ZETA - New Orleans

V.T. Eric Layton

securitybreach

Luckily it doesn't flood at my house and I am right beside the 17th canal. I am actually on the same power circuit as the pump house. Worse case scenario, I lose power but if it is extended I will just drive to alabama.

• Agree 1

securitybreach

I have a UPS so I was able to cleanly shutdown, I have a car generator with AC, jumper cables and air. It will keep my phone charged. I may go camping with a friend in mississippi tomorrow if the power is still off. Over 400,000 without power in SE Louisiana.

• +1 2

At least you don't have to worry about pipes freezing like those states on the northern tier do if they'd lose power now.

Our neighbors bought a whole house generator a few years ago. My husband and I decided for the few remaining years in our home (we are both in our 70's), it wasn't cost effective. If the power appears to be out come nightfall, we'll go to a hotel/motel.

October 30 2011 we had a freak snowfall with 6" - 8" of snow. Since the trees still had leaves, it caused lots and lots of trees to topple and of course hit power lines and transformers. We had no power for 8 1/2 days. We toughed it out at home. Never again!

I hope you either get the power back soon or have a nice stay in Alabama.

V.T. Eric Layton

Electricity, hot water, and flush toilets are three things we take for granted... until we don't have them.

• Agree 1

securitybreach

Still no power. Had to heat up water on the grill for coffee. No damage at my house, just limbs everywhere. Lots of limbs down on the streets around me but nothing large here.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

securitybreach

The outages are spotty as my buddy a mile away had his come back in at one am. A few hundred thousand after without power currently in this area.

Hope they get things fixed and you are soon back to normal.

I remember that Oct 30 2011 snowfall. We went through E. Stroudsburg PA a few days later on our way to a cruise out of NJ. They still had snowbanks.

Hope your power is restored soon. I went through 5 days without power in the freak snow storm zlim mentioned, and I remember how bad it got toward the end. At least you don't have to deal with water damage from flooding.

Edited by ebrke

1 minute ago, ebrke said:

Hope your power is restored soon. I went through 5 days without power in the freak snow storm zlim mentioned, and I remember how bad it got toward the end. At least you don't have to deal with water damage from flooding.

I got power back late yesterday evening.  My problem was I was stuck on the 8th floor with no elevator service.  The bldg paid a fortune after Katrina to install emergency generators to operate the elevators during a power outage.  15 yrs later and they still don't work!!!!   During Katrina, I was still able to climb the 8 stories carrying a bucket of water.  At 81, I can no longer do that.  At least this time, we had water pressure and could flush the toilet.  But no hot water.

• Agree 1

44 minutes ago, ebrke said:

Just read article in WaPo saying that two-thirds of New Orleans had lost power immediately after storm. Hope that number has gone down.

You can check the current outages by clicking here.

securitybreach

As soon as I got to alabama, my neighbor called to say power was on. Ill be back home on Sunday. This was about 20m ago so almost 48 hours without power

• +1 2

We have a camp grill that uses small propane tanks. I usually make perked coffee. I saved one of the non-electric old time perks you use to put on a stove burner. I also make scrambled eggs trying to use up things in the fridge that won't last and lessening the amount of food I have to toss.

If I don't open the freezer the food in there is good for 23 hours; at least that's what I read. My husband bought dry ice to try and prolong the shelf life of some of the freezer food.

Hopefully the power will be on when you come back Sunday night; if not, you could spend an hour at your friend's to make the long dark night less boring.

securitybreach
1 hour ago, zlim said:

Hopefully the power will be on when you come back Sunday night; if not, you could spend an hour at your friend's to make the long dark night less boring.

See the the comment above yours.

V.T. Eric Layton

Heh... this is how I made coffee for the four days I had no power after Irma in 2017...

vR9EhYf.jpg

It's an ol' skool percolator coffee pot and a little Sterno camp stove. I had it sitting on my cast iron griddle on top of my washing machine out in the back porch. That percolated coffee was some of the best coffee I'd drank in a decade or so. Drip coffee makers just can't do the percolator thing. :)

• Like 3
  • +1 1

My husband has had a fascination with coffee pots since he was a toddler. No stuffed animal or bear for him. He used to fall asleep with the coffee pot!  His mom said they used to have to wait until he fell asleep so they could make coffee.

Here is his collection.

32jb4k9.jpg

If you watch MASH from time to time you will see one of the 50's coffee pots on the show.

I don't dare use one of those.

So here are mine.

j9BiNMN.jpg

The pot on the left is what I use on the camp stove. The one on the right I save just for sentimental reasons. It only holds 8 ounces of water so it makes 1 cup of perked coffee. It was handy before microwaves but not now.

Edited by zlim
pasted too many images which I could not see.
  • Like 1
  • +1 2

securitybreach
2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Hope you folks have weathered the storm and are safe and well. 😎

We were out of power for 42 hours but no damage at my house.

• +1 1