Puzzling problems !!

abarbarian

abarbarian

My pc running Arch has been working perfectly normally for quite some time now and has no problems that I know of.

I have spent the last three days messing around with external drives and Luckybackup, grsync and rsync. Found all sorts of weird and wonderful glitches and problems and had quite a bit of fun sorting and learning about the inner workings of linux.

I use a Star Tech external usb3 dock that allows me to slot in two sata drives. My Arch set up finds these drives and automounts them to /run/media/me/whatever the drive is called.

The external drives have all been wiped and formated to GPT with one ext4 partition.

Puzzle one.

Yesterday I made a backup of my /home to an external drive using rsync. Everything seemed to be ok.The backup folder contents were as expected. My xterm terminal worked as normal. I shut down the external drive after unmounting it. I left the pc running as I crunch for the World Community Grid.

Opened up a terminal this morning and got this,

voHwWGm.png

This appeared at the beginning of the terminal.

I wanted to do,

source ~/.bashrc

but got this and keep on getting the same message every time I try to use it.

>source ~/.bashrc
-bash: This: command not found

I tried out several other commands and they all seem to work ok as you can see from the screenshot. All new terminal show that same "-bash: This: command not found" and every time I try the "source ~/.bashrc" command I get the warning.

"source ~/.bashrc" worked perfectly last night as I made a new alias and tried it out and all worked as normal.

What is going on ?

🙄

Edited by abarbarian

securitybreach

I think there is simply an error in your ~/.bashrc. Can you post your ~/.bashrc here?

You have the word "This" uncommented or added.

abarbarian
11 hours ago, securitybreach said:

I think there is simply an error in your ~/.bashrc. Can you post your ~/.bashrc here?

You have the word "This" uncommented or added.

Apart from the new alias for rsync my .bashrc has not changed, unless I have inadvertantly hit a key and printed a stray character somewhere, but it all looks ok to me.

#
# ~/.bashrc
#

# If not running interactively, don't do anything
[[ $- != *i* ]] && return

export EDITOR='nano'
export PATH="/usr/lib/ccache/bin/:$PATH"
export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin #this is the place for all my own scripts.
export HISTCONTROL=$HISTCONTROL:ignorespace:ignoredups
#PS1='[\h@\t \W]\$ '
export PS1="\[\033[38;5;75m\]\t\[$(tput sgr0)\]\[$(tput bold)\]\[\033[38;5;21m\]-->\[$(tput sgr0)\]\[\033[38;5;75m\]\d\[$(tput sgr0)\]\[$(tput bold)\]\[\033[38;5;21m\]-->\[$(tput sgr0)\]\[\033[38;5;2m\]\W\[$(tput sgr0)\]\n\[$(tput sgr0)\]\[$(tput bold)\]\[\033[38;5;21m\]-->\[$(tput sgr0)\]"

# remember the last 1000 commands in history
HISTSIZE=1000
# Limit the size of the ~/.bash_history file
HISTFILESIZE=2000

# append to the history file, don't overwrite it
shopt -s histappend

# Avoid duplicate entries
export HISTCONTROL=ignoredups:erasedups

#ALIAS
######

###after creating an alias you need to

###reboot or $ source ~/.bashrc

alias sudo="sudo " #Create an alias for sudo with a space at the end then all other aliases will work with sudo without the need for a password.
#alias   w7="sudo mount /dev/nvme0n1p3 /mnt"
#alias   w7u="sudo umount /dev/nvme0n1p3"
#alias  ls="ls --color=auto"
alias    x="startx"

alias  pacu="pacaur -Syu"
alias  paci="pacaur -S"
alias  pacr="pacaur -Rns"
alias  pacq="pacaur -Q"
alias pacor="pacaur -Rns $(pacman -Qtdq)" #recursively removing orphans and their configuration files

alias  rbs="firejail --private --dns=8.8.8.8 --dns=8.8.4.4 firefox -no-remote"
alias  transmission-gtk="firejail transmission-gtk"

alias   gf="grim-fandango"
alias   ha="hangman"

alias    ss="scrot -s"
alias    handbrake="ghb"
This rsync will backup my /home and provide a date stamp in the folder name.
#alias    homeback="rsync -vaHAXShix --delete --exclude=slots --exclude=tempfile --exclude=.local/share/Trash --exclude=projects --exclude=.local/share/gvfs-metadata --exclude=/home/*/.gvfs /home/bloodaxe/  /run/media/bloodaxe/HISTORY/HOME$(date +\\%d-\\%m-\\%Y)"
alias    homeback="rsync -vaHAXShix --delete --exclude=slots --exclude=tempfile --exclude=.local/share/Trash --exclude=projects --exclude=.local/share/gvfs-metadata --exclude=/home/*/.gvfs /home/bloodaxe/  /run/media/bloodaxe/HISTORY/HOME$(date +\\%26-\\%05-\\%2020)"

#alias   kss="ksnip" uninstalled
#alias   boa="flatpak run com.realm667.WolfenDoom_Blade_of_Agony"
#alias  santas="echo MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE | boxes -d santas -p a3l4"

😎

securitybreach

Note the bottom:

alias    ss="scrot -s"
alias    handbrake="ghb"
This rsync will backup my /home and provide a date stamp in the folder name.
#alias    homeback="rsync -vaHAXShix --delete --exclude=slots --exclude=tempfile --exclude=.local/share/Trash --exclude=projects --exclude=.local/share/gvfs-metadata --exclude=/home/*/.gvfs /home/bloodaxe/  /run/media/bloodaxe/HISTORY/HOME$(date +\\%d-\\%m-\\%Y)"
alias    homeback="rsync -vaHAXShix --delete --exclude=slots --exclude=tempfile --exclude=.local/share/Trash --exclude=projects --exclude=.local/share/gvfs-metadata --exclude=/home/*/.gvfs /home/bloodaxe/  /run/media/bloodaxe/HISTORY/HOME$(date +\\%26-\\%05-\\%2020)"

#alias   kss="ksnip" uninstalled
#alias   boa="flatpak run com.realm667.WolfenDoom_Blade_of_Agony"
#alias  santas="echo MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE | boxes -d santas -p a3l4"

That part is not commented out. It should say:

# This rsync will backup my /home and provide a date stamp in the folder name.

• Like 1

abarbarian
7 hours ago, securitybreach said:

That part is not commented out. It should say:

# This rsync will backup my /home and provide a date stamp in the folder name.

Bravo :clap2: I spent over an hour searching for a solution and kept getting all sorts of complicated results but nothing relevant. I would never have spotted the missing #.

abarbarian

Ok another puzzle.

This one is not critical I just would like to know why.

I made a command,

rsync -vaHAXShix --delete --exclude=slots --exclude=tempfile --exclude=.local/share/Trash --exclude=projects --exclude=.local/share/gvfs-metadata --exclude=/home/*/.gvfs --exclude=.local/share/gvfs-metadata /home/bloodaxe/  /run/media/bloodaxe/HISTORY/bloodaxe$(date +\\%d-\\%m-\\%Y)

this gives me a folder called

bloodaxe\25-\05-\2020

however when I make a alias with the same command and use the alias I get a folder called,

bloodaxe25-05-2020

Should not my alias output the same folder name ? I thought alias's simply duplicated the given command wheras my example seems to alter the original command.

Answers on a pin head please. 😎

securitybreach
37 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Bravo :clap2: I spent over an hour searching for a solution and kept getting all sorts of complicated results but nothing relevant. I would never have spotted the missing #.

I only knew as I've done something similar in the past

securitybreach
45 minutes ago, abarbarian said:

Should not my alias output the same folder name ? I thought alias's simply duplicated the given command wheras my example seems to alter the original command.

That is exactly what it does and the output depends on your command/switches.

abarbarian
23 minutes ago, securitybreach said:

I do not understand yer answer.

rsync -vaHAXShix --delete --exclude=slots --exclude=tempfile --exclude=.local/share/Trash --exclude=projects --exclude=.local/share/gvfs-metadata --exclude=/home/*/.gvfs --exclude=.local/share/gvfs-metadata /home/bloodaxe/  /run/media/bloodaxe/HISTORY/bloodaxe$(date +\\%d-\\%m-\\%Y)

alias homebackup="rsync -vaHAXShix --delete --exclude=slots --exclude=tempfile --exclude=.local/share/Trash --exclude=projects --exclude=.local/share/gvfs-metadata --exclude=/home/*/.gvfs --exclude=.local/share/gvfs-metadata /home/bloodaxe/  /run/media/bloodaxe/HISTORY/bloodaxe$(date +\\%d-\\%m-\\%Y)"

Why do the two commands give different output ? Surely they should give the same output ? 🤔

Hedon James

a little above my paygrade AB, but is it possible the different commands are being run in different terminals/shells, with differing syntax treatments?

I saw above your aliases are in "bourne again shell" (BASH) profile, but I think you said you're running Xterm for CLI commands.  Would the different outputs be due to Xterm and Bash treating the command differently?  Just a theory.

securitybreach
40 minutes ago, Hedon James said:

a little above my paygrade AB, but is it possible the different commands are being run in different terminals/shells, with differing syntax treatments?

I saw above your aliases are in "bourne again shell" (BASH) profile, but I think you said you're running Xterm for CLI commands.  Would the different outputs be due to Xterm and Bash treating the command differently?  Just a theory.

Xterm uses bash by default. Bash, Zsh(zshell), Fsh and others are simply various Unix shells. Xterm, gnome-terminal, konsole, etc. are terminal emulators.

Think of bash, zsh, fsh, etc as environments and xterm, konsole, etc as programs that lets you interact with that environment.

• Like 1

abarbarian
On 5/27/2020 at 12:14 PM, securitybreach said:

I am guessing that your reply relates to this section of the Bash Reference Manual,(which would take a lifetime of study to understand never mind allow me to use it with any expertise)

https://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/bash/bashref.html#Modifying-Shell-Behavior

I have made some changes to the way bash acts in .bashrc. So far though every alias I have made acts exactly as the original cli would. I can not see that any changes made in .bashrc that would alter the output of an alias.

So am still puzzled.

😎

abarbarian
2 hours ago, Hedon James said:

You anticipated my question!  Thanks for the link.  Would it be safe to say that a terminal runs outside of X (or Wayland), while terminal emulators run on top of, or within, X?  Other than that distinction, I don't really see a difference.

I see Josh gave you a link but this may help even more, or not, lol.

Computer terminal

A computer terminal is an electronic or electromechanical hardware device that can be used for entering data into, and displaying or printing data from, a computer or a computing system.[1] The teletype was an example of an early day hardcopy terminal,[2] and predated the use of a computer screen by decades.[3]

🤓

• Agree 1

securitybreach
1 hour ago, abarbarian said:

I am guessing that your reply relates to this section of the Bash Reference Manual,(which would take a lifetime of study to understand never mind allow me to use it with any expertise)

https://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/bash/bashref.html#Modifying-Shell-Behavior

I have made some changes to the way bash acts in .bashrc. So far though every alias I have made acts exactly as the original cli would. I can not see that any changes made in .bashrc that would alter the output of an alias.

So am still puzzled.

😎

No, I simply meant it would depend on the switches that you used. That was before you posted the two commands. By switches, I meant the options that you used. Like

ls -la

-la is the switches for ls

abarbarian
3 hours ago, securitybreach said:

No, I simply meant it would depend on the switches that you used. That was before you posted the two commands. By switches, I meant the options that you used. Like

ls -la

-la is the switches for ls

Ok I see what you meant.

However I still do not know why I have a different output. 🤔

securitybreach
2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

Ok I see what you meant.

However I still do not know why I have a different output. 🤔

Yeah, me neither 😕

securitybreach
10 hours ago, abarbarian said:

I'll ask over at the Arch forums. 😎

Ha, good luck with that. You better do due diligence and search first :hysterical:

• Like 1

securitybreach
2 hours ago, abarbarian said:

By gum the world must be ending as I not only got a reply over at the Arch forums, it was a very kind and useful reply.

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1907592#p1907592

Well done them friendly helpful folk at the Arch Forums :th_1sm168massbounce::worthy::worthy::th_1sm168massbounce:

Well that was because they felt bad for you having to run Windowmaker. ;) :hysterical:

There were some good info in the comments :thumbsup:

• Haha 1