Lenovo Begins Selling 30 Linux ThinkPads and ThinkStation PCs

securitybreach

securitybreach

"More top-tier computer OEMs are now offering a broad assortment of Linux desktops," reports ZDNet.

"In the latest move, Lenovo, currently the top PC vendor in the world according to Gartner, will roll Ubuntu Linux 20.04 LTS out across 30 of Lenovo's ThinkPads and ThinkStations..."While Lenovo started certifying most of its laptop and PC line on the top Linux distributions since June 2020, this is a much bigger step. Now, instead of simply acknowledging its equipment will be guaranteed to run Linux, Lenovo's selling Ubuntu Linux-powered hardware to ordinary Joe and Jane users.

Previously, you could only buy most of these machines if you were a business and had specified you wanted Ubuntu on a customized bid. Now, nearly 30 Ubuntu-loaded devices will now be available for purchase via Lenovo.com. These include 13 ThinkStation and ThinkPad P Series Workstations and an additional 14 ThinkPad T, X, X1, and L series laptops, all with the 20.04 LTS version of Ubuntu...

No one's predicting a "Year of the Linux desktop." Companies such as Dell and Lenovo aren't predicting such a game-changing event, but they're selling largely to enterprise companies, which have seen the virtues of using high-end Linux desktops for powerful, forward-looking technologies such as AI, ML, containers, and cloud-native computing.

"Our announcement of device certification in June was a step in the right direction to enable customers to more easily install Linux on their own," explains Lenovo's vice president of PCSD software and cloud — but now they're going even further.

"Our goal is to remove the complexity and provide the Linux community with the premium experience that our customers know us for. This is why we have taken this next step to offer Linux-ready devices right out of the box."

https://linux.slashdot.org/story/20/09/28/012210/lenovo-begins-selling-30-linux-thinkpads-and-thinkstation-pcs

• Like 2
  • +1 1

Good news for IT professionals tasked with deployment and support of Ubuntu in the enterprise workplace. As a hobbyist, I would be interested in getting one of those high end desktops off-lease in a few years time.

At present I have two older Lenovo laptops - one commercial grade and one consumer grade. Both were well designed to support Linux and both ran it well after an easy installation.

Lenovo has long been a go-to brand for a painless Linux experience. But frankly what laptop or desktop won't run Linux these days?

• Like 2
  • +1 1

securitybreach

Linux has already dominated all aspects of computing but the desktop. Most people on earth have a Linux kernel running in their phone, in their tv, in their cars, their DVR/streaming device, their smart appliances, etc.

• Agree 1

securitybreach

The Linux servers are blades running VMs for the engineers and scientists as everyone works from laptops but on full docking station setups with a minimum of two monitor.

The standard machines are HP Elitebook models ( 830s, X360, etc.) with i7s, 16gb ram and 250gb nvme drives.

The technical users (engineers and such) have beefier machines with zeons, 32gb ram and 1tb nvme drives. They use HP Zbook 15 G6s

Most of these machines are running win 10 enterprise though. 

• Thanks 1

I haven't been in the corporate world for 15 years now but it doesn't surprise me that Windows is hanging on to its commercial desktop business.

When I worked at Unilever, the need for standardization was paramount. We shipped documents all over the world, so we needed standard office suites and compatibility. This was in the pre-cloud era where there were a lot of local servers.

Unilever used NT4 long after Windows 2000 and XP were available.

I remember when one IT guy at our factory screwed up and put in Word Perfect 6 while the rest of the world was standardized on WP 5.0. It caused total chaos because most dummies did not know how to save a text document in WP 5 format. I doubt it's much different today.

securitybreach
Just now, securitybreach said:

It's completely different as everyone uses the cloud based Office 365 which is universally accepted.