Linux mint as my primary OS and seduction as My secondary OS. I've only kept Windows 10 so I can upgrade my Garman GPS. I took windows off of the Wifes computer and she is using Mint. Since we have gotten some snow the last couple of days and I can't work outside I've been downloading different Distro's to try out. I am looking for a lightweight distro to put on my NuVision tablet Encite split 11 Mint runs slow on it with a weak celeron cpu and 4 gb ram. hard drive is only 64GB So far the best one has been LXLE . The latest Puppy works great from a USB Key but can't get it to install and work off of the HD. So I'll keep on searching.

Mel

• Like 4

I was going to wish you a Happy Birthday but when I saw you hadn't been here lately, I didn't post in the birthday thread.

So, Here's a belated B-day cake and Best Wishes for a great year.

719741661112333.jpg

Happy (belated) Birthday, mhbell! sunrat, I feel ya on those "little" aches and pains! Also, memory seems kinda weird lately! On the positive side (I think), it seems that with each passing year, things I thought I knew "for sure" have become things I'm not so sure about anymore. Maybe that's part of what they call "wisdom".

Many Thanks to everyone for the Birthday wishes. This is still the Best forum and so thoughtful of all the members. Thanks again for your kindness and thoughts.

Mel

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 10:04 PM, mhbell said:

It's been several months since I've been in the Forum. I just turned 82 yesterday and still going strong. I use Latest Linux mint as my primary OS and seduction as My secondary OS. I've only kept Windows 10 so I can upgrade my Garman GPS. I took windows off of the Wifes computer and she is using Mint. Since we have gotten some snow the last couple of days and I can't work outside I've been downloading different Distro's to try out. I am looking for a lightweight distro to put on my NuVision tablet Encite split 11 Mint runs slow on it with a weak celeron cpu and 4 gb ram. hard drive is only 64GB So far the best one has been LXLE . The latest Puppy works great from a USB Key but can't get it to install and work off of the HD. So I'll keep on searching.

Mel

I don't know ya as well, or as long, as others on here, but I certainly know ya well enough to say "Happy Birthday Mel!"

No doubt Mint is "too heavy" for that tablet.  I'm not surprised that a lightweight distro like LXLE (based on LXDE Lubuntu) performs the best.  Seems to confirm that the hardware is struggling with more modern GUIs.  Ray's suggestion for LXQT is a good one, but LXQT is slightly heavier than LXDE, and the "initial load" of RAM is heavier with QT-based toolkits, but a slower rate of increase with usage.  I'm a big fan of LXQT and use it on my daily driver/production machine.  Debian LXQT has been very stable for me and I've been happy with it.

Perhaps I have you confused with another member here, but I thought you were an OpenSUSE guy?  I'm not very well versed in the RPM distros of linux-land, but based on your post above, looks like you're in the Debian/'buntu family now.  With that said...considering your hardware limitations, I'd seriously consider Antix for that tablet.  Ideally, I'd recommend a window-manager environment like Openbox, Fluxbox, or PekWM, but you'll likely want to add some toolbars, panels, menus or other items at startup to assist with tablet navigation.  And if you do that, I suspect that Antix is already pre-configured to be that "sweet spot" of performance and functionality.

Let us know what you settle on and your thoughts on whatever you select.  Good luck birthday boy!

@HJ the reason I suggested LXQt is that I have had good luck running it with Arch on a really cruddy Toshiba netbook. I believe that LXQt is probably the future of the LX* distros so it never hurts to move there from LXDE. I agree that Antix may be a good solution as well - but my recent "adventures" with MX Linux have given me pause to recommend it.

1 hour ago, Hedon James said:

I don't know ya as well, or as long, as others on here, but I certainly know ya well enough to say "Happy Birthday Mel!"

No doubt Mint is "too heavy" for that tablet.  I'm not surprised that a lightweight distro like LXLE (based on LXDE Lubuntu) performs the best.  Seems to confirm that the hardware is struggling with more modern GUIs.  Ray's suggestion for LXQT is a good one, but LXQT is slightly heavier than LXDE, and the "initial load" of RAM is heavier with QT-based toolkits, but a slower rate of increase with usage.  I'm a big fan of LXQT and use it on my daily driver/production machine.  Debian LXQT has been very stable for me and I've been happy with it.

Perhaps I have you confused with another member here, but I thought you were an OpenSUSE guy?  I'm not very well versed in the RPM distros of linux-land, but based on your post above, looks like you're in the Debian/'buntu family now.  With that said...considering your hardware limitations, I'd seriously consider Antix for that tablet.  Ideally, I'd recommend a window-manager environment like Openbox, Fluxbox, or PekWM, but you'll likely want to add some toolbars, panels, menus or other items at startup to assist with tablet navigation.  And if you do that, I suspect that Antix is already pre-configured to be that "sweet spot" of performance and functionality.

Let us know what you settle on and your thoughts on whatever you select.  Good luck birthday boy!

Hello Hedon

Thanks for the Birthday thoughts. I use to be a Suse fan and purchased the comercial version for many yearsfrom about version 5.3 as I remember. I even used it to run a BBS. But around version 10.? I had a disasterous Crash and lost everything. I went back to running OS2 Warp untill Ubuntu Came out and ran it until Mint which has been my main distro ever since with Siduction as my secondary OS. I multi boot and have the following Linux OS's installed in order. Mint Cinanmon, Siduction, LXQT and Cinamon, LXLE, Manjaro, Fedora, MX19.3. All are the latest with Mint on a SSD with Win10 and the rest are on a second SSD. I install every distro that I try or experiment with to a SSD and not virtual because I want the true capabilities of the distro. Virtual slows them down.

Mel

securitybreach

Meh, just use Archlinux with Openbox (or i3wm). You can easily get memory usage down to less than 300mb using lightweight applications.

securitybreach

I used to run Archlinux on my old HP Touchpad like 10 years ago. You had to use lightweight apps but it worked fine with 1gb ram. It wasn't fully supported (I think bluetooth wouldnt work) but Linux supports a lot more mobile chipsets nowadays.

1 hour ago, raymac46 said:

@HJ the reason I suggested LXQt is that I have had good luck running it with Arch on a really cruddy Toshiba netbook. I believe that LXQt is probably the future of the LX* distros so it never hurts to move there from LXDE. I agree that Antix may be a good solution as well - but my recent "adventures" with MX Linux have given me pause to recommend it.

Agreed with everything you said about LXQT and the future of LX* distros.  I'm running Debian LXQT (currently on older 14.1 version...v16 has recently been released) on my machines with no issues, and I'm quite happy with it.  I understand your pause with MX Linux, but I would point out the level of customizations and custom tools being developed for MX that aren't present in Antix.  While the MX devs and Antix devs are related, they're not the same.  Maybe I misunderstand, but I'm under the impression that Mepis devs have used Antix as the base, and added their Mepis tools....hence the MX moniker "Mepis Antix".

• +1 1

A Memory Comparison of Light Linux Desktops

See the chart at the end of this first part for enligtenment.

A Memory Comparison of Light Linux Desktops – Part 2

On Debian install it as apt-get install wmaker, and as yum install windowmaker on Fedora. Start it as wmaker. It runs in 7MB of memory.

As a fanboi I naturally have to plug my favourite.

🤣

14 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

A Memory Comparison of Light Linux Desktops

See the chart at the end of this first part for enligtenment.

A Memory Comparison of Light Linux Desktops – Part 2

As a fanboi I naturally have to plug my favourite.

🤣

Thank You for the info. In the past 20 plus years I've used just about every windows manager. LXDE is one of my favorites. I also have puppy with the JWM on a 30 GB usb stick. that or LXLE would be my choice for my Tablet. at the present I am using LXLE on it and puppy as a backup os. I would use puppy if I could get it to install on the SSD. The tablet is a windows with a touch screen and unfortunately Linux does't Have a good enough touch screen capability at this time.

Mel

13 minutes ago, mhbell said:

unfortunately Linux does't Have a good enough touch screen capability at this time.

I have used a touchscreen interface on my ToughBook CF-19 and it worked ok. I can not remember if I was running MX or antiX but I think it was one of them. Was not too difficult to set up if I remember I had to research a tad and fiddle a little but nothing too esoteric. 😎

3 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

I have used a touchscreen interface on my ToughBook CF-19 and it worked ok. I can not remember if I was running MX or antiX but I think it was one of them. Was not too difficult to set up if I remember I had to research a tad and fiddle a little but nothing too esoteric. 😎

I will have to do some more checking, but so far no luck with touch screens on Linux.

😂

@HJ I used antiX a lot on old 32 bit Netbooks and it was always a great performer. I would really wish to like and recommend MX Linux as it does a great job with Xfce. I don't use a lot of the tools the MX folks develop - just update and upgrade with the CLI.

I would prefer they just make things stable and not have software glitches or hardware incompatibility. I cannot recommend a Linux distro that fails to boot properly after a fresh install - especially on old hardware, as that is my major reason to install Linux in the first place.

securitybreach

Unfortunately, the majority of linux distros will not work with old hardware anymore. There are ones geared towards aging hardware but most expect you to have an up to date computer.

securitybreach
2 hours ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

Ah... analog toaster, eh?

Nah, its the arch method. You have to make your own from parts.

• Agree 1