ESET Defends Malwarebytes!

Corrine

Last week, fourteen cybersecurity experts, infosec biz ESET, and tech advocacy groups the Internet Association and TechFreedom filed friend-of-the-court briefs urging the US Supreme Court to review a 2019 appeals court ruling against antivirus maker Malwarebytes.

The flurry of legal arguments represents an effort to ensure blanket immunity protections outlined in Section 230 of America's Communications Decency Act (CDA) – which Malwarebytes is relying on – remain as broad as possible.

In 2017, a district court judge in San Jose, California, dismissed a complaint brought by Enigma Software against its competitor Malwarebytes. Enigma filed its complaint because Malwarebytes' tools labelled Enigma's anti-spyware app a "potentially unwanted program," and asked users whether they wanted to remove it, if it was detected on a system.

Enigma claimed that its Spyhunter software was legitimate and posed no threat to users. However, Malwarebytes prevailed in court when the judge dismissed the case, citing 2009's Zango v. Kaspersky decision. The judge affirmed Malwarebytes was immune from liability under 47 U.S.C. § 230(c)(2)(B) of the CDA.
See complete article at ESET rushes to defend rival Malwarebytes in legal war sparked by vendor upset at 'unwanted program' labeling • The Register
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

securitybreach

I wouldnt consider them "rivals" at all though. Malwarebytes is literally for malware and spyware only and eset does antivirus, malware, spyware, etc.

• Like 1

Isn't Enigma the same outfit that sued BleepingComputer over an unfavorable review in a forum post?

Their legal department must have too much time on it's hands.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

securitybreach
9 minutes ago, Pete! said:

Isn't Enigma the same outfit that sued BleepingComputer over an unfavorable review in a forum post?

Their legal department must have too much time on it's hands.

Sounds like trolls.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, Corrine said:
Last week, fourteen cybersecurity experts, infosec biz ESET, and tech advocacy groups the Internet Association and TechFreedom filed friend-of-the-court briefs urging the US Supreme Court to review a 2019 appeals court ruling against antivirus maker Malwarebytes.

The flurry of legal arguments represents an effort to ensure blanket immunity protections outlined in Section 230 of America's Communications Decency Act (CDA) – which Malwarebytes is relying on – remain as broad as possible.

In 2017, a district court judge in San Jose, California, dismissed a complaint brought by Enigma Software against its competitor Malwarebytes. Enigma filed its complaint because Malwarebytes' tools labelled Enigma's anti-spyware app a "potentially unwanted program," and asked users whether they wanted to remove it, if it was detected on a system.

Enigma claimed that its Spyhunter software was legitimate and posed no threat to users. However, Malwarebytes prevailed in court when the judge dismissed the case, citing 2009's Zango v. Kaspersky decision. The judge affirmed Malwarebytes was immune from liability under 47 U.S.C. § 230(c)(2)(B) of the CDA.
See complete article at ESET rushes to defend rival Malwarebytes in legal war sparked by vendor upset at 'unwanted program' labeling • The Register

I wouldn't use a malware removal app that wasn' t "based on Malwarebytes", but I don't use their app itself because I find it too agressive.  But they don't label things as "unwanted" but rather as "potentionially unwanted".  I don't see how they could be sued successfully for that, but with some of the court decisions you see today, you never know.  Lawyers sued tobacco co.s for decades before they finally succeeded.  But those lawyers are now VERY rich.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

The important thing is to run an effective real time anti-malware program. I had a friend who was not protected against the Cryptolocker malware and it wasn't pretty. He had a partial backup on his old computer but ended up losing a lot of photos and documents.

Right now I run both Malwarebytes and Eset together. They stay out of each others' way pretty effectively. Maybe I am wearing a belt and suspenders at the same time, but so far no security problems. I back stuff up as well.

Edited by raymac46
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2