So...How's Yer Wifi?

raymac46

It's complicated in my case. But it's generally OK I think. Here are a few details.

The Pipe: Mr Rogers (my ISP) delivers a reliable 300 Mbps of bandwidth over coax to my modem.

The Gateway: Hitron CGNM-3552. It's  a 1GB Dual Band AC gateway with built in DHCP and band and beam steering. Actually good enough to stand on its own. I took away any secondary routers.

Best Connection: Desktop with wired GB Ethernet right next to the gateway. It's awesome.

The Adapter Team: Motley crew to be sure. I have one modern AC adapter and it gets 200Mbps without breaking a sweat. That's in a Ryzen 5 laptop. Everything else is N protocol (no more G thank heavens.) Some is dual band, most single band 2.4 GHz.

No. of Connections: 4-5. That includes the wired-in desktop. There are a couple of phones, a Roku box and maybe another laptop. Only two things would really be in use at a time, as there are only two people here. All bets are off when my son-in-law's family visit with laptops, smartphones, streaming game machines, tablets, etc.

What it's used for: Netflix, Web, email, bit of Steam, downloading Linux ISOs. No NAS at this point although we do share a wifi printer on the LAN.

General Performance: Aside from the AC adapter in the modern laptop, I get between 30-80 Mbps depending on the machine in use and where it's located. Right now I was getting 60 Mbps on this Linux desktop in the basement.

My Conclusion: I was thinking about getting a Mesh router system but seriously, do I need more than 30 Mbps anywhere in the house? I'm not moving huge files around a LAN. I have to remind myself that 30Mbps is 1000 times faster than the dial-up I started online with.

Edited by raymac46

Steady as a rock. I am on a TalkTalk 38 Mb unlimited download plan capped till 2022 at a cost of £23 a month. This comes with a free router which I connect to by ethernet cable and also wirelessly both work very well.

Speed wise I get an almost rock steady 35 Mb download speed and 8 Mb upload speed. Running through Surfshark VPN my speeds vary depending on the server country. They can be as high as 33/34 Mb or down to 27/28 Mb for the few servers I tried. Those speeds are fast enough for anything I want to do as I do not game on line.

Connection is rock steady and has been for the three years since I moved to Wales.An even in the wilds of Cumbria the service was fine. Whats not to like about it for £5.50 a week I get a shed load of information and entertainment.Only down side is I am burning my eyes out with all the time I spend on the computer surfing.

😍

Edited by abarbarian

Mr. Rogers can deliver you 1 GB down but uploads are only about 30. You'll pay for it, however-and then some. Bell Fibe (if you can get it) will give you 1.5 down and 950 up.

securitybreach
53 minutes ago, raymac46 said:

Mr. Rogers can deliver you 1 GB down but uploads are only about 30. You'll pay for it, however-and then some. Bell Fibe (if you can get it) will give you 1.5 down and 950 up.

Nice that fiber is available there. It’s so great.

ATT put a fiber hub in front of my house a few years ago so I fiber directly into my house into a Ethernet converter box. 

• +1 1

My concern is not the bandwidth I'm getting at the gateway - 300 Mbps is plenty for the number of people using it here normally. It is getting a decent speed over the wifi LAN in different areas of the house.

The problem is compounded by the various ages and capabilities of the wifi adapters connecting to the gateway. I have everything from a D-Link PCI based internal adapter in my oldest desktop to a modern Intel AC dual band adapter in a new Ryzen 5 laptop. Many of these machines run Linux and I need to have a wifi adapter in them that'll work well with Linux. I don't want to upgrade a bunch of adapters in old hardware either.

So it is what it is. And frankly given the hodge podge of adapters connecting, it's not bad at all.

Well i did weaken and replaced the ISP's gateway with a modern Linksys router. It does have mesh capability but at this point I'm just going with the router - no additional nodes.

It has made a difference. Anywhere I have modern AC 5GHz adapters I am getting insane download speeds, close to the wired connection. The 2.4GHz adapters are faster too, just not quite up to the 5 GHz band.

The hardest part was getting a wireless printer to work. I had to change its static IP as the old gateway was 192.168.0.1 and Linksys uses 192.168.1.1 for its router. Then I had to reconfigure the wifi login, even though I'm using the same SSID and password.

The signal seems stronger if you can trust Network Manager. Hopefully it'll be more stable as well. My daughter is coming out next month to do some remote access seminars for her university course so I don't want the signal dropping off halfway through her Zoom session.

Edited by raymac46

Oopsie! After I got my new router installed I noticed that a few of my older computers were connecting to 195.168.0.X instead of the new network gateway 192.168.1.X. That seemed odd to me, so I logged into the ISP modem and discovered it still had gateway functionality. I had switched it off at the start but the settings didn't take apparently. I was running a double NAT.

I haven't made this dumb rookie mistake in years. It works but can cause issues with latency and (wait for it) proper routing and port forwarding.

I have now made sure that the ISP gateway is dumbed down to a modem only and now everything is on the same page.

Edited by raymac46

• 3 weeks later...

very steady but i don't use it much for LAN pc traffic, for that i use powerline ethernet.

wireless used for phones, tablets, speakers and alexa devices.

i have my Roku on ethernet but the FireStick is on wifi. When i've used it , seems to handle 4K quite all right.