MS force feeding Edge

Bookmem

When I restarted my computer today to install the latest MS update, it tried to force me to "Get Started" with Edge.  I had to use Task Manager to end it.  It also put the Edge shortcut icon back on my Desktop.  It also won't allow me to uninstall Edge or Edge update apps.  How far is MS allowed to go with this sort of trash? 

V.T. Eric Layton

It's their operating system. They can do whatever they please with it... and have been for quite a few years.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, V.T. Eric Layton said:

It's their operating system. They can do whatever they please with it... and have been for quite a few years.

There are a few courts that have said otherwise.  If they could, most people would still be using IE.

securitybreach
5 hours ago, Bookmem said:

There are a few courts that have said otherwise.  If they could, most people would still be using IE.

That was because they were preventing another browser to be used. They never stopped installing IE on any window's computer. Also, Edge is based on Chromium so its basically chrome as they use the same source. Heck, you can even use chrome extensions on Edge. It's 200% better than IE ever was.

That said, IE is still on windows 10 but it will not show up in the start menu anywhere. You have to hit Start and then type IE to see it.

All that said, I do not use windows or edge but I do have to deal with it at work.

most people would still be using IE

I doubt that. IE and Edge together only have 8% of the browsers shares, at the end of June. It would be lower, if MS didn't bundle it with the OS.

Source: https://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

MS has been pulling the browser joined at the hip to the MS OS since they forced Netscape out of business.

The business demise of Netscape was a central premise of Microsoft's antitrust trial, wherein the Court ruled that Microsoft's bundling of Internet Explorer with the Windows operating system was a monopolistic and illegal business practice. The decision came too late for Netscape, however, as Internet Explorer had by then become the dominant web browser in Windows.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netscape_Navigator

I only kept IE because a) you could not uninstall it just hide it and b) up until Windows 7I think,  you needed it to keep the OS patched.

18 hours ago, securitybreach said:

That was because they were preventing another browser to be used. They never stopped installing IE on any window's computer. Also, Edge is based on Chromium so its basically chrome as they use the same source. Heck, you can even use chrome extensions on Edge. It's 200% better than IE ever was.

That said, IE is still on windows 10 but it will not show up in the start menu anywhere. You have to hit Start and then type IE to see it.

All that said, I do not use windows or edge but I do have to deal with it at work.

No, it was because they merely made is easier to choose IE as the default.  They never made it impossible to use another browser.

securitybreach

No, it was because they merely made is easier to choose IE as the default.  They never made it impossible to use another browser.

Then, they do the same thing with Edge now.

securitybreach

United States v. Microsoft Corporation, 253 F.3d 34 (D.C. Cir. 2001),[1] was a noted American antitrust law case in which the U.S. government accused Microsoft of illegally maintaining its monopoly position in the PC market primarily through the legal and technical restrictions it put on the abilities of PC manufacturers (OEMs) and users to uninstall Internet Explorer and use other programs such as Netscape and Java.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.