Security risk during log-in

wa4chq

Greetings all.  The other morning I got to thinking about when I log in on my laptop.  I'm the only user but I still like to log in with username and password.  Well that all takes place before connecting to the internet which will then start PiaVPN.  I'm I at risk from someone getting my log in info?  They'd still have to steal the laptop I guess to be able to use the info they got, but still....just curious.  Am I OK doing what I'm doing or do you guys have other suggestions?  Thanks and have a great and safe weekend.  Happy Fourth to whoever...

securitybreach

The login info is local so there is no real threat from attack. I think you may be mixing up the VPN lack of logging and your machine logs.

• Agree 1

securitybreach

If you wanted to secure your login even more, you could but a yubikey and add 2FA to your computer login. Then it wouldn't matter if they had your password and computer, they couldn't login without the yubikey.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, securitybreach said:

The login info is local so there is no real threat from attack. I think you may be mixing up the VPN lack of logging and your machine logs.

Good morning SB...this makes sense.  I guess I'd have to be connected to the internet when I enter the login password for someone to get that info.  Now why didn't I think of that?  lol. Have a great day!

• Agree 1