U.S. court: Mass surveillance program exposed by Snowden was illegal

securitybreach

securitybreach

(Reuters) - Seven years after former National Security Agency contractor Edward Snowden blew the whistle on the mass surveillance of Americans’ telephone records, an appeals court has found the program was unlawful - and that the U.S. intelligence leaders who publicly defended it were not telling the truth.

In a ruling handed down on Wednesday, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit said the warrantless telephone dragnet that secretly collected millions of Americans’ telephone records violated the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act and may well have been unconstitutional.

Snowden, who fled to Russia in the aftermath of the 2013 disclosures and still faces U.S. espionage charges, said on Twitter that the ruling was a vindication of his decision to go public with evidence of the National Security Agency’s domestic eavesdropping operation.

“I never imagined that I would live to see our courts condemn the NSA’s activities as unlawful and in the same ruling credit me for exposing them,” Snowden said in a message posted to Twitter.........

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-nsa-spying/u-s-court-mass-surveillance-program-exposed-by-snowden-was-illegal-idUSKBN25T3CK

• +1 1

9 hours ago, securitybreach said:

what would expect from the 9th?  The real problem with collecting the same data phone Cos had always kept, was letting someone with Snowden's lack of authority have access to the data.  Collecting data that no one ever sees, isn't the problem.  The problem is allowing idiots like Snowden access to it.  

9 hours ago, securitybreach said:

W

Data is like bananas.  If its old it's rotten.  The only intended purpose of the NSA program was to collect and preserve the same info the police frequently use to catch crooks. But when it comes to terrorist, the govt can't afford to waste time fighting cos like Apple to get needed info.  While I will agree that the FISA court concept has been abused, it comes down to throwing the baby out with bath water.  And the blatant abuse to date was aimed at Pres Trump.