Windows 10 May 2020 Update Roll-out Has Started

Corrine

Hello,

Upgraded one ThinkPad P43s previously running Windows 10 Version 1909.  Install took around 50 minutes.  No issues noted so far.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

• Like 1

I started around 3:00 PM.

Sometime during the night, it gave up. 

I'm not sure what went wrong, but based on the link in the link in the popup, I may have to uninstall my "non-Microsoft" real time security (McAfee, Malwarebytes,  WinPatrol) before I try again.

Edited by Pete!

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmm... I have my newly installed Win 10 on this system. I guess I'll have to give this update a go later today. I hope all goes well. Windows updates like this were the reason I quit Windows back in 2006 (XP service packs caused major issues). :(

It is a good idea to check the Known Issues.  Curiously, although there is a compatibility hold on Windows 10 devices with affected Nvidia display drivers drivers (any version lower than 358.00), the latest driver available for my desktop is still GeForce 342.01, released 14Dec2016 and this is the PC where I run the Insider Builds and am not having any issues.  My laptop is of the same generation (2008) as the desktop and also has a display driver lower than 358.   At this point, I'll stay in a holding pattern and see what happens.

• Like 1

V.T. Eric Layton

Hmmm... I may end up being one of those affected by the older Nvidia drivers. We'll see....

No updates here as yet. My desktop is from 2012 but has an Nvidia 1060 in it. My Windows laptop has AMD Vega 8 graphics so that should have no problems with outdated drivers.

This article at BC explains about the update being blocked due to graphics drivers:  Windows 10 2004 upgrade may be blocked due to old graphics drivers.

I now understand why my PC running the Insider Builds is able to do so with an old nVidia driver (the last available for my device).  Going to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Security > Device security > it shows that the memory integrity feature is automatically disabled due to not meeting the hardware requirements:

Standard hardware security not supported
Your device does not meet the requirements for standard hardware security.  Devices have different hardware built in that Windows uses to provide additional protection.

Learn more

• 3 weeks later...

I'm loving the fact that you can now run Docker Desktop without killing VMware Workstation and VirtualBox. Docker no longer relies on having Hyper-V and uses WSL instead. And you can now use WSL2. Even better. A true Linux kernel running in Windows user space. Who'd a thunk 20 years ago they would predict this happening?

• 1 month later...
On 5/28/2020 at 9:39 AM, Pete! said:

I started around 3:00 PM.

Sometime during the night, it gave up. 

I'm not sure what went wrong, but based on the link in the link in the popup, I may have to uninstall my "non-Microsoft" real time security (McAfee, Malwarebytes,  WinPatrol) before I try again.

Windows update now tells me It's ready.

Trying again, this time I'm letting Windows Update go first :).

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Pete! said:

Windows update now tells me It's ready.

Trying again, this time I'm letting Windows Update go first :).

It took all day, and part of the evening, but now in August, I finally have the Spring upgrade.

There was a Dell update waiting for me the first time I booted in V 2004.

There were a couple of "Quality Updates" to catch up on, they both "failed" on the first try, but after another reboot they got installed.

My printer drivers may need help, but HP says I've got the latest.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...